Best Beatle Moment/song/whatever

Discuss the band.

Re: Best Beatle Moment/song/whatever

Postby MsUp » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 pm

jerzeypocofan wrote:first Beatles moment was the Ed Sullivan show...my favorite Beatles moment was
going to the Millburn Movie Theater watching Hard Days Night and Help double feature
on the BIG screen for 50 cents....I've seen Help over 30 times in my lifetime :D

I'm gonna miss the sacrifice, I'm gonna miss the sacrifice !
I can still see that guy running down the beach with bandages & crutches, histerical !

Love both Hard Day's Night & HELP !
MsUp

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:41 pm

cimarron wrote:I saw the Beatles twice at Shea Stadium.

Without a doubt the most exciting part of the, "Anthology" video is the lead in to the Shea Stadium concert.

I can just about tell you where I was when I first heard any Beatle song.

I had just flown in from leave to my ship and I stopped at the PX and bought the White Album. Our ship was to leave for Alaska for three months the next morning and I took duty for a married sailor so he could be home with his kids before we left. I had this cheapo portable stereo and was painting the hatchway to our engineroom when I first listened to that album. We also had a ship's radio and we tuned it to one of the rogue FM stations and that same night, Arthur Brown was at the Fillmore West.
There was nothing like it in the world and there will never again be anything that as, MsUp wrote, will impact the way we do business.
Watching, Help! erases all the time that has passed and brings back the days when the whole world wondered what four lads from Liverpool were going to do next.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:45 pm

jerzeypocofan wrote:I've seen Help over 30 times in my lifetime :D

I think I'm right in there with you, Charlie. One of my old SN's was, "00CA58" which is on the front of the armored car on the Salisbury Plain scene.
I even had it on my army PT shirt but wouldn't tell anyone what it stood for. =)
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Bonnie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

My Beatle moments were of the very second-hand nature. I never got to see them live. Reading about them in the 16 Magazine, and Tiger Beat. Cutting out their pics and filling my walls with them.
Ringo was my favorite. I just thought he was so funny and cute. Every teenage girl had a favorite Beatle.
Of course, the Ed Sullivan show;
The first album I bought with my own money was a Beatle album, and I was so excited to take it to my room to play it, and I tripped on the stairs, and slammed it onto the floor during my graceful fall. It broke in half. I cried, and my Mom felt sorry for me and bought me another one. I was 12 or 13 at the time.
Then seeing A Hard Day's Night, Help.
Drying the dishes with my cousin, and singing We Can Work It Out, complete with terrible harmony.
Never missing the "1-2-3-4" intro to When I Saw Her Standing There. I think I learned how to play air guitar, and air drums to the Beatles.
Always a Beatle-related question or two in the Slam Books (does anyone know what they are?)
Playing the Abbey Road (I think that was the one--not sure) album backwards to try to hear Paul is dead, and being really freaked out about it. This memory is pretty fuzzy, as I was older and getting into mind altering stuff.
Wow, when I started writing this, I could only think of a couple, but now they are coming like a flood!
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:11 pm

I haven't heard of, "Slam Books" in 40 years!
Your spot on Bonnie. Once you start going back, more and more comes out of hiding.

When the Beatles first started to hit big, one shoe store put boots in their window with the sign, "Look! Cuban Heels!" After the Ed Sullivan show, they changed the sign to read, "Beatle Boots!"

They hit really big in the east coast and we moved to Arizona in late '64 where the Beach Boys and surfing ruled and I looked sooooooo out of place with dark slacks, Beatle boots and dress shirts when, Levi 501's, tee shirts, Pendleton's and Van's were the standard dress for guys out west.
I remember that for my 15th birthday I got the 45 of, I Feel Fine with the B side, She's a Woman. A 79 cent record and I was happy as a clam! I played that record until it was white. I seem to recall that most guys admired John and George. For me it was George and his passing hit me hard.

I guess the closest I ever got to a show of theirs was my daughter and I saw, " 64 The Tribute" a good Beatles band, at Carnegie Hall on the 40th anniversary of the Beatles show there and they were introduced by the then 85 year old, Sid Bernstein. They played to a packed house that knew every word of every song. The younger folks as well as the old ones.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby litlfeat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Don't know if this is my best moment, but I share this memory with nearly all original Beatle fans. Sittin' crosslegged in front of a small black & white Philco on Sunday night, watchin' Ed S. and waiting to see what all the fuss was about. Wow! Who does their hair!!
Another was me anticipating the release of Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields...never had I, nor have I, anticipated the release of a song(s) with such eagerness. And it didn't disappoint. It has often been referred to as the finest 45 RPM release EVER buy fans and critics alike. I agree!!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby jerzeypocofan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:47 pm

Wow! Who does their hair!!

Mo from the 3 Stooges 8-)
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby Straycat » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:08 pm

The Beatles played 2 shows in Seattle on 8/25/66. I went to the early show. Incredibly, attendance was only about 8,000 (the evening show sold out). My ticket cost $4.

Opening acts were the Remains, Bobby Hebb, the Cyrkle, and the Ronettes.

The screaming was deafening, and sadly, that was pretty much all I heard, But I was close to the stage, and it was amazing to see them in person.

Setlist:

Rock and Roll Music
She's A Woman
If I Needed Someone
Day Tripper
Baby's In Black
I Feel Fine
Yesterday
I Wanna Be Your Man
Nowhere Man
Paperback Writer
Long Tall Sally

Eleven songs, maybe 35 minutes. Four days later they played their last show. Who knew? I thought I'd be seeing them every couple of years...

Reviews of the shows published in the newspapers were mixed. Rolf Stromberg of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer wrote: “The range of their voices is middling; they can’t sustain or hold a note very long, nor do they have grace or power.”

How wrong he was....

I've often wondered about the "mania" surrounding the Beatles and other acts I saw in the mid-60's, with the constant screaming by the fans. One of the reasons the Beatles stopped touring was because they couldn't hear themselves onstage. How quickly that changed within a few years (thank goodness!)

Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby severalpieces » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 pm

Far f'in out Straycat! Thanks for sharing that great pic of history!
Bev!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby svin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:55 am

I remember listening to Sgt. Pepper's in my friend Duffy's garage, thinking our little garage band had been left in the dust, and we would not be playing any new Beatles tunes from that point on.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion