Penn's Peak show,who's going?

Discuss the band.

Re: Penn's Peak show,who's going?

Postby Dar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:26 am

wheland wrote:Esther and I will have to miss the show tomorrow.

We've just learned that one of her favorite Uncles (and the last one still living) is very ill and is not expected to be with us much longer. He went into hospice- at home- yesterday.

We are going up to Hyde Park, NY tomorrow afternoon. Priorities.

Anybody in the NJ area need tickets?

Dennis

i am so sorry,condolences to esther,gonna miss ya
Dar

Postby billM » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:34 pm

What an incredible night of music at Penn's Peak! The stage lit up around 7:30 and with 2 intermissions the last song played after 11pm!
Had a hard time keeping my eyes dry for the Poco songs they were bringing back a lot of memories.
I only regret that I didn't have cash with me to purchase CD's and t-shirts after the show.

BTW, around here there are streets named pohopoco drive and circle and a poco lane, seriously, google it in lehighton.;)

Thanks for the great music and fantastic memories. We sat just behind the tambourine player in the audience, What were their names? Ed and Deb?

I always wondered what other Poco fans looked like. ;)
billM

Postby kroney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks billm....welcome aboard !
Have been waiting to get a report from someone who attended....
I have the same problem with my eyes....my wife thinks I'm a nut....she's right. Poconut!
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby billM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:40 am

i've played in a lot of band over the years and there was never anyone that knew Poco when I talked about them. I always suggested covering some of their tunes but it never happened. All these years and I've only met one person that knew the band, and that was today at work. I was shocked.

After the show the guys came down and signed things that people brought. I could have brought all the old albums and CD's with but you know, I just wanted to shake their hands and thank them. We came home and listened to more of the Stagecoach show that they talked about at the concert last night.

Sorry I don't have the memory for songs that were played. I should have wrote them down. Paul had his old white hollow body guitar. Rusty, Paul and Jack all played their own tunes and all were excellent. Paul did Magnolia (that's when the emotions got the better of me) Jack did an excellent tune, one that made me want his CD badly, Rusty told a story of where he lives in Missouri and played what he called an unrecorded song about not minding the rain. They opened with newer tunes and went back in time from there.

Firefall and Jonathan Edwards were perfect opening acts.
billM

Postby billM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:02 am

More on the show...
Penn's Peak was built by a local country band, actually it was a family. They would play there and have other acts there too. They did well for a few years but I think the family started moving on and it wasn't working out as well.
It sat empty for a couple of years until the local communications company bought it. It's owned now by Pencor and a pet of one of the owners, Fred. It sits on the side of the Call Mountain which gives it an incredible view of the valley and all of the mountains below. Farther down the chain there is the Pohopoco mountain, they say pohopoco means where mountains are close, and indeed they are. Jim Thorpe is about 3 miles to the west, At the hall is a restaurant with fairly good food. Drinks are served there and in the hall there's a bar and a small window where food is served as well.

For the Poco concert there were no more than 600 people there. Not a bad seat in the place. We've been there for other bands, this was the smallest number of seats of the ones we went to.

There was a couple sitting 2 rows in front of us that were a bit gone. They actually walked up to the stage and asked Rusty if he would let the woman play the tambourine. The interaction was odd but it made for great jokes later. Especially when Rusty told the crowd not to mention the amborine-tay in case Ed and Deb hear it. Sure enough up runs Deb to ask to play again. Everyone was laughing.

We live about 10 minutes away down the mountain. It's actually one of the closest things to our house other than the Schoolhouse Tavern.
billM

Postby kroney » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:16 am

billM wrote:i've played in a lot of band over the years and there was never anyone that knew Poco when I talked about them. I always suggested covering some of their tunes but it never happened. All these years and I've only met one person that knew the band, and that was today at work. I was shocked.

After the show the guys came down and signed things that people brought. I could have brought all the old albums and CD's with but you know, I just wanted to shake their hands and thank them. We came home and listened to more of the Stagecoach show that they talked about at the concert last night.

Sorry I don't have the memory for songs that were played. I should have wrote them down. Paul had his old white hollow body guitar. Rusty, Paul and Jack all played their own tunes and all were excellent. Paul did Magnolia (that's when the emotions got the better of me) Jack did an excellent tune, one that made me want his CD badly, Rusty told a story of where he lives in Missouri and played what he called an unrecorded song about not minding the rain. They opened with newer tunes and went back in time from there.

Firefall and Jonathan Edwards were perfect opening acts.

Jacks tune is called "Hard Country" and Rusty's is "A Little Rain Don't Bother Me"
Hard Country is on Jacks CD.."By My Own Hand", You really need to get it...not a bad tune on it...I guarantee you...
Also check out the CD "Idlewheel" that Jack did with his friend and one of his writing partners Craig Bickhardt...(Craig's recordings are all also excellent)
Of course Pauls solo efforts are superb too.
Don't worry about not jotting down the set list, we all know it by memory but we still hold out for the possibility that something new will be thrown in...
Glad to hear you had such a good time......
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby billM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:21 am

Hard Country was excellent.

How do you know I had a good time....does it show?
Much?

:lol:
billM

Postby Bonnie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:44 am

Good morning! I always wake up in a good mood the morning after a Poco show. As Bill has said, there are quite a few areas around here that play on the "poco" theme with their names.
Last night at Penn's Peak was great! It is my favorite concert venue, and the fact that it is ten minutes from my home is an added bonus. And I finally got to meet some fairly local nuts, which made it all the more fun.
Jonathan Edwards was a nice surprise. I saw him in 1975 or so, and then once I started having kids, I kind of forgot about his music. He looks great, plays and sings with lots of energy. His voice hasn't changed a bit. It was very enjoyable, and I think I will check out his website to see what he's been up to for the last 30 years.
Firefall was good as usual. I think the last time I saw them it was an acoustic set up, and I gotta say, I liked the acoustic set up better. But they were good, and played the songs that I was wanting to hear. Their drummer sat in with Jonathan Edwards for their last song, and Poco's whole set.
Poco really outdid themselves last night. They sounded nearly perfect to my ears. Some of the stand out moments, to me (they all were, but maybe I can pick a few) were Pickin' Up the Pieces/Grand Junction--loved, just loved Rusty in this song(s). He attacks the dobro with such precision, skill, and ARTISTRY, just as he does the pedal steel, which brings me to my next moment--Magnolia--I actually get lost in that tune. Jack's Hard Country--he sang so soulfully, it almost brought tears to my eyes. What a great song! Keep on Tryin'--loved the harmonies, of course.
Paul's vocals and guitar--I can't find words. That guitar is a monster, and only Paul can do it justice. Loved all of his solo's. My brother and I were having an important discussion on guitar players, and we both agreed that Paul's solos and riffs are so tasty, well placed, and always leave you wanting more. (which is a whole lot better than being bombarded with loud, fast, gratuitous notes).
It all ended much too quickly with Good Feeling to Know, which had many people on their feet clapping and dancing.
I loved meeting and talking to the Poconuts--Dar and family--she raised her kid right. He loves Poco too, Ken, the Cimarron's, MsUp, oh no! I'm flaking on your name, I'm sorry, but you know who you are--from St. Claire. I always have to be told people's names several times before I remember them. (I am embarrassed :oops: )
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby billM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:12 am

so why in the world didn't i find this forum BEFORE i went to the concert! it would have been great to meet folks from here there. :oops:
billM

Postby MsUp » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:57 am

MsUp (sockless Claudia) & the Cimarrons (Keith & Linda) have re-joined the living (us 'dirty stay outs' were up till 2:30AM). What a super night of LIVE music, friendship and family. Loved meeting all the (not really) new nuts, and hanging with the (not really) old nuts. Jonathan Edwards was terrific, I hadn't seen him in years, but he still puts on a great show (if you are reading this 'T' in Scotland, girlfriend, did I get a big hug for you, from Jon), the full band version of Firefall were wonderful, I always enjoy them, and POCO blew my socks away, as well as, my heart, all the way to the Keys (I'm gonna have to fly south to collect them). The musicanship was impeccable, vocals powerful, I just can't wipe the silly grin off my face.

Very well said, Bonnie & Bill, and then some.

SET LIST (from my memory, could be missing something)
Under The Gun (socks gone)
Call It Love
Rose Of Cimarron (speechless)
Indian Summer
Shake It / Barbados (awesome)
Keep On Tryin' (the gift, from Tim, that keeps on givin')
Crazy Love (Rusty really nailed it last night - WOW !)
Pickin' Up The Pieces
Grand Junction
Bad Weather (OMG that was beautiful, Paul)
Hard Country (picture perfect, Jack)
A Little Rain Don't Bother Me (Rusty better record this one)
Magnolia (those were tears of joy, honest)
Heart Of The Night (MsUp loves this song, sooooo sooooo much)
ENCORE
A Good Feelin' To Know (all were up, on their feet, like the old days)

Thanks for bookin' 'em Finster (Jeff Fin), thanks to Keith & Linda for the door to door and hospitality, always good to see my bud Karl, Dar-Chuck-Michael, Tom Hampton, Bonnie (thanks for the guitar blinky), brother Tom, Bill, Ken, Bob & Ellen, and of course, the lovely Mary. I must add that Sandy Ficca did a bang up job, pulling triple duty (playing drums for Jonathan on one number, with his own band Firefall, and sittin' in with Poco, coverin' for George Lawrence). You rock, Sandy. We are now preparing for round two in Natick, Ma. tonight, and to seeing more nuts and our beautiful POCO. It's another nice day in the great Northeast, not as hot and humid as yesterday (however, hazy, hot & humid is good for the vocals).

Who loves you, Poco ?
sockless Claudia, that's who !
Last edited by MsUp on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MsUp

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion