Drake Levin RIP

Discuss the band.

Drake Levin RIP

Postby Straycat » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:40 pm

I saw Paul Revere & The Raiders several times in the early to mid-60's in the Seattle area. They were always a crowd favorite here in the NW.
Drake was a great guitarist....

Here's a nice tribute from Mark Lindsay:

In the very early 60s, Paul Revere & the Raiders were looking for a guitar player to replace one that had moved on. We were based in Boise at the time and heard through the grapevine about a kid still in high school who might have some talent. Paul sent me over to check him out. The kid blew me away!

His name was Drake Levin, and when he moved from Chicago to Idaho, he brought his love of Chicago blues with him. Drake was not only a gifted lead guitarist, but was also one of the best rhythm players ever. This was a great combination and led to some iconic guitar solos. Think Kicks, Hungry, Good Thing, and the most magical interplay of Drake and Drake on Just Like Me.

Drake was the soul of the Raiders and when we played instrumentals, his impeccable rhythm and great lines made even a mediocre sax player like me sound halfway decent. His blues licks were authentic and his rock and roll was always fresh, driving and right in the pocket.

I feel that Drake never got the recognition he was due. Go back and listen to the Raiders' guitar solos through 1967 (our heyday I think) and you will hear that unique combination of talent and intellect that always knew what and what not to play.

Drake joined the big band in the sky on Independence Day morning. I will miss him, but I'm imagining that the guitar player in the crowd at the Spanish Castle who watched Drake play with his guitar behind his head has taken him under his wing and is showing him the ropes. I can almost hear Jimi and Drake jamming on their own hazy purple cloud now...

~ Mark
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Re: Drake Levin RIP

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:32 pm

I remember watching Where The Action Is every day after high school and Paul Revere & The Raiders performing every day. I remember the time Drake had to leave the band to perform his military duty.Aside from the goofy Revolutionary War uniforms and the slapstick antics of their act on tv they were a damn good band.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby jerzeypocofan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:23 pm

I feel that Drake never got the recognition he was due. Go back and listen to the Raiders' guitar solos through 1967 (our heyday I think) and you will hear that unique combination of talent and intellect that always knew what and what not to play.

Listen to the whole Revolution cd and you'll know what an excellent guitarist he was...
loved Paul Revere and the Raiders!!!
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby MsUp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:40 pm

DrMichaelGalvin wrote:I remember watching Where The Action Is every day after high school and Paul Revere & The Raiders performing every day. I remember the time Drake had to leave the band to perform his military duty.Aside from the goofy Revolutionary War uniforms and the slapstick antics of their act on tv they were a damn good band.

Dr. Galvin

Everything you said !
I, too, use to rush home to catch Where The Action Is. I dragged my Mom & sister Deb to The Ed Sullivan Show, just to see Paul Revere & The Raiders live (they were totally hooked, on them, after that show). It's a very small theatre, and I remember my Mom singing 'Him Or Me' all the way home.
RIP Drake Levin, you really rocked !
MsUp

Postby Lonesomedave » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:07 pm

What? Are we all 60? I never missed the show. First saw Buffalo Springfield on WTAI.
And PR&R still get a lot of play here.

You're right, he never got the credit he deserved.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Lonesomedave » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:09 pm

MsUp wrote: 'Him Or Me' all the way home.

Great song!!!!!! Had everything a good rock song should have.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Dar » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 pm

:(
Dar

Postby MsUp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Lonesomedave wrote:
MsUp wrote: 'Him Or Me' all the way home.

Great song!!!!!! Had everything a good rock song should have.

A great hook, and an awesome bridge, that's been goin' 'round & 'round in my head since I mentioned it (da da da, da da, da). Love it !

Now have you got yourself a brand new baby
Don't tell me maybe
Is it so
I got to know
What's it gonna be
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me

I can still recall when you told me I was all
Everything you looked for in a man
But I know that it's not true
I've seen the way he looks at you
And I think you're gonna hang me up again

Now have you got yourself a brand new baby
Don't tell me maybe
Is it so
I got to know
What's it gonna be
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me

So if you'd like to be so kind
Would you please make up your mind
I won't share your lovin' with another man
And if you see things my way
Won't you let me know today
But if you decide it's him
I'll change my mind

So have you got yourself a brand new baby
Don't tell me maybe
Is it so
I got to know
What's it gonna be
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me

Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
What's it gonna be

Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
What's it gonna be

Him or me
Him or me
Him or me
What's it gonna be
MsUp

Postby severalpieces » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:06 pm

Another R.I.P. ~~~~~~~~ Sheesh, we're getting old!
Hey Ms Up ... nice lyric and song that is stuck in MY HEAD now !! :D

Live well people!

Bev!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby panama1955nh » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:32 am

I too remember Drake Levin. What a great guitarist. Drake didn't play on "Him Or Me", but he did play on the version of "Louie, Louie" that the Raiders recorded before the Kingsmen. If you listen to the blues numbers on the "Just Like Me" album, thats Drake shining away. And dont forget the lead "Kicks"... he will be missed he was only 62

panama
"I've got a good reason for loving you..."
panama1955nh

Next

Return to Poco Discussion