Fess Parker dies at 85

Discuss the band.

Fess Parker dies at 85

Postby Clay basket » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:47 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/18/AR2010031802823.html
One of my earliest memories, the Davy Crockett series...
Clay basket

Re: Fess Parker dies at 85

Postby studiogirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:58 pm

So long to another cowboy/frontiersman/winemaker.... Fortunately, he had a good and long life, leaving a legacy of entertainment and good wine. Always the gentleman, as well. He will be very much missed by this community.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby MsUp » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm

My sister nick-named him "little teeth" (she thought he had small teeth for a big guy), KIDS ! ! ! But he will always be 'little teeth' to us.

RIP, Fess Parker
MsUp

Postby Dar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:40 pm

;)
Dar

Postby wheland » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Well by all accounts Fess Parker lived a long good life and was a well respected man. He brought much joy to baby boomers as Davy Crockett and then again as an owner of a fine winery and inn near Santa Barbara, CA.

85 years is a good long run for anybody. RIP Mr. Parker.

I never really listened to Alex Chilton in Big Star or solo and was unaware he was part of the Box tops at the time I was buying their 45's.

I only became aware of him in the cd era when things were getting rereleased and all those alternative musicians were citing Big Star and Alex in particular as a big influence.

His death hits a bit harder and closer to home. I'll be 58 in 11 days and have already survived at least one heart attack and bypass surgery.

Alex's live was just taking a turn for the better professionally - he was supposed to play at the SXSW Festival this weekend in austin, TX and there was serious talk of a realreunion tour with Big Star in the works.

59 is not quite young but we all expect a bit more than that.

RIP Alex as well.

Dennis
wheland

Postby mc4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Alex Chilton will be missed. His influence stills abounds in alternative bands to this day. He was a very talented individual who never got the acclaim he deserved, other than from his fellow musicians. In some respects he reminds me of another great singer/songwriter/ guitarist, Paul Cotton. I feel Paul never got the acclaim he deserved, possibly even from his own bandmates. You can say what you want about Messina‘s contribution to Poco. But Paul was the bandmate who was in the trenches with Poco through many years of dutiful service. Song for song on any album, Paul‘s songs were superior to most. It still #@$! me off when Poco did their ’reunion’ album it was Messina‘s project, and Paul was nowhere to be found and Messina was front and center and Richie was off to the side in most promo photos during that time. For Paul to leave over a contract dispute #@$! me off even more, because above all else I always thought of Poco as a ’band‘ not a group of hired hands like the Eagles. People can give their take on what ’happened’ between Paul, Rusty, and managers but if you can’t keep an individual like Paul in your band, then the band should be gone as well. Drop the ‘Doing Business As Poco, and truly hang up your spurs. R.I.P. Alex Chilton, Fess Parker, and Poco.
mc4

Postby busybody » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:51 am

Theres nothing quite like the opinion of the ignorant.
busybody

Postby busybody » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:37 am

mc4 wrote:For Paul to leave over a contract dispute #@$! me off even more, because above all else I always thought of Poco as a ’band‘ not a group of hired hands like the Eagles. People can give their take on what ’happened’ between Paul, Rusty, and managers but if you can’t keep an individual like Paul in your band, then the band should be gone as well.

Get a clue, dude! If Poco is a 'band and not a group of hired hands' then what does it mean when Paul is the one who wanted a contract? By your logic he wanted to be a hired hand like in the Eagles. And you think the band is supposed to break up because one guy wants to leave. So Paul leaves and everybody else is supposed to go get a job at Walmart? WTF???? A little too much moonshine buddy?
busybody

Postby woogie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:15 am

OMG the politics have surfaced like a phoenix from the ashes. :lol:
woogie

Postby woogie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:19 am

Now to get back to the thread in hand.
I remember watching Fess Parker at the movies when I was a kid.He like all the cowboys was a favourite of mine.I am sorry to hear of his passing.I guess none of us are getting any younger.
I seem to remember a tv programme recently where they were at his vineyard,now your talking.RIP Mr Parker you will be missed. :(
woogie

Next

Return to Poco Discussion