Penn's Peak show,who's going?

Discuss the band.

Re: Penn's Peak show,who's going?

Postby Dar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:09 pm

Bonnie wrote:Good morning! I always wake up in a good mood the morning after a Poco show. As Bill has said, there are quite a few areas around here that play on the "poco" theme with their names.
Last night at Penn's Peak was great! It is my favorite concert venue, and the fact that it is ten minutes from my home is an added bonus. And I finally got to meet some fairly local nuts, which made it all the more fun.
Jonathan Edwards was a nice surprise. I saw him in 1975 or so, and then once I started having kids, I kind of forgot about his music. He looks great, plays and sings with lots of energy. His voice hasn't changed a bit. It was very enjoyable, and I think I will check out his website to see what he's been up to for the last 30 years.
Firefall was good as usual. I think the last time I saw them it was an acoustic set up, and I gotta say, I liked the acoustic set up better. But they were good, and played the songs that I was wanting to hear. Their drummer sat in with Jonathan Edwards for their last song, and Poco's whole set.
Poco really outdid themselves last night. They sounded nearly perfect to my ears. Some of the stand out moments, to me (they all were, but maybe I can pick a few) were Pickin' Up the Pieces/Grand Junction--loved, just loved Rusty in this song(s). He attacks the dobro with such precision, skill, and ARTISTRY, just as he does the pedal steel, which brings me to my next moment--Magnolia--I actually get lost in that tune. Jack's Hard Country--he sang so soulfully, it almost brought tears to my eyes. What a great song! Keep on Tryin'--loved the harmonies, of course.
Paul's vocals and guitar--I can't find words. That guitar is a monster, and only Paul can do it justice. Loved all of his solo's. My brother and I were having an important discussion on guitar players, and we both agreed that Paul's solos and riffs are so tasty, well placed, and always leave you wanting more. (which is a whole lot better than being bombarded with loud, fast, gratuitous notes).
It all ended much too quickly with Good Feeling to Know, which had many people on their feet clapping and dancing.
I loved meeting and talking to the Poconuts--Dar and family--she raised her kid right. He loves Poco too, Ken, the Cimarron's, MsUp, oh no! I'm flaking on your name, I'm sorry, but you know who you are--from St. Claire. I always have to be told people's names several times before I remember them. (I am embarrassed :oops: )

was great to finally meet you too,was also great to see some friends too,claudia,ken,karl,linda and keith,tom hampton,jeff finn,the boys,and mary of course,bob and ellen,any anyone i forgot,was a great nite,cant wait to do it all again
Dar

Postby Dar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:11 pm

MsUp wrote:MsUp (sockless Claudia) & the Cimarrons (Keith & Linda) have re-joined the living (us 'dirty stay outs' were up till 2:30AM). What a super night of LIVE music, friendship and family. Loved meeting all the (not really) new nuts, and hanging with the (not really) old nuts. Jonathan Edwards was terrific, I hadn't seen him in years, but he still puts on a great show (if you are reading this 'T' in Scotland, girlfriend, did I get a big hug for you, from Jon), the full band version of Firefall were wonderful, I always enjoy them, and POCO blew my socks away, as well as, my heart, all the way to the Keys (I'm gonna have to fly south to collect them). The musicanship was impeccable, vocals powerful, I just can't wipe the silly grin off my face.

Very well said, Bonnie & Bill, and then some.

SET LIST (from my memory, could be missing something)
Under The Gun (socks gone)
Call It Love
Rose Of Cimarron (speechless)
Indian Summer
Shake It / Barbados (awesome)
Keep On Tryin' (the gift, from Tim, that keeps on givin')
Crazy Love (Rusty really nailed it last night - WOW !)
Pickin' Up The Pieces
Grand Junction
Bad Weather (OMG that was beautiful, Paul)
Hard Country (picture perfect, Jack)
A Little Rain Don't Bother Me (Rusty better record this one)
Magnolia (those were tears of joy, honest)
Heart Of The Night (MsUp loves this song, this sooooo sooooo much)
ENCOREditto! had a great time
A Good Feelin' To Know (all were up, on their feet, like the old days)

Thanks for bookin' 'em Finster (Jeff Fin), thanks to Keith & Linda for the door to door and hospitality, always good to see my bud Karl, Dar-Chuck-Michael, Tom Hampton, Bonnie & Bill, Ken, Bob & Ellen, and of course, the lovely Mary. I must add that Sandy Ficca did a bang up job, pulling triple duty (playing drums for Jonathan on one number, with his own band Firefall, and sittin' in with Poco, coverin' for George Lawrence). You rock, Sandy. We are now preparing for round two in Natick, Ma. tonight, and to seeing more nuts and our beautiful POCO. It's another nice day in the great Northeast, not as hot and humid as yesterday (however, hazy, hot & humid is good for the vocals).

Who loves you, Poco ?
sockless Claudia, that's who !
was great! how can i forget sandy,he was great!
Dar

Postby pocoman54 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:13 pm

It really sounds like everyone had a great time.

Just to update you guys ... Cindi's surgery (the reason why I wasn't there) went extremely well. The surgeon was very pleased with how her voice survived the surgery. She is now home and has two weeks off from work to recover.

Waiting for Bethel Woods and PNC ...

Danny
Pocoin' In Lima, NY
Danny
pocoman54

Postby Dar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:40 pm

pocoman54 wrote:It really sounds like everyone had a great time.

Just to update you guys ... Cindi's surgery (the reason why I wasn't there) went extremely well. The surgeon was very pleased with how her voice survived the surgery. She is now home and has two weeks off from work to recover.

Danny

missed you alot,hope to see you and cindi again soon,glad her surgery went very well,prayers for a quick and easy recovery,hugs,dar
Dar

Postby pocoman54 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks Dar ...
Pocoin' In Lima, NY
Danny
pocoman54

Postby Bonnie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:09 pm

That's good news, Dan. I hope she continues to recover quickly and completely. You were missed last night for sure. Hope to see you some time soon.
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby StClairSteve » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:47 am

Finally got to digest and savor what I experienced last night.Bravo to all involved.Jonathan,Firefall,Poco and the gracious fans I met after the show.Sure wish I had kept a closer eye on this forum leading up to the show but I did get to meet a few of the stars that post.Bonnie,her brother Tom,Ken who trekked in from State College and some gal who was actually at the last Poco concert I had attended(Feb '71 Carnegie Hall).Can't recall her name but she was acknowledged by Rusty during the course of the show.
The venue is spectacular.If you get the chance to see any show there you will not be disappointed.I live less than an hour away but due to an evening work schedule I don't get to take in many live shows.I felt Poco deserved taking a night off and I was right.I will follow this up with Southside Johnny this Friday.
I am on board for Furay at the Sellersville Theater in late August.I will be sporting an unused blinkie presented to me by Bonnie after the show.
Anyway,this is my first post but I better add a few more down the line to gain entry to the Poconut community.Seems like a comfortable place to reside.
StClairSteve

Postby MsUp » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:13 pm

pocoman54 wrote:It really sounds like everyone had a great time.

Danny

Great news, Danny. Regards to Cindi !
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:41 am

Welcome to 'the nuthouse', StClairSteve.
I'm not sure if we met, at Penn's Peak (I'm Claudia, aka MsUp).
MsUp

Postby Dar » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:16 am

welcome
Dar

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion