Jackson Overkill

Discuss the band.

Jackson Overkill

Postby voycefm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:21 pm

okay, is anyone as sick as i am about all the Jackson coverage? they are treating this man like he was the new messiah. i am so tired of turning on the tv or radio and finding nothing but wall to wall jackson coverage.

now, i will not deny the man's contribution to music. phenomenal. and he is a great dancer. however, i feel the things he did in his personal life are appalling.

THE FOLLOWING IS MY PERSONAL OPINION
my thought when i heard he was dead was "one more child molester off the street". i cannot and will not idolize a man who did those kinds of things to children. Okay, i know he settled the first one, and he was not convicted of the second one. but, hey, OJ was not convicted of killing his wife, also.

as far as the settlement is concerned, if you have enough money to settle a claim for an amount between $15m and $22m, then you have enough money to defend yourself from false accusations. if those kinds of false charges were ever brought against me, i would spend every last dime i had to defend myself and clear my name. every dime.

i just cannot believe it didn't happen.
THE PREVIOUS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION

okay, i am through with my rant. i just can't wait for this to be old news. it won't happen too soon.
"God bless us, every one"
Tiny Tim
voycefm

Re: Jackson Overkill

Postby wheland » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm extremely tired of the over coverage as well- but i'm not sure if it's the fault of the media or the fault of the reaction of many people to his death which astounds me.

Yes he was a icon and was - no matter if you liked his music or not- an extremely talented musician and savvy business man (in some ways- and an idiot in others) but i just never was that much into his music.

I've never cared for most of his antics outside of the music area. I tend to believe that by the strictest definition that he was not your garden variety child-molester. I believe it was more arrested emotional development caused by his childhood and other factors along the way. I still think he did inappropriate things for an adult, though.

I do hope that it goes awy after the Memorial Ceremony tomorrow, though.

Dennis
wheland

Postby duffyb » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 pm

I didn't really react one way or another to his death. I was never a big fan but then again I'd have never thought 'one more pedophile off the streets,' either. Paying someone off does not automatically point to guilt. There are gold diggers in this world.

But alas, there are those who use this as a wedge issue to divide and perpetuate intolerance, hate and fear;

Peter King: Michael Jackson A 'Pervert' And 'Low-Life'
Watch: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/0 ... 26062.html
duffyb

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:49 pm

I am reminded of the frenzy over the death of Princess Di.
The endless coverage. Elton John's redoing the lyrics of, Candle in the Wind.
The regal funeral. Then the after death sales market. The guided tours, the gift shop. How long did those things last? A year or two before the people stopped showing up to peak at the tomb. Sick. And the taint that overhung that mess. Drugs, alcohol. A Royal assassination plot (!) A possible pregnancy.

I'll pull a couple of lines from Elton's, Ticking.

"Within an hour, the news had reached the media machine...."

"Crazy boy, you'll only wind up with strange notions in your head.
Hear it. Hear it. Ticking. Ticking."
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Dar » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 pm

i am also sick of hearing about it, he is getting more publicity then anyone else,shame
Dar

Postby joeyg7 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:30 pm

I"ll be at staple center tomarrow,YEAH RIGHT I"d rather be Down town Newark during the riots of the 60"s.
joeyg7

Postby George Lawrence » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 pm

If one is sick of the coverage then one should not add to the coverage. I find the whole matter fascinating and expected the fervor. Celebrities always get more coverage, especially in death, and especially this guy who had one of the most colorful lives ever. This is nothing new. It is easier for most to escape into this kind of news than the regular war, crooked politicians type news.

As far as the child molestation charges, I am withholding judgement and trying to look at it objectively. He maintained his innocence to the end. The charges were never proven, especially by the Santa Barbara prosecutor who had nothing. What an idiot that guy was. I lived in Santa Barbara once and the people of Santa Barbara are embarrassed about what the prosecutor did. Even the most inexperienced prosecutor knows you don't go to court unless you already know the evidence will carry the jury. Jackson and his attorneys probably figured that even with out the first accuser having no real evidence that settling was probably the best way at the time to prevent future false accusations. Settling does not mean admission of guilt. When the accused is innocent it means no trial and less bad publicity, plus the settlement is probably not much more than the lawyers' bill. The rich and very rich and entertainers get sued all the time by goId diggers and the settlement is used commonly as a device to say "I am not guilty. I am paying this false accuser to go away" is not uncommon. I have been sued on false charges (slip and falls at my store, etc.) and settled because it was expedient and less time and money. Jackson had so many millions that the few millions he paid that accuser was a small amount to pay to get rid of a false accusation. I get the feeling that the reason the second charge was not handled by settlement was because Jackson could see that the false accusers would be coming out of the woodwork forever if he did not defend himself in court and end it. He was acquitted which means not guilty. But the damage in the press was done. He was found guilty by the public without evidence based on his appearance, lifestyle and having settled the first case. He should have sued the family of the first accuser and won that case to clear his name. Was he wierd? yes. Did he have lots of kids at his house? Yes and he was very up front about it and said that there was never any sexual impropriety. Was there ever any direct evidence of child molestation? No. I feel that if he had been a child molester that he would have been trying to hide it. 99 and 64/100 of the children and their parents who were visitors to his house said that nothing happened. I'm believing them. I think he was tried in the press without any direct evidence. The main thing is that none of you nor I know the truth and the law says that he is innocent until proven guilty. A personal opinion of guilty in this case is not based on any facts.

The difference in the OJ trial was that the prosecutor had lots of evidence int the OJ case. The jury brought in the wrong verdict for OJ. They are guilty of not deciding the case on the facts. He was found guilty in the civil trial. Notice that there was no civil trial in Jackson's cases.
"How much for the women?" John Belushi in the Blues Brothers
George Lawrence

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:57 pm

You are correct, George. It was to be expected. Like Elvis, Marylin Monroe, David Carridine. The more bizarre, the more ink.
In today's world, there's just a lot more ways to have this stuff in your face. But it's relative when you consider that somewhere there's people who have no idea any of this is taking place. Why? They have their own problems to deal with, their own tragedy to struggle through.
I told myself that when I started posting on the new site I'd avoid the flash-point topics, the topics that had no bearing on music, the band, etc.
Most of what I've posted has been on the very subjects I'd hope to avoid.
That says something about me but I'm not sure just exactly it could be.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby TonyNYC » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Though never convinced completely, I would have bet that MJ was innocent of the charges and George gave a great defense. Mostly, I too would have felt there would have been a whole lot more allegations if there was any truth to the charges.

I'm not surprised of the mega-coverage, but it really isn't that hard to ignore if you try. Change the channel and skip the stories in the newspapers.
TonyNYC

Postby guitarbro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:26 pm

I like about 5 songs of his and that's it. But one thing is for sure, he was the best entertainer ever. Notice I said entertainer not songwriter, or artist. The blame goes to the press for overkill. As for being a chld molester, my opinion is he was set up. All creative people have a screw loose, that's just the way they are wired. Salvador Dali, John Lennon, Elvis, To many comedians to name, and plenty more music artists. The saddest part is we will find out he died of drugs, and that his own doctor overdosed him on Diprivan. As for him being treated like the Messiah, I thought it was Obama who was the Messiah.

All in all the industry has lost another artist, and that is sad.
guitarbro

Next

Return to Poco Discussion