60's Music--How it changed your life

Discuss the band.

Re: 60's Music--How it changed your life

Postby litlfeat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:09 pm

I would have to say that the years from 1964-1974 were the most fertile years for popular music EVER. Whether American or British, the musical talents, influences and variety of styles in that period were just astounding. And the best of that music still sounds great today. Timeless, image provoking, after all these years. Compiling any kind of "list" is impossible, but just the varieties and hybrids of influences is mind boggling. Surf, Brit Invasion, Country Rock, Jazz Fusion, Psychedelic, ROCK, Orchestral Rock, Blues Rock, Bubblegum, Soul, R&B, and on and on it went.
Phew! Did I scratch the surface yet??
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby wini » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:37 am

TonySTL wrote:No doubt that many incredible contributions and accomplishments of mankind came out of the 1960's. And no doubt that the problems that mankind faces today, were NOT initiated by the '60's.

Oh yes, the 60s were not the beginning of the end. It was back then people realizied there were more colors to the world than just black and white. The way the music started to explore new territory was just one example. Many more new territories were found. Minds opened up. Foreigners/strangers were not considered 'dangerous by default' anymore, but rather 'interesting' ...

But there's two sides to every story. This notion of 'anything goes' also started the notion that really came up in the 70s 'I want it all, I want it now' which evolved into 'I want MORE MORE MORE ...' and eventually to 'I ain't ever satisfied ...'

It's just a small step from one to the other. Every coin has a flip side.
wini

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:08 am

wini wrote:But there's two sides to every story. This notion of 'anything goes' also started the notion that really came up in the 70s 'I want it all, I want it now' which evolved into 'I want MORE MORE MORE ...' and eventually to 'I ain't ever satisfied ...'

It's just a small step from one to the other. Every coin has a flip side.

Even China and Russia have caught the fever where as 40 years ago that would have been unthinkable.
Levi's, Marlboros, BMW's and Coke. Ya' gotta laugh.

Another thing about this thread. Lot's of different input, no arguments, no fighting.
How strange is that?
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby LJH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Lonesomedave wrote: Another thing about this thread. Lot's of different input, no arguments, no fighting. How strange is that?

Right on, far out, peace, brother.

Holy crap, I think I just had a flashback!
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Postby Here In GR » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:39 am

I'm sure that this music did change me inside and out. I started a thing where I work I call Tie-Dye-Fri-Di! Although I'm usualy the only one who participates. My first concert was in Ann Arbor and it was Sweetwater, Laura Nyro, and Richie Havens! And all for 4 dollars and fifty cents. Yesrs later I saw Richie havens and for some reason I had the actual program book from Woodstock The MOVIE in my car so I went out and got it and he signed it. Does anyone else have the album Electric Music for The Mind and The Body? It's by Country Joe and the FISH. It was their first. Perhaps it was acid-country-rock or something sure to give you all Fish-Flash-Backs!
Here In GR

Postby svin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:44 am

I still remember the night I watched the Beatles on the little black and white set we had.
I was never the same after that night...I was eight years old.
Five years later, I was a fat, snotty, long haired kid. I was in my first garage band. We idolized the Beatles, played their songs to death, and not very well.
Outside of that, I knew very little of what was going on culturally speaking...I learned about all of that after the fact. It meant nothing to me while it was happening.
My era was the seventies. That's when I was in high school, when my vices kicked in big time, and when being in a band and all that went with it was pretty damned important.

My take on how the sixties are recalled is that those times are usually thought of fondly, a usual function of nostalgia. That process overlooks the misery that the changes that occurred then brought.
The ideas the " hippies " had were typically immature, irrational, and pure fantasy. There was no utopia, and as most in the ranks became enlightened or just plain grew up, those ideas flew the coop in a short hurry. They began living lives more in line with the society they were a part of after all.
Those left behind, and there are those still who wave the flag, refer to these people as "sellouts " or the " establishment ", never stopping to realize just how much they have joined the lemming parade themselves in the present time.
Living in the distant past is always a futile proposition. I'm not sure what else comes of it beyond frustration with what is happening today and bitterness.
I prefer the now, whether it's living my life, the music I listen to, or savoring the excitement of the times. The past holds nothing for me beyond remembering it when I have nothing more interesting to do.

Getting specific, I'd like to say to those who say there is nothing worthy happening in today's music that there is, beyond any doubt.
It's been forty years since the end of the sixties, folks. Things change.
There were music genres back then. Not as many as now, but what was called rock and roll then has evolved into something not easily defined. That doesn't prevent people from trying.
There is no more radio. Video killed the radio star years ago, and now, the internet is killing the video star. The 'net is where the kids go to get their music, and as usual, they're the ones who know where it's at. If you know where to look, there are a staggering number of crazy good bands and much great music today, mostly kids who don't always play by the so - called rules.
For me, there's the same thrill when I discover a new band who makes music I enjoy as when I was that kid sitting in front of that little television.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby Lonesomedave » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:50 pm

To make things simple, I'm going to comment on the last two post together.
First, the first two Country Joe albums were great and still hold up well, IMO.

The, "Selling of the '60's". It was all gone and marketed before we realized what had taken place.
They manufactured the Monkees and by gosh, they sold! And son of a gun if they didn't make decent music in the process! Frank Zappa laughed all the way to the bank but the money allowed him to do what he loved. Elevate his music into it's own amazing art form that has yet to be equaled.
We lost our youth on November 22nd, 1963. And again when Martin and Bobby died. Kent State? Hell, this was America! This can't happen here!
Like Steve said, it's things to think about when there's nothing else to do.
It's over. All of it. Janis, Jimi, Woodstock, the S.L.A., and, "Burn, baby! Burn!"

There are a lot more good bands out there than ever make mention on this site. You just gotta look.
But it's not a strain to hear the voices of Brian, John and Paul, or Arthur Lee. The guitar licks of Jimi and Brian Jones.

I think what made Richies live album so good is that it sounded fresh and new. Now that's talent.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby TonyNYC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:07 pm

Yes, good reading from beginning to end from everybody, but when thinking about the music, it would be really interesting to play some of the music for people who didn't either grow up with it or had parents who played it, just to see what they think.

I'd bet the majority would recognize it as old and dated music. Even when I hear a lot of it, I wonder if it could have made it today because it sounds so much from and of its time. Especially that poppy psychedelic stuff like Green Tambourine, Incense and Peppermint, In A Gadda Da Vida. Not that I don't like it on some level, but to me, it sounds almost like a parody.

I also think that when any artist during any period of time uses their art as their primary means to make money, the art gets effected by it to some degree. You don't have to be a complete sell out, to be influenced by it. And I'm sorry, but I don't believe that the musicians and artists of the 60s are any nobler than today's artists and musicians. I know far too many poets who write for years and never make a cent.
TonyNYC

Postby guitarbro » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:10 am

Quote by Svin "Getting specific, I'd like to say to those who say there is nothing worthy happening in today's music that there is, beyond any doubt."

That would be me who stated that about todays music. I know I didn't explain it as clear as I should have. Your right there is a lot of very good music out, you just won't hear them on the radio. Buddy, and Julie Miller, John Hiatt, Todd Snyder, Jill Phillips, Buddy Whittington, Delbert McClinton, Holly Whilliams (Granddauhter of Hank) And many, many more. I like to search the underground, or not radio friendly type artists.
guitarbro

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 am

TonyNYC wrote:Yes, good reading from beginning to end from everybody, but when thinking about the music, it would be really interesting to play some of the music for people who didn't either grow up with it or had parents who played it, just to see what they think.

I'd bet the majority would recognize it as old and dated music. Even when I hear a lot of it, I wonder if it could have made it today because it sounds so much from and of its time. Especially that poppy psychedelic stuff like Green Tambourine, Incense and Peppermint, In A Gadda Da Vida. Not that I don't like it on some level, but to me, it sounds almost like a parody.

I've had a chance to try this on some of the younger people who served in my military unit, and other young people I know.
Most of the acid rock misses them. Even Quicksilver. The Stones they know but don't really care for except the early stuff. The groups who seem to hold up well are the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Led Zepplin, and the Who.

I also think that when any artist during any period of time uses their art as their primary means to make money, the art gets effected by it to some degree. You don't have to be a complete sell out, to be influenced by it. And I'm sorry, but I don't believe that the musicians and artists of the 60s are any nobler than today's artists and musicians. I know far too many poets who write for years and never make a cent.

Not nobler but perhaps they marketed their, "Revolutionary" status more effectively.
And of course you need to make the money if you can to advance your art and yes, there will be some dilution of that art for a time. Then, like Zappa, you can tell them to kiss your ass and do as you please.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion