Poco, Webb, and the Future

Discuss the band.

Poco, Webb, and the Future

Postby mbradley2000 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Thankfully there will always be the years of Poco with Paul, Tim, Rusty, George G., Richie, Messina. I wish the new incarnation of Poco all the best. And who knows? Honestly, with two new releases since 1990 (Legacy and Running Horse)...well, again I am thankful for huge collection of great recordings. Paul, who was the a very important cog in the Poco wheel, has gone "Sailing". I love Paul, but I believe Poco has dissipated. I hope they prove me wrong. New material would be a good start. I remember when the new Poco site was up, and Running Horse was new. It was exciting. It seemed like a new beginning. The beginning faded fast, and I'm tired of new live recordings, and I'm the biggest Poco fan in the world. We'll know in a few months if Poco is over. Anyone agree?
Poco...all the best.
Mike
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Re: Poco, Webb, and the Future

Postby MartinG » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Some will say Poco was over when richie left ...

[PS I don't agree. am looking forward to hearing what the new line-up soinds like. But I agree there should be new material ]
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse ? Bruce Springsteen
MartinG

Postby mbradley2000 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:04 pm

MartinG wrote:Some will say Poco was over when richie left ...

[PS I don't agree. am looking forward to hearing what the new line-up soinds like. But I agree there should be new material ]

Like I say Martin, I hope you're right, but I think Poco is officially an old guy band with one remaining original member, playing old songs because they've recorded only two new albums since 1984 (Inamorata). Sure, I know change has always bee a part of the Poco lineup. And honestly, they've remained great.
Sorry folks, Poco's over. If Rusty (one of the most amazing musicians in the freakin' world) would think with just a little marketing, he would reorganize, change the band name, record a few new songs with the new lineup, and go out and kick some ass. Put the new songs on the site for download. A buck a song. Eventually, maybe have enough new stuff for a CD. Remember the excitement waiting for Running Horse? I'm a man of average musical and marketing skills. I don't profess to be any kind of expert. I record a lot at home with Pro Tools. I know how the recording process works. No need for a label to back you.
I say again, I don't profess to be any kind of expert, but I think this is a chance for Rusty to create. Create music. Create excitement. Create a new, and maybe, better venue for his considerable talents. But then again, maybe Rusty would rather float along in his comfort zone. I see many great live Poco shows, but please... how many more live CD/DVD releases do we need. I've been listening to everything Poco for several days. Nothing can ever compare to Crazy Eyes. And then I heard all the "Fab Four" CD's I literally get chills. Head over Heals, ROC, Indian Summer, Legend, and THEN... I put on my Blue and Grey CD. THAT was Poco. I could go on and on. But, you know what? No Rusty Young and Paul Cotton, no Poco. My opinion.
I expect to get some beating up for this post.
Nobody want's to say, "It's not Poco anymore. But come on. Sometimes change can be just what the doctor ordered. If the band name was changed, I'd be a lot quicker to listen.
Understand this....Whatever happens, I hope it brings all the good things that Rusty and his people have deserved for 43 years. God bless all of them, and I wish them all the best.
Mike
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby Straycat » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:26 pm

mbradley2000 wrote:
Sorry folks, Poco's over.

No disrespect, but couldn't you wait till the new band played a few shows before making that comment?

Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby Jimohara » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:42 pm

Let me guess, Next will be, I am leaving the site forever. It is a pattern folks.

Look, I agree Paul leaving is hard for us. I came to Poco because of Paul But it was painful when every long time member has left. Change is always hard especially with a main cog moving on. For you to say it is over before you have heard a thing to me, is sounding like a closed minded jerk.
Jimohara

Postby david75090 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:48 pm

mbradley2000 wrote:
Sorry folks, Poco's over.

Who's call is that? Yours? It's Rusty's band, and he'll say when it's over. If anyone thinks otherwise, that's their opinion. No one is forcing anyone to support "Poco", that's optional...like hatefulness.
david75090

Postby TonyNYC » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:07 pm

With or without Paul, the band needed/needs to make some new music and eventually be creative with the set list once Mike Webb gets fully incorporated or Poco will continue to be basically the oldies act it has been for quite awhile.

Good luck tonight and I hope it is the start of something new and exciting for the band.
TonyNYC

Postby mbradley2000 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Jimohara wrote:Let me guess, Next will be, I am leaving the site forever. It is a pattern folks.

Look, I agree Paul leaving is hard for us. I came to Poco because of Paul But it was painful when every long time member has left. Change is always hard especially with a main cog moving on. For you to say it is over before you have heard a thing to me, is sounding like a closed minded jerk.

I expected some beating up, but I didn't know I was leaving the site. You're quite a piece of work! And you have a crystal ball too. Chill out. It's a band and a website.
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby Gus » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Peace brothers.

The man gave his honest perspective. I respect that. Agree or disagree, he was honest. God bless Poco in all their permutations and the special fans they have created.
Gus

Postby studiogirl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:39 pm

mbradley2000 wrote: ... I say again, I don't profess to be any kind of expert, but I think this is a chance for Rusty to create. Create music. Create excitement. Create a new, and maybe, better venue for his considerable talents.

Is there some reason to think Rusty isn't?

I think it's very creative to bring in new talent, which has generated excitement, and may make for a new and maybe even better way for the band to enjoy sharing their talents. I'm looking forward to new instruments, voices, energy, and (rumor has it) humor. Poco will always be a great band no matter what changes occur.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Next

Return to Poco Discussion