My new (old) Cds

Discuss the band.

My new (old) Cds

Postby volpi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:42 pm

My daughter Jeanine bought me two cds for fathers day. Seven/Cantamos and Indian
Summer came in the mail two days after fathers day. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed
these albums since I haven't listened to my Lps in ages. I've listened at home to these
albums which has taken time away from my guitar playing which some people would say is good thing! I hope to get more Poco cds but some are out of print.
John
volpi

Re: My new (old) Cds

Postby hank » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm

:) I love those cds...
hank

Postby MsUp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:35 pm

volpi wrote:My daughter Jeanine bought me two cds for fathers day. Seven/Cantamos and Indian
Summer came in the mail two days after fathers day. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed
these albums since I haven't listened to my Lps in ages. I've listened at home to these
albums which has taken time away from my guitar playing which some people would say is good thing! I hope to get more Poco cds but some are out of print.
John

MsUp loves those 5 LPs made by that 4 man band (SEVEN, Cantamos, Head Over Heals, Rose Of Cimarron, and Indain Summer).
Last edited by MsUp on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsUp

Postby AlexInRI » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 pm

I hadn't listened to my vinyl 7 or Cantamos in years either. At the Hoedown I saw Danny's license plate (NY State CANTAMOS) and I realized how long it's been since I've heard that record. Someone had posted about the double album and I ordered it right up. Ripped to the IPOD and I've listened to both records at least 10 times. The 4 man band really opened things up for Paul and Tim. Those were records I played a lot when they came out. Still don't have Indian Summer on CD. Probably rectify that situation tonight.
AlexInRI

Postby MsUp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 pm

I hadn't listened to my vinyl 7 or Cantamos in years either. At the Hoedown I saw Danny's license plate (NY State CANTAMOS) and I realized how long it's been since I've heard that record. Someone had posted about the double album and I ordered it right up. Ripped to the IPOD and I've listened to both records at least 10 times. The 4 man band really opened things up for Paul and Tim. Those were records I played a lot when they came out. Still don't have Indian Summer on CD. Probably rectify that situation tonight.

Indian Summer is one awesome LP/CD, Paul contributing the title song Indian Summer (still a big favorite in today's set list), his totally rockin'; Livin' In The Band, Twenty Years & Win Or Lose, Rusty's Dance trilogy & Downfall, and, probably knowing he was about to leave the band, Timothy gave Poco some of his best ('cause that's just the way he is), Find Out In Time, Stay Night Until Noon & Me And You.
You won't go wrong, Alex, by getting yourself a copy of this Poco classic.
Last edited by MsUp on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:27 pm

[color=#000000][b]All that being said, I still love; Pickin' Up The Pieces, Poco, I so adore From The Inside, A Good Feelin' To Know 'should have gone' triple platinum, Crazy Eyes is the bomb, the first 5 without Richie / the last 5 with Tim & George can stand on their own, LEGEND is Rusty's and Paul's masterpiece that did go platinum, their follow-up Under The Gun is as good (much of the current set list will include many songs from Legend & UTG; Crazy Love, Heart Of The Night, Spellbound, Barbados, Legend, Under The Gun, Midnight Rain...), Blue And Gray is one of the best theme LPs ever, Ghost Town is a quiet winner, Cowboys and Englishmen had some good songs (even if many were not Rusty's or Paul's songs, they did a bang-up job), Inamorata had a number one single on it (Days Gone By 'should have' shot to the top of Billboard) and many other wonderful songs along with Richie & Tim sittin' in, in my humble opinion, there isn't a bad track on Running Horse (Deliverin', LIVE & The Last Roundup, from the 70's, Keeping The Legend Alive, Bareback at Big Sky and Wildwood Sessions, from the new millennium are all awesome live performances).

Ride tall, in the saddle, Poco.
Last edited by MsUp on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MsUp

Postby darrelp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:26 am

Can we agree? No more shouting in hot pink :oops:
darrelp

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:31 am

darrelp wrote:Can we agree? No more shouting in hot pink :oops:

Thank god! I thought it was just a mix up in my medications....... ;)
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:46 am

Okay, I've posted this before but once again, in my opinion Deliverin' brought Poco on to my radar and there are very few albums that song for song can stand along side it as bringing the fun that Poco generated live, to a record. And I mean by any musical group at any time.

Legend is the best studio album Poco recorded. It has it all. And HOTN is the best of the best.

Oranges is (IMO) their weakest effort and the album I listen to the least.

Under the Gun is a good top down album and Inamorata has some high spots that I really enjoy.

I think that given their changes over the years, the many years they've been active, Poco is still one of the best bands making music today.
The Boulder show last year is a good example. Paul was absolutely on fire. Once they got the sound system in order, they put on a live show that was amazing by any standard.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby AlexInRI » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:56 am

My first Poco album was From The Inside (that was the tour I first heard them). I really like the Orange album. My favorite non-live (Deliverin' is one of my favorite albums by any band-I love live albums), is Crazy Eyes. I'm so looking forward to hearing Richie do that in August. The entire album is a masterpiece and I think Richie did his best work when he said the heck with AM radio. I still remember hearing Good Feelin' to Know for the first time on the college radio and instantly knew it was Poco. That was one of those great songs when you were driving around with the boys doing God knows what that would come on the radio and make the night complete. Yeah, I was a teenager once myself.
AlexInRI

Next

Return to Poco Discussion