Poco, Webb, and the Future

Discuss the band.

Re: Poco, Webb, and the Future

Postby pupilm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:01 am

marc wrote:I've been watching this band since 1969. I was in the audience for the Boston part of "Deliverin" and for the New Haven part of "POCO live' and was in Nashville for "Keeping The Legend Alive." I was also in the audience last night at the Mohegan Sun and I've got to tell you that the energy coming from the stage was as exciting as any show I've seen in many years.

If you think that Poco is over for you MBRADLEY, you are certainly entitled to your opinion but your going to miss some incredible music.

Watching Rusty play guitar and lap steel at the same time last night brought back happy memories of 1969 when he would sit at the pedal steel with the dobro on his lap and the banjo or guitar strapped around his neck.

You can't replace Paul Cotton and Rusty didn't try to do that. In my view Michael Webb isn't replacing anybody but rather adding new elements to Poco's music. Last night we got to hear Jack sing more (always a plus), George push the band with incredible drumming, Michael play a band full of instruments all by himself and Rusty play with an intensity that made us all Rusty Young fans in the first place.

If you've decided that your not interested in the music any more that's your decision but if I were you I wouldn't make any final decisions until you've seen the band.

As for me, I'm going to Fairfield tonight to see Poco and I can't wait!

Marc-

Couldn't have said it better.

Last night's show was definitely worth seeing. It was in-your-face Rusty Young like we haven't seen for quite some time. Go and see for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

Mark
pupilm

Postby nyrichiek » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:13 am

First of all Poco is not over till Rusty says it's over got that.
#2 Part of Rusty's vision is to bring in Michael Webb not to replace Paul But to add Mike Webb.
#3 Randy Left Poco survived. Jim Left Poco survived. Richie left Poco survived.Tim left Poco survived. George G left 1st time Poco survived. Charlie,Steve and Kim left. Poco survived. Paul Left 1st time Poco survived.Randy,Richie,Jim,George G returned. Richie Left again . Poco survived. Jack joined. Randy,Jim and George G left again. Poco survived. #4 Out of the ashes Rusty and Paul rise like the Phoenix with Jack poco survives George g is back. George G has to leave again. Poco survives enter George L. Poco survives.
#5 Paul Cotton leaves. Poco survives. Enter Michael Webb. See Poco never dies. The Ride goes on forever. That White horse with the Red flaming eyes is running down New trails.
While it is running it looks back to where it has been and nods in approval and turns and runs on. To Randy Meisner,Jim Messina,Tim Schmit,Paul Cotton,George Grantham,Charlie Harrison,Steve Chapman,Kim Bullard and Al Garth we thank you to Michael Webb We welcome you POCO RIDES ON.
nyrichiek

Postby mbradley2000 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am

I hope you're all correct. I hope the horse rides forever. I also hope that this forum remains a place where you can have an opinion without others forgetting that just because someone disagrees, it doesn't mean that they're right or wrong. Poco is a band, and it is a name that means a lot of things. A lot of different things to a lot of different people. No two people will say "Poco" and have the same reaction. I have no wish for things to be over, and I'm certainly not "leaving the site forever". Someone said, "Poco is over when Rusty says so". I've been a nut since Randy Meisner turned into a dog, but I've been thinking for myself even longer. I didn't ask you to agree with me. Don't give a rats ass if you do or don't. But I do care about being positive, showing respect, and acting your age.
It sounds like Poco with Webb is kicking ass. That's what I wanted to hear. I wonder how many will call them Poco. I can guarantee we'll never know.
A lot of people quit calling the Allman Brothers band, just that, after Duane died. I think they're wrong, but I still respect their ability to make their own decisions.
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby TonySTL » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:46 pm

MBradley2000....I don't mind your opinion...I actually thought it was a nice change from the flock. And, IMO, it was clear that you were just stating an opinion...probably not the best timing though. But, I totally hate your screen name as MBradley is my least favorite baseball player of this generation. And if He was the one to join Poco, he'd single handedly end it! And since I know baseball and music, I am more than qualified to state that as a factual opinion!

Now, I'm leaving forever!!

Be back tomorrow!
TonySTL

Postby TonyNYC » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:57 pm

From another thread and maybe another way to look at this:

I know it's not the same thing as what Poco is going through, but there sure is something special about The Rascals getting together the other night with the four original guys as opposed to seeing Felix Cavaliere's Rascals.

Yes, it's a one time only deal which adds to its appeal and that band members never changed in the Rascals are two factors that differentiate it from Poco's situation.

I even think that an argument can be made that Felix is a more integral part of The Rascals sound than Rusty is for Poco. Felix had a part in writing 95% of their songs that weren't covers, he was the lead singer on maybe 85% of their songs and his organ defined their sound. But no matter who Felix surrounds himself with now and even if he owned the name, it's not The Rascals.

Yes, Eddie and Gene left, but I loved Peaceful World (it may be The Rascals record I play the most from start to finish) and I thought Island Of Real was okay. They both had the original drummer Dino on them so I considered them Rascals albums. But I'm not sure if Felix had some other hired hand to drum, would I feel that they were Rascals albums.

And I doubt that most people consider them real Rascals albums.

All I'm saying is that when Paul left and no matter how good or bad the band turns out to be and I am hoping to see them soon, there are pretty good reasons to discuss the poconess or degree of poconess of this band.
TonyNYC

Postby mbradley2000 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Thanks to the two Tony's for bringing the thread back down to earth. I used to post all the time, but I've noticed that the last 6 months or so, things have gotten very negative and confrontational. One of the reasons I always loved this site, is the fact that you could say what's on your mind (if you said it with respect) and not get treated like you were in Junior High, or in the grumpy old man's club.
Anyway, there's a few Mike Bradley's playing pro sports. I just share the name.
Hey, thanks to all for telling me what you think. Maybe bad timing, but...maybe not.
Mike
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:41 pm

mbradley2000 wrote:Thanks to the two Tony's for bringing the thread back down to earth. I used to post all the time, but I've noticed that the last 6 months or so, things have gotten very negative and confrontational. One of the reasons I always loved this site, is the fact that you could say what's on your mind (if you said it with respect) and not get treated like you were in Junior High, or in the grumpy old man's club.

You're not alone in your thinking. I've been on both sides of the grumpy fence and personally, try not to take it personally.
One post kinda ticked me off recently and I should have let it drift but I had to snap back more than I should have done and I was just in a sour mood at that time.

I think a lot of us have more on our respective plates than we expected at this time in our lives and a bit of that spills over onto the site. At least that's true in my case.
It doesn't mean that I'll be walked over but as an adult, I should be less reactive.
Just keep in mind that on this site there are no, "bad" members. Only good ones and a few Eagles fans........
I shouldn't have added that last. I'd give my left.........ear to be, "Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.." or any corner in Arizona.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby mbradley2000 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Lonesomedave Quote:
Just keep in mind that on this site there are no, "bad" members. Only good ones and a few Eagles fans........
I shouldn't have added that last. I'd give my left.........ear to be, "Standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.." or any corner in Arizona.

Thanks, Oh Lonesome One. I'm an Eagles fan, and a ex resident of Arizona. You can forget the corner on Winslow, Az. Booorrrring. Most Eagle fans are OK. Some are Boorish and self absorbed. But most are everyday schmucks like you and me.
Anyway, good to hear from you. I hope the site gets a little happier. I know I said it, but when "Running Horse" was new, and the site was new, there was a lot of happy, excited posts. Messina does a great job of keeping his Facebook up to date everyday. Even if he just says "Thanks", or "I'm dusting my studio today". It's smart, it's personal, and it's the kind of stuff you'd say to your best buddy because you talk to him everyday. I know that maybe that's not Rusty's thing, and I'm sure Mary is nice, but....Mary is not Rusty. A little communication can accomplish a lot with the people that you claim to want to reach. We don't expect it from McCartney, but we're not talking about McCartney. I email Jack every few months, just to say hi. I always get a short response. He's a busy guy, and he makes an effort. If he didn't, I wouldn't think any less of him. But he does, and it says a LOT about the man. George L is always trying to keep the lines open. When your a small outfit the size of Poco, these things are important. Well, anyway, thanks for the adult conversation. Hope to see you at one of the new shows. I'm excited to hear Michael with "Poco" :]]]
Peace
Mike
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby mbradley2000 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 pm

Lonesomedave Quote:

Thanks, Oh Lonesome One. I'm an Eagles fan, and a ex resident of Arizona. You can forget the corner on Winslow, Az. Booorrrring. Most Eagle fans are OK. Some are Boorish and self absorbed. But most are everyday schmucks like you and me.
Anyway, good to hear from you. I hope the site gets a little happier. I know I said it, but when "Running Horse" was new, and the site was new, there was a lot of happy, excited posts. Messina does a great job of keeping his Facebook up to date everyday. Even if he just says "Thanks", or "I'm dusting my studio today". It's smart, it's personal, and it's the kind of stuff you'd say to your best buddy because you talk to him everyday. I know that maybe that's not Rusty's thing, and I'm sure Mary is nice, but....Mary is not Rusty. A little communication can accomplish a lot with the people that you claim to want to reach. We don't expect it from McCartney, but we're not talking about McCartney. I email Jack every few months, just to say hi. I always get a short response. He's a busy guy, and he makes an effort. If he didn't, I wouldn't think any less of him. But he does, and it says a LOT about the man. George L is always trying to keep the lines open. When your a small outfit the size of Poco, these things are important. Well, anyway, thanks for the adult conversation. Hope to see you at one of the new shows. I'm excited to hear Michael with "Poco" :]]]
Peace
Mike
I was reasonable once.
mbradley2000

Postby Naomipocofan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:02 am

gggg
Last edited by Naomipocofan on Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box. ~Robert Fulghum
Naomipocofan

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion