Springsteen

Discuss the band.

Springsteen

Postby sunsetkidd » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:28 pm

A cool acoustic Springsteen video. Something about it just appeals to me.

I didn't think he had this in him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnC2jdve ... re=related
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Re: Springsteen

Postby Bogeyfire » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 pm

sunsetkidd wrote:Okay, either my computer or the forum is messing up here...I can't seem to edit my post

:lol:
Its all an evil plot!

Speaking of Springsteen, That was the black and white all star concert? Loved it!

I really liked this video of Springsteen with Melissa Etheridge. I liked it so much I learned the song. Memorizing the lyrics, I finally figured out how over-the-top the lyrics were! I still sing the song, but changed the lyrics up a little a-la Weird Al!
:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpyxh3x ... annel_page
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby TonyNYC » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Oh yee of little faith, Jim...Springsteen can do it ALL

And Bogey, Thunder Road is my favorite all time song, hands down, from that piano/harmonica opening to the Roy Orbison reference all the way to the build up and all the way to the fade that I always wish would go on forever.
TonyNYC

Postby Bogeyfire » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:06 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Oh yee of little faith, Jim...Springsteen can do it ALL

And Bogey, Thunder Road is my favorite all time song, hands down, from that piano/harmonica opening to the Roy Orbison reference all the way to the build up and all the way to the fade that I always wish would go on forever.

When it gets into the whole zombie / ghost thing, I just roll my eyes.
My lyrics are:
I bought this guitar 'cause the damn thing was supposed to talk!

...from your front porch, to my front seat,
the door's open but the ride ain't free
I know your hungry for birds, you gotta be jokin'
but tonight they'll be free, all their yolks will be broken!

There were ghosts in the eyes of all the turds your turned away,
They haunt these dusty beach roads in their speedos and chevrolets,
They're negilees lie in rags at your feet.
And, in the lonley cool before dawn,
They run naked across your lawn,
But when you get to the porch they're gone,
on the wind...

:roll:
Last edited by Bogeyfire on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bogeyfire

Postby sunsetkidd » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Hey Tony.

Sorry for doubting the Boss. I have to say, this past week I'm on a Springsteen roll, rediscovering him (as I do every few years, usually in the summer); listening to him going to work, and at home on the PC. It started with wanting to hear the live 4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy)...then that got me wanting to hear the rest of my 'summer' favorites (to me, Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town and the River are SUMMER. They bring back memories of my youth like NOTHING else can)
For many years Thunder Road was my favorite too...and sometimes it is again! But then I'll reconnect with another that blows me away just a bit more.
Yeah, the Boss loved Roy Orbison, as do I. BTW Bruce's 'leah' is obviously a tribute to Roy's 'leah'...they are similar, but not the same song. Bruce is in the 'Black and White Night' vid with Roy singing his beautiful 'leah'.
I'd have to say, that Springsteen works harder at his craft to stay as good as he can be, especially vocally, as anyone out there. And he does work at it; it's obvious. There was a time I thought Bruce just couldn't knock it out of the park anymore...but I was wrong. I can't think of anyone else, at his age, with maybe the exception of Richie Furay, who is as good as he ever was, as Springsteen.
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby Bogeyfire » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:23 am

sunsetkidd wrote:

For many years Thunder Road was my favorite too...

Well, don't get me wrong. I like the song. But the lyrics just go from an inspirational love song to a zombie ghost song that I think shows he didn't have full control of his intensity in his youth.

I love the changed up chord progressions and the phrasing. That is excellent and caused me to learn the song. The lyrics are kind of like the "The Last Sunset" by Paul. At first you are really taken in by the conceptual words that we can all identify with. Then, all of a sudden you are on a pirate ship with canon balls blowing you to kingdom come as you sink into the briny deep!

Bruce has zombies in burned out Chevrolets haunting beach roads and drifting on the wind. As a hack of a guitar player, I can't sing those lyrics with a straight face.

That being said, the version of "Thunder Road" I posted above with Melissa is on on my "favorites" panel of my YouTube channel. In addition, I love the dedication Bruce did of "Thunder Road" for Tim Russert on piano. Its all good, even if some of it makes you roll your eyes!
:roll:
Also, I believe Bruce is getting better and better. I love the more acoustic grownup Bruce. Back when I was in high school and the critics were wondering if Bruce was the new "Dylan" as he was singing "Strap your hands across my engines", I was rolling my eyes way back then!
:mrgreen:
Bogeyfire

Postby svin » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:31 am

I have a bootleg of culled performances done during the various acoustic tours / shows BS has done over the years.
Listening to these songs reveals nuances of the songs that are ordinarily lost in the studio mixes or onstage, and focuses more attention on lyrical content.
Although I've witnessed many BS shows, I've never made it to one of these solo acoustic shows, much to my regret.
Like a lot of people, my opinion is BS can do no wrong, although I believe it's with the E Street Band he shows to his best advantage.
However, listening to him perform his songs in a solo acoustic setting is an unique experience of it's own.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby sunsetkidd » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:54 am

more Springsteen surprises; when I saw Angel Eyes, I thought he was gonna cover Hiatt...WRONG, it's Frank Sinatra, and he pulls it off! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-em5cWF ... re=related
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby TonyNYC » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:02 pm

Well, I probably play Springsteen more than anybody else though I don't think he's getting better and better and I don't think he's as good as he's ever been (Richie either), but he's still as good as anyone else with his albums from The Rising and he's better than anybody else live. And yes, he's good and interesting solo and should not be missed, but he's the best with the E Streeters.

And Bogey it is blasphemous what you did to the Thunder Road lyrics. Yes, they were back in his exuberant wordy youthful multi metaphor phase, but they still work for me and I find them easy to follow and "I know you're lonely/For words that I ain't spoken/But tonight we''ll be free/All the promises'll be broken" is great rock n roll words and the last two lines "It's a town full of losers/And I'm pulling out of here to win" are well perfect.

And of course, he's the perfect soundtrack for the 4th, and the 3rd, of July.

I guess it's nearly time for Kim to post and say she doesn't go for Bruce...that CSN was better at that Festival he just played.

But I saw that set list and it would have taken the rest of us all the way to heaven
TonyNYC

Postby AlexInRI » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Thunder Road is incredible because it takes so many turns. No two verses have the same chords and it's like one long twisting road. I know he was never into drugs but the way he wrote that song is so unusual. No verse chorus verse bridge chorus verse for him. The whole song is like one long verse. And the lyrics are some of the best he ever wrote.

I've been playing that song forever but it's like holding your breath underwater. Eventually I run out of gas. I've seldom been able to finish the song without stopping near the end. If I ever get it right I'll post my version on youtube. I absolutely love that song.

No longer a Springsteenista though. I saw him on his E Street shuffle tour and then every tour right through The River. Haven't seen him live in decades. The E Street Shuffle album is one of my all time favorites-probably because that's when I really became a fan. My sister attended a dance at a frat at Brown University that he played. She told me he was pretty good. Now that's ancient history.
AlexInRI

Next

Return to Poco Discussion