Springsteen

Discuss the band.

Re: Springsteen

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:08 pm

TonyNYC wrote:...Springsteen's 'love' songs seemed to be more about the boardwalk, the incidents out on the streets and the highway were more important characters than the girl usually was...

Springsteen seems to have a lot of autobiographical songs. I prefer songs like "Thunder Road" which are more generic boy / girl and less about him singing about himself, which he does a lot! My motivation may be a little different, as I am always seeking music that speaks to me in case I want to learn it. It would be hard for me to sing about Bruce's personal experiences. That's just creepy!

But I do love his rich illustrations. He paints a picture where you and see and feel the environment where the girl does become just a figure in the scene. Mark Knopfler has his share of misses, but when he paints a picture, he can really place you in the scene!
"What It Is"
The drinking dens are spilling out
There's staggering in the square
There's lads and lasses falling about
And a crackling in the air
Down around the dungeon doors
The shelters and the queues
Everybody's looking for
Somebody's arms to fall into

That's what it is
It's what it is now

There's frost on the graves and the monuments
But the taverns are warm in town
People curse the government
And shovel hot food down...

I think that is really good stuff! And, he does it all without talking about himself. He's a wonderful story writer.

"Tunnel Of Love"
"Brothers In Arms"
"Sultans Of Swing"

I wish all his writing was like the above. Unfortunately, he also disappoints with a lot of irritating fodder. Joni Mitchell has a way of doing that too. But ,damn if she can't illustrate a scene when she wants!
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby AlexInRI » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:07 pm

I messed around recording today and I think I can do this. Of course the kids were in the pool making lots for background noise so my vocals are unuseable. But that's ok because I'm still figuring out how to use this machine. Of course, once I finish recording the challenge will be to learn how to master and move it to my computer. Techincal issues are always something I procrastinate on. I still haven't watched the entire instructional DVD.

I think it's great that you all have such strong opinions about Bruce, Bob and John. I enjoy reading them. I've spent the last 20 years or so listening to a lot of different things. I don't have any of Bruce's recent stuff, I don't own any Mellencamp and I think I have a Seger greatest hits that I bought for my wife. Not my thing. I like all three and I'd go see them if I had the opportunity. My only opinion is that I think Mellencamp and Seger should quit smoking.
AlexInRI

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:45 pm

AlexInRI wrote:...I think I have a Seger greatest hits that I bought for my wife. Not my thing. I like all three and I'd go see them if I had the opportunity. My only opinion is that I think Mellencamp and Seger should quit smoking.

Mellencamp is a militant smoker. He was smoking 5 packs a day. That is hard to do! I understand after quadruple bypass surgery he still insists on smoking. I also recall Seger was starting to tour again a year or two ago, but really needed to get back into shape. If he's a heavy smoker, that's hard to do. Hell, its even hard if you don't smoke at our age!

I had the radio on today doing yard work. Seger's "Horizontal Bop" came on. I think that is just a horrible classless song. He has a good rock and roll voice, but screaming about Katmandu or doing the "horizontal bop" cheapen his efforts to be known as a committed artist, imho.
Bogeyfire

Postby TonyNYC » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:50 pm

Since I don't hang out with Mellencamp and Seger, I don't care at all if they smoke or not.

I may not be a big fan of Seger's 'Horizontal Bop', but it's just fun rock n roll
no different than Ramrod or Hurts So Good and it doesn't effect how I look at their other songs.

And Bogey, I have to give you a mixed review on your version of Thunder Road. Some of your phrasing gives it life and I like your voice and those parts I was surprised at how much I liked it, but a couple of your phrasings sounded like they were from a nursery rhyme and I wanted to boo your butt.
TonyNYC

Postby AlexInRI » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:16 pm

TonyNYC wrote: but a couple of your phrasings sounded like they were from a nursery rhyme and I wanted to boo your butt.

Ouch.
AlexInRI

Postby AlexInRI » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:19 pm

[quote="TonyNYC"]Since I don't hang out with Mellencamp and Seger, I don't care at all if they smoke or not.

I should have elaborated a little more. Since I don't hang out with them it isn't the hygenic aspect of the smoking. It's the effect on their voice, Seger in particular.
AlexInRI

Postby Bogeyfire » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:25 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Since I don't hang out with Mellencamp and Seger, I don't care at all if they smoke or not.

...but a couple of your phrasings sounded like they were from a nursery rhyme and I wanted to boo your butt.

Hey, I don't care if they smoke either, but its hurting their ability to perform. Hell, I used to smoke so I'm not judging their decision other than the fact its kind of like showing up drunk on stage. It cheats the fans when its as prevalent as it is in John Cougar's case.

I'll work on the "phrasing", by the way. No one is more critical of themselves than them self. I wish I could do it justice.
:roll:
Bogeyfire

Postby TonyNYC » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:39 pm

Bogeyfire wrote:
TonyNYC wrote:Since I don't hang out with Mellencamp and Seger, I don't care at all if they smoke or not.

...but a couple of your phrasings sounded like they were from a nursery rhyme and I wanted to boo your butt.

Hey, I don't care if they smoke either, but its hurting their ability to perform. Hell, I used to smoke so I'm not judging their decision other than the fact its kind of like showing up drunk on stage. It cheats the fans when its as prevalent as it is in John Cougar's case.

I'll work on the "phrasing", by the way. No one is more critical of themselves than them self. I wish I could do it justice.
:roll:

By the way, I thought you did a lot of it justice.

I'm pretty critical of myself too and sometimes it's easy to miss the positive stuff.
TonyNYC

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:32 am

TonyNYC wrote:
By the way, I thought you did a lot of it justice.

I'm pretty critical of myself too and sometimes it's easy to miss the positive stuff.

Thank you, Señor! I know that musically, we connect more than not. I place all the pros far above my abilities. My novice recording postings are fair game. On the "Poconut Project", we have made clear we are not critiquing our submissions. It is more about participation. But this isn't part of that.

I suspect there are some Springsteen fans that won't apprciate some of my alterations. I got an ear full a year ago for cutting one of Neil Young's grunge performances. After that, I figured internet reviews are more emotional that critical. But... your critique is more than valid. I may just re-record agian someday and maybe stick to the "real" lyrics.
Bogeyfire

Postby TonyNYC » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:16 am

Bogey...Just thought you might like some feedback and I'm not sure why Alex reacted only to my negative comments. Like I wrote, there were parts I liked.

I know I couldn't do anything at all musically and I'm a bit jealous.
TonyNYC

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion