Best Beatle Moment/song/whatever

Discuss the band.

Re: Best Beatle Moment/song/whatever

Postby thatguybackthere » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:24 pm

i really like the beatles!!
thatguybackthere

Postby MsUp » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:32 pm

thatguybackthere wrote:i really like the beatles!!

You are not alone on that point !
MsUp

Postby severalpieces » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:34 pm

The first time I heard them on the radio. It was a Sunday late afternoon/early evening, almost supper time. I was in my room doing homework and the DJ said that he was going to play a new song by a band from England !!! Then "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came on and I was tranfixed and never the same since! The next day at school there were many of us who had had the 'experience' the day before and we all thought it was so cool that we heard music from a band from England!!!
It changed everything, forever !
Bev
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby guitarbro » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Two best Beatle moments.

1.Being at Hollywood Bowl 1964

2. Ed Sullivan Show Feb 9th 1964
Last edited by guitarbro on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
guitarbro

Postby svin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:46 am

Thought of more of my favorite musical moments...

the guitar solo in " A Hard Day's Night "
the guitar solo in " And I Love Her "
the intro to " Eight Days A Week "
the lead guitar figure in " And Your Bird Can Sing " ( not to mention Macca's bass playing, but I'll focus on him later )
the guitar intro to " Day Tripper "
the sitar in " Norwegian Wood "
the vocal harmonies in " Nowhere Man "
the reverbed vocal part in the chorus of " Paperback Writer "
the fuzz bass in " Think For Yourself "
the sped up piano in " In My Life "
the toking, inhaling part they do in the chorus of " Girl " ( and the tit - tit - tit part they do in the same song )
the counterpoint piano part they do in " I Want To Tell You "
and " Tomorrow Never Knows "...the whole song...

I could think of many more, but I'll move on to the later period stuff, and believe me, I have a bunch coming to mind even as I write this.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby Kim » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:51 am

Album 'Abbey Road'...
Kim

Postby darrelp » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:03 am

severalpieces wrote:Then "I Want to Hold Your Hand" came on and I was tranfixed and never the same since!

That was the prevalent experience for most "youngsters" that were there then. For some of us it was something that happened even before that. For me, it want back a couple of months more.

When I was in the eighth grade, I worked for one period each day (4th I think) in the Junior High library. I have always loved books and I loved that job. One day as I was straigtening out the magazines in the magazine rack I notice the cover of Life magazine. It was about an english group that was driving english teenagers wild. I loved books and stories, but I had always loved music too. I read the article about this group called the Beatles. I was intrigued and read the article. Anyone who has ever watched the Anthology knows that all of the Beatles records before "I Want To Hold Your Hand" flopped. That does not mean, however, that they were never played. Being, at that point, attenuated to the name, when I heard their name on the radio, I recognized it and listened very carefully. I think the first song I heard was "She Loves You". Could there be a better first song? There were other songs too. I said to myself, I like this.

When "I Want To Hold Your Hand" came out and everyone started coming around, I was like, where have you been.

There is a large misconception, that alot of people watched the Ed Sullivan Show that night because it was the "Ed Sullivan Show". For many, maybe that was true, but it wasn't true for many of us here. We knew who was going to be on and that's why we were there.

I mean, my family's TV was broken, for JC's sake. I had to arrange for our family to watch the show at the next door neighbors house (I really didn't care about the rest of the family at the time, I just had to see that show). No other moment will ever achieve that level of importance.

BTW, for those of us who saw it, that was the first time we ever heard Claudia's voice. It was lost in the cocophony, but it was there.
darrelp

Postby Lonesomedave » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:44 am

Though I liked the Beatles from the start it was only hearing, You Can't Do That that made me realize that they were much different from any other group in the world. After that song, nothing else they did would surprise me. Amaze and delight, but never as big a surprise as that one song.
I love the last three notes on the fade out. Ringos' drumming only heightens John's just below the surface anger. The lead break is almost pure blues.

In my mind, it was the set up for, Revolver though even they didn't know it at the time.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion