Springsteen

Discuss the band.

Re: Springsteen

Postby sunsetkidd » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:54 pm

TonyNYC wrote:No, Jim, I don't remember ever hearing that extra verse and thanks for posting it. Always liked The Price You Pay, but would have been even better if he hadn't written the similar sounding Promised Land.

Of course, I couldn't resist checking out some of the nearby songs. One of my favorites was always Independence Day and I do remember this spoken introduction and it still moves me. And I'm still sure he wrote this about me and my father.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fau9jkIo ... re=related

Yes, it is a similar song to Promised Land, and I've always thought it's intentional; sort of like the sequel, or 'flip side', or dark side, of the same theme; he even references it in the song...'Do you remember the story of the Promised Land?'...and hell yeah, there are so many out-of-the-ordinary Bruce vids here, and many are just amazing. Haven't clicked your link to Independence Day yet but I'm about to. If you haven't yet, check out things like Lift Me Up, Stolen Car (live and alternate versions), Trapped (live in Germany less than a month ago, my favorite Boss cover). Lift Me Up, which I had never ever heard before, is from a 1999 movie called Limbo; another one of those, 'that's Springsteen?' songs.

yeah, that's a great intro to, and a great version, of Independence Day. One of those that always hit home with me. As you probably know a sort-of similar intro, which always moved me, appears before the River on the live CD box set from '85...that one's like prose which could easily be made into a movie.

one more goodie to throw at you, if you haven't stumbled upon it...check out this rocked up version of Point Blank! I love it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRgDr-m2 ... re=related
Last edited by sunsetkidd on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby TonyNYC » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Yes, got to agree with you on a couple of things, Jim:

Trapped is Bruce's best cover and it's a lot different than Jimmy Cliff's original which I also like.

That River story from the boxed set is like a great short story, Raymond-one of my favorite writers-Carver style.

And Lift Me Up is just beautiful. I remember sitting in the theater-Sayles is one of my favorite directors-watching the credits roll down the screen and hearing this ethereal song and trying to figure out who's doing it and after a bit I'm thinking damn could it be Springsteen. I got it on one of his three CD compilations with the last CD having Trapped, None But The Brave, Viva Las Vegas, From Small Things on it.
TonyNYC

Postby sunsetkidd » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:29 pm

I love Jimmy Cliff, but honestly, after finally hearing his original 'Trapped' many years after the Bruce version, I thought it paled in comparison!
Never saw the Sayles flick 'Limbo'...I take it that you liked it...now I'm going to look it up.

one more thing...concerning the Promised Land/Price You Pay comparison...I do believe it was meant as a 'sequel'...and this, I think, is just one more thing that puts Springsteen way ahead of folks like Seger, Mellencamp, etc...listen to the comparison in the vocals of the two songs...similar song arrangement, as you pointed out, but the exuberant optimism in the earlier song is replaced by a down, defeated, smoky, yet beautifully sung tone in 'Price'...just a brilliant, intentional (yet AUTHENTIC) touch.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby TonyNYC » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:40 pm

sunsetkidd wrote:I love Jimmy Cliff, but honestly, after finally hearing his original 'Trapped' many years after the Bruce version, I thought it paled in comparison!
Never saw the Sayles flick 'Limbo'...I take it that you liked it...now I'm going to look it up.

Maybe not one of Sayles' best. I prefer Brother From Another Planet, Lone Star, City Of Hope, Return Of The Seacaucus Seven, Eight Men Out, but I love watching all the things and styles he's tried.

And yes, Cliff's version pales, but it's till pretty good and has such a different feel.
TonyNYC

Postby duffyb » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Very cool Bogey. I see your iBook there. Are you using Garageband?
duffyb

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm

duffyb wrote:Very cool Bogey. I see your iBook there. Are you using Garageband?

Thanks! Actually, its an old Titanium Powerbook, 1Ghz, 1GB RAM It was a screamer when I bought it. Now it barely limps along. I'm hoping it will stay functional until Christmas for me to finally go Pentium and OSX.5. About six months ago I installed a faster hard drive. The battery life is getting worse, possibly because of the faster drive.

I'm using Garageband version 2 which I installed in '05. Its only 16bit, but as long as you are careful setting recording levels, it sounds great and it has more than enough features for me. I don't know if I'm going to upgrade or not to the '09 or '10 version. I may just dedicate this computer to doing Garageband and I don't know if the new Garageband is compatible with OSX.4. It seems like every time I upgrade, stuff goes slower!
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:42 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Trapped is Bruce's best cover and it's a lot different than Jimmy Cliff's original which I also like.

I know how I could really #@$! you guys off! After watching Annie Lennox perform Jimmy Cliff's, "Many Rivers To Cross", I had to learn it. But like "Thunder Road", some of the lyrics are too over the top to sing straight.
:roll:
So, I have been itching to record that puppy. You will be happy to know, I'm dedicating it to "Jim & Tony"!
:D
Here is the American Idol Lennox version. She's great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91kf_6ifgjI
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion