Poco, Webb, and the Future

Discuss the band.

Re: Poco, Webb, and the Future

Postby mbradley2000 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:29 pm

For the one with selective reading, I'll reprint.
"Whatever happens, I hope it brings all the good things that Rusty and his people have deserved for 43 years. God bless all of them, and I wish them all the best."
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby Lonesomedave » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 pm

Change becomes harder with age. For the band and their fans in equal measure.

Like Tony, I feel there needs to be new music regardless of the line up and it's probably going to come in time. How it will stand up to what came before isn't really a factor.
The new music needs to appeal to us on a certain level, granted. I think Rusty has an instinct for his brand of music that he's made work for a long time. Poco set the bar pretty high 40 years ago, I doubt they'll clear it in street shoes now but at least they're going to give it their best. We should do the same. What they don't need is negative speculation. They need positive support.

Not many bands who have been in the business as long as Poco have revamped to keep up with the times, to find a younger fan base.
Can anyone imagine BB King switching to rap?
Rusty must feel good about the future and is looking forward with new energy and inspiration from his new line up.
Best of luck to the band and I hope the folks heading to the show have a great time.
Watch out for those storm warnings.

Let them make the music first and then make your decision.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby mbradley2000 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:07 pm

Lonesomedave makes some great points. I know about songwriting. For some, the creative stream is endless. For others, it changes with age. None of knows what goes on in Rusty's head, or what his ideas or ambitions are. And yes, these are all Rusty's call. Not for me or you to try and figure out or second guess. I don't care if Rusty calls them Poco, Pollo, or the Flying Enchilada Sisters. They will be something I will want to hear, see, and enjoy. On the flip side of the coin, no one can tell me to call it Poco...no matter how much I love the sound. Everyone seems to think that new material would help the band. With Rusty, Jack (another great songwriter), and Webb, I'm thinking new material is a very possible direction for the band. And if it's still Poco, that's even better.
To david75090. I think you misunderstood the point of "calling it Poco". Rusty won't be telling me what to think of, or call the band. And where did you come up with the word "hatefulness"? You'll never find any hate in my posts. I've been in this community since the very beginning. I bet you have too. Hope there's no bad feelings on this post.
Whatever happens, it's all good.
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby svin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:39 am

If there is one thing to be expected when a rock band undergoes a change, it's a loss of perspective, overreaction and hand - wringing among the truly devoted.
So, we see here...
Someone gives their dissenting opinion, and is immediately set upon by those who seemingly feel Rusty Young can do no wrong, and POCO is POCO no matter who is in the band besides Rusty. They're entitled to their feelings, but they seem to be bent on squashing any discouraging words. Heaven help anyone who does not agree with them
(where have we seen that before on this forum...hmmm?)
There are some who feel POCO is no more. They are as entitled to their opinion as the folks described above. How about letting them have their opinion and their feelings without the setting upon?
This is about a rock band. Keeping the whole deal in perspective might be useful for those here who seem to be just a bit too invested. At the least, it might keep the knives in the sheaths.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby david75090 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:17 am

mbradley2000 wrote: Rusty won't be telling me what to think of, or call the band. And where did you come up with the word "hatefulness"? You'll never find any hate in my posts. I've been in this community since the very beginning. I bet you have too. Hope there's no bad feelings on this post.
Whatever happens, it's all good.

You don't have to call this incarnation of the band anything. Rusty is calling it "Poco". It's his band. No one is forcing anyone to like or support this band, no matter how long anyone has been a fan of Poco or has been a member of this forum. IMO, when a person comes on this forum and makes a post such as the one you made, it could be deemed "hateful", or not. Opinions vary. You have yours and I have mine. You could "Call It Love", if you wanted to.
david75090

Postby Dave Densmore » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:53 am

Jimohara wrote:Let me guess, Next will be, I am leaving the site forever. It is a pattern folks.

Look, I agree Paul leaving is hard for us. I came to Poco because of Paul But it was painful when every long time member has left. Change is always hard especially with a main cog moving on. For you to say it is over before you have heard a thing to me, is sounding like a closed minded jerk.

C'mon JimO', tell us how you really feel.
Dave Densmore

Postby marc » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:17 am

I've been watching this band since 1969. I was in the audience for the Boston part of "Deliverin" and for the New Haven part of "POCO live' and was in Nashville for "Keeping The Legend Alive." I was also in the audience last night at the Mohegan Sun and I've got to tell you that the energy coming from the stage was as exciting as any show I've seen in many years.

If you think that Poco is over for you MBRADLEY, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but your going to miss some incredible music.

Watching Rusty play guitar and lap steel at the same time last night brought back happy memories of 1969 when he would sit at the pedal steel with the dobro on his lap and the banjo or guitar strapped around his neck.

You can't replace Paul Cotton and Rusty didn't try to do that. In my view Michael Webb isn't replacing anybody but rather adding new elements to Poco's music. Last night we got to hear Jack sing more (always a plus), George push the band with incredible drumming, Michael play a band full of instruments all by himself and Rusty play with an intensity that made us all Rusty Young fans in the first place.

If you've decided that your not interested in the music any more that's your decision but if I were you I wouldn't make any final decisions until you've seen the band.

As for me, I'm going to Fairfield tonight to see Poco and I can't wait!

Marc-
marc

Postby mcdtj » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:36 am

There are five threads on the top of the first page related to the first concert of the new Poco era. Those threads have over 1,000 hits among them and it is still early on the morning after as I post this. (8:30 am Eastern)

Lots of interest out there in Poconutland...
mcdtj

Postby Jimohara » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 am

mbradley2000 wrote:
Jimohara wrote:Let me guess, Next will be, I am leaving the site forever. It is a pattern folks.

Look, I agree Paul leaving is hard for us. I came to Poco because of Paul But it was painful when every long time member has left. Change is always hard especially with a main cog moving on. For you to say it is over before you have heard a thing to me, is sounding like a closed minded jerk.

I expected some beating up, but I didn't know I was leaving the site. You're quite a piece of work! And you have a crystal ball too. Chill out. It's a band and a website.

Seems to me you are the one that need to chill out! I personally don't condemn anything before I see it or hear it? Then you spend 10 more posts defending your first post? You do have one thing correct though. Yes, I am a piece of work, and proud of it as well.
Jimohara

Postby wini » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:37 am

From what I've read on all the threads about the first show with the new line-up, this band is far from over. Poco was over when Richie left, Poco was over when Tim left, Poco was over after Inamorata, Poco is still OUT THERE playing!

With a new found enthusiasm, too, as it seems. The sound has changed, the set list has changed. Cool by me. I'm ready for a new double live CD after a couple of shows when they've incorporated more songs with new arrangements or even new songs into the set list. Fine by me. I wanna hear the new Poco.

I'm also optimistic about a new studio record. Don't hurry them. First and foremost they had to concentrate on the already scheduled live shows. Once they feel secure about those they will find the time to squeeze in some recording sessions. They have enough songwriters on board for that. And give them some time to find out how everybody in the band 'ticks' musically, so they can have that in mind when writing new stuff.
wini

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion