Levon Helm-Dirt farmer

Discuss the band.

Levon Helm-Dirt farmer

Postby john44256 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 am

Two new CDS coming my way, wanted to get some responses/reviews if you have heard or own.

Levon Helm-Dirt Farmer
&
John Fogerty-Revival
I lost ten points just for being in the right place
at exactly the wrong time.
I looked right at the facts there, but I may as well have
been completely blind.-
Gene Clark
john44256

Re: Levon Helm-Dirt farmer

Postby wheland » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:40 am

I've got both of them.

Simple review-

If you are a fan of the classic sound of either person you will like these two cds.

I like the Levon Helm one just a bit more than the Fogerty cd. I just got Levon's latest cd- electric dirt- and it continues in the same vein. Levon has a very distinctive voice- then again so does John Fogerty.

There is also at least one official "bootleg" cd out by Levon helm- the name escapes me right now but I think it was done at the New Orleans Jazz Festival or some similar festival. It sounds great as well.

Dennis
wheland

Postby litlfeat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:34 pm

I have always liked both of these guys. So, I may be a bit prejudiced in my review. I think both were some of the better music of that year ('08? Right?). Helm's grew on me even though I liked it from the start. Fogerty is a bit predictable in style and substance but as I said, I like anything the man does.
I am really looking forward to the new Fogerty cd!! And thanks for the heads up on Levon's "Electric Dirt"...should be great!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby TonyNYC » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:45 pm

I liked Fogerty's a lot and think it was his best solo album overall. Though none of the songs are as good as Almost saturday Night and Rockin' All Over The World.

Levon's was only okay. Maybe a bit rustic for my taste. But I just got his new one and i'm looking forward to checking it out.
TonyNYC

Return to Poco Discussion