Poco, Webb, and the Future

Discuss the band.

Re: Poco, Webb, and the Future

Postby davidbarcy11 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:37 pm

marc wrote:I've been watching this band since 1969. I was in the audience for the Boston part of "Deliverin" and for the New Haven part of "POCO live' and was in Nashville for "Keeping The Legend Alive." I was also in the audience last night at the Mohegan Sun and I've got to tell you that the energy coming from the stage was as exciting as any show I've seen in many years.

If you think that Poco is over for you MBRADLEY, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but your going to miss some incredible music.

Watching Rusty play guitar and lap steel at the same time last night brought back happy memories of 1969 when he would sit at the pedal steel with the dobro on his lap and the banjo or guitar strapped around his neck.

You can't replace Paul Cotton and Rusty didn't try to do that. In my view Michael Webb isn't replacing anybody but rather adding new elements to Poco's music. Last night we got to hear Jack sing more (always a plus), George push the band with incredible
drumming, Michael play a band full of instruments all by himself and Rusty play with an intensity that made us all Rusty Young fans in the first place.

If you've decided that your not interested in the music any more that's your decision but if I were you I wouldn't make any final decisions until you've seen the band.

As for me, I'm going to Fairfield tonight to see Poco and I can't wait!

Marc-

RIGHT ON MARC LOVED everything you said thank you !!
davidbarcy11

Postby davidbarcy11 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:42 pm

_TM_ wrote:Saw the"new" thing June 2nd .....
In Spanish Poco means little.
In English, Poco means ..... change and continue being GREAT ...............

VERY COOL!!!!
davidbarcy11

Postby davidbarcy11 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:46 pm

wini wrote:From what I've read on all the threads about the first show with the new line-up, this band is far from over. Poco was over when Richie left, Poco was over when Tim left, Poco was over after Inamorata, Poco is still OUT THERE playing!

With a new found enthusiasm, too, as it seems. The sound has changed, the set list has changed. Cool by me. I'm ready for a new double live CD after a couple of shows when they've incorporated more songs with new arrangements or even new songs into the set list. Fine by me. I wanna hear the new Poco.

I'm also optimistic about a new studio record. Don't hurry them. First and foremost they had to concentrate on the already scheduled live shows. Once they feel secure about those they will find the time to squeeze in some recording sessions. They have enough songwriters on board for that. And give them some time to find out how everybody in the band 'ticks' musically, so they can have that in mind when writing new stuff.

AMEN!! DAVIDBARCY11
davidbarcy11

Postby dmaier » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:46 pm

I wanted to put my two cents in on this. My wife and I have seen Poco about 10 times over the past 5 years at different concerts they have played in and around Saint Louis. My wife and best friend were big Paul fans. I think we all are, but Paul left on his own. None of us are really privvy to the dynamics of what happened no matter how close to the band many Poconuts profess to be. All we know is he was disatisified and left.

I have seen the lineup with Michael Webb twice in the past year. The first time I saw the band with Michael, I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. My wife didn't see the first show with Michael and had trepidations.

She went to Friday's show with me and was so blown away what she saw. Her words were as follows..."I thought the shows were getting stale" but she was totally impressed with what she saw and heard. She thought the band was re-energized with Michael, nothing against Paul but she was totally impressed. And this is from a woman who loved hearing Paul sing Magnolia, Indian Summer, and Heart of the Night.

As I understand it, the two Alton shows were sold out...had a friend who tried to get tickets Friday but couldn't. That meant there were 500 tickets each show that the band sold out. Not a ton of Poconuts that I read were there but a lot of concertgoers really seemed to like what they heard and saw.

My formula for success for Poco is the following:

Continue to build on the jamming at the shows.

Utilize Jack's songwriting abilities and create some new stuff. Jack is a great songwriter and between he and Rusty can create some great music.

Continue to create a new and unique sound. Between Rusty and Michael, these guys can play about every instrument. Don't get stuck that Michael has to play keyboard or accordian only. The dude knows how to jam on a guitar. Use his youth and energy to your advantage.

Make Hard Country your new signature new song. I don't know about Saturday at Alton but it got a standing ovation from the crowd, many who haven't heard it before. Create the CD version but also make a radio friendly version that is playable on Country radio. Get it to the folks who run Farm Aid. It is a natural. Promote that song!!!

The Poco with Paul relied on Rusty and Paul's vocals. Let's now rely on Rusty, Paul, and Michael's vocals.

Play the old songs but keep inserting some new ones. I know that Poco has a catalog and everyone wants to hear the popular songs but take a chance here and there on some new songs. Actually I kind of like Michael's Drinking about you. Great song.

I can only tell you that I think Michael Webb is a breath of fresh air in the band. Just my two cents....or maybe quarter's worth.
dmaier

Postby Bogeyfire » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:49 am

Yeah, I feel it. This is good!

Some people kiss a frog, marry a princess, and walk into the sunset. Some people live a charmed life. But sometimes someone special will grind through an entire career, carry it on their shoulders, then allow us to share the rewards. Rusty ain't lucky, but we are.
;)
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby mary » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:05 am

i think he's pretty lucky!
email me for international merch orders, Mary Young
pocomerch@gmail.com
mary

Postby davidbarcy11 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:53 am

mary wrote:i think he's pretty lucky!

RUSTY IS VERY lucky !!!! HE has a beauitiful wife and many fans that adore him and im sure he has a beauitiful family that is proud of him. HE is VERY BLESSED with the ability to write songs and his voice give me goosebumps. Know other singer songwriter does that the way Rusty does and that is saying a lot. thanks for takimg the time to read this.
davidbarcy11

Postby Bogeyfire » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay. How do I dig myself out of this one? I meant the Poco legacy isn't a stroke of luck. It is the product of talent and the results of a survivor.

Yes, Mary. He is very lucky in that you allowed him to earn your love.
(whew!)
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby davidbarcy11 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Bogeyfire wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Okay. How do I dig myself out of this one? I meant the Poco legacy isn't a stroke of luck. It is the product of talent and the results of a survivor.

Yes, Mary. He is very lucky in that you allowed him to earn your love.
(whew!)

its all good davidbarcy11
davidbarcy11

Postby svin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:36 am

well, i thought for sure this topic would cause a ruckus in the henhouse, but to my surprise, it really hasn't.
could it be this topic has finally run it's course?
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion