NPC- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band New album

Discuss the band.

NPC- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band New album

Postby wheland » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:04 am

I just read this over on the Folkzine website.

Dennis

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band New CD in September: Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, often cited as a catalyst in country and roots music, has finished work on their first studio album in five years, Speed of Life. Out September 22 on NGDB Records, distributed by Sugar Hill, the new album finds them typically laid back and ramshackle on a set of songs anchored by the core band of Jeff Hanna, Jimmie Fadden, Bob Carpenter, and John McEuen.
Recorded in Nashville's Blackbird Studio and produced by George Massenburg and Grammy award winning singer/songwriter Jon Randall Stewart, Speed of Life kicks off with Jimmie Fadden's harmonica on the opening track "Tulsa Sounds Like Trouble to Me," setting the tone for an album that spans the gamut from the wistful vocal harmony of "Resurrection" to "Lost In The Pines," featuring John McEuen's evocative banjo. Speed of Life features 13 tracks, including new tunes penned by the band (with help from a handful of friends) and two covers: the Canned Heat classic "Going Up The Country" and "Stuck In The Middle."

One of the first to join the disparate scenes of classic old-time and country music with the then nascent California folk-rock movement, the early recordings and collaborations were a prelude to the genre now known as Americana. NGDB are the recipients of the International Bluegrass Music Association Recorded Event of the Year award and a 2005 Grammy for Country Instrumental Performance (with Earl Scruggs, Randy Scruggs, Jerry Douglas and the late Vassar Clements).
wheland

Re: NPC- Nitty Gritty Dirt Band New album

Postby Lonesomedave » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks Dennis. Looks like one to buy....
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Dave Densmore » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:44 am

Went to pre-order this on their website this morning. The price was a reasonable $10.99. But then they wanted $5.45 for shipping. Guess I'll wait until it goes on Amazon, where Woody Creek is going for $.90 + 2.98 for shipping.
Dave Densmore

Postby wheland » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:48 am

Dave Densmore wrote:Went to pre-order this on their website this morning. The price was a reasonable $10.99. But then they wanted $5.45 for shipping. Guess I'll wait until it goes on Amazon, where Woody Creek is going for $.90 + 2.98 for shipping.

Dave,

That's a much better price- $3.88 including shipping. If you spent $24.10 more at Amazon the shipping would be free. :D

Dennis
wheland

Postby jerzeypocofan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Sounds good to me to bad Ibby won't be on this one :(
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby Dar » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:26 pm

8-) thanx 8-)
Dar

Postby Dave Densmore » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:45 am

jerzeypocofan wrote:Sounds good to me to bad Ibby won't be on this one :(

I agree about Ibby,I always thought he WAS the nitty gritty. I'll miss his contibutes.
Dave Densmore

Return to Poco Discussion