60's Music--How it changed your life

Discuss the band.

Re: 60's Music--How it changed your life

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:04 am

guitarbro wrote: I like to search the underground, or not radio friendly type artists.

Fleet Foxes (Beach Boys sound), Saturdays=Youth, Rapple Dapple, Nada Surf, Death Cab for Cutie, Delerium, Ocular Spectacular. There's tons of good stuff out there.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby RedDirtRog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:36 pm

svin wrote:
Getting specific, I'd like to say to those who say there is nothing worthy happening in today's music that there is, beyond any doubt.
If you know where to look, there are a staggering number of crazy good bands and much great music today, mostly kids who don't always play by the so - called rules.
For me, there's the same thrill when I discover a new band who makes music I enjoy as when I was that kid sitting in front of that little television.

Could,nt agree more Svin, i firmly believe there is as much good new music out there now as there was back in the sixties and seventies, it may not be as innovative now, but what music is these days. Country-rock for instance has been around a long time and stands the test of time better than any other form of music imo, if you were to take a lot of those early country rock albums and put them alongside some of todays you'd hardly think anytime had passed, and that applies vice versa of course.

And i too still get that same buzz from discovering new artists now as i did way back when.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Postby RedDirtRog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:40 pm

guitarbro wrote:
That would be me who stated that about todays music. I know I didn't explain it as clear as I should have. Your right there is a lot of very good music out, you just won't hear them on the radio. Buddy, and Julie Miller, John Hiatt, Todd Snyder, Jill Phillips, Buddy Whittington, Delbert McClinton, Holly Whilliams (Granddauhter of Hank) And many, many more. I like to search the underground, or not radio friendly type artists.

I'm glad you explained that more clearly, i was beginning to worry for you there lol.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Postby Here In GR » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:36 am

Oh, you'll hear them all and many more on our comunity radio station. It's 100% non comercial and programed by volunteers.And they take e-requests. And they play POCO. Check out the two new shows on Sunday Night. "Legacy" and "The British Infusion". Go to www.wyce.org
Here In GR

Postby wini » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:56 pm

I just read an interview with the couple that was on the cover of the record and on the movie poster. They had been a couple going to the festival, they got married two years later, and are still married. Now how cool is that?
wini

Postby Lonesomedave » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:52 pm

wini wrote:I just read an interview with the couple that was on the cover of the record and on the movie poster. They had been a couple going to the festival, they got married two years later, and are still married. Now how cool is that?

I saw that as well. A great story of one of the most iconic images of the '60's music.
And to not be musicians, but just another couple among thousands.
I was happy to know he kept his gal. And like me, didn't do so well with the hair.....

Now we just need to find the guy in the Port-O-John. I have the strange feeling he may still be in one. And he's in the same condition.......

The '60's provided quite a few unforgettable photo's; LBJ in Air Force One taking the oath,
the badly burned Vietnamese girl, the Kent State photo, the still of Patty Hearst in the bank, the moon/flag photo, the helicopter leaving Saigon. I recently saw the Dutch photographer who made that shot died.
A world in flux with it's own soundtrack. There's an irony in there somewhere....
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 am

For the most part I kept up with the posts on this great thread but may have overlooked (I'm not going back and read them all...) the mention of how folk music kind of started the 60's change of direction.

My first 45 was, Washington Square by the Village Stompers and remember how big the Kingston Trio, the Chad Mitchell Trio, The New Christie Minstrels and Peter Paul and Mary were? And look at the folk/rock groups who had their start in the folk sound of the early sixties. So many soon to be music giants did the MacDougal Street scene before heading west. Of course, almost overnight the Beatles turned that apple cart over but those groups and the ideas they put to music, the poetry they brought with them were the first big influence the music of the 60's had in my life.
Having an older brother and sister who immersed me in rock and roll in the late 50's, the folk sound of the early 60's was the start of the music of my generation. And though I jumped on the Beatle band wagon, the next major influence for me was the Beach Boys.
But to skip over the, "Folk" era is to skip over the seeds of the Byrds, the Mamas and the Papas, and many more groups who would reach their peak just a short time later.
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby litlfeat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:42 am

Great stuff here by a bunch of aging baby boomers. (I aged yesterday, 54 years old!!)
I was listening to Steppenwolf's album "Born to be Wild" just yesterday, and it sounded better than I expected. It had been a long time since I heard it. It is certainly dated but a couple of songs still sounded great. "Berry Rides Again" and "Desparation" in particular.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Lonesomedave wrote:... the mention of how folk music kind of started the 60's change of direction.
But to skip over the, "Folk" era is to skip over the seeds of the Byrds, the Mamas and the Papas, and many more groups who would reach their peak just a short time later.

...especially for us "here", a certain band in L.A. with a guy from Yellow Springs, OH who started out by going to NYC to be a folksinger.... ;)
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby aceinoc » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 am

So I just read this whole thread and find it fascinating. I was born in 1950...and had a dad who loved music and worked for a record distributor. In the early 60's I was in to surf music, dylan, leadbelly, and the like, then my Dad brought 'Meet the Beatles' home for me. I was hooked...watched them on the Ed Sullivan Show...formed a garage band that played high school mixers...the rest is history.

I saw the Motown Review in the 60's, Alan Freed's Shower of Stars, the Beach Boys, Association (they were big back then), Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones all because I loved the music and my Dad could get me really great seats for FREE! (How cool was that?) There were more...many more...Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Sam & Dave, Otis Redding, Booker T & the M.G.s, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Eric Burton and the Animals...Buffalo Springfield (one of my top five bands of all time)...Mothers of Invention (Frank Zappa)...Grateful Dead...and the music mattered. The words spoke to me...

But the business was grass roots...no big corporations...even the record labels were small companies by standards of the day. The labels used distributors to get the vinyl to the record stores (remember those?) Promoters were all local...and the music mattered...culturally...'Something's happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear...'

I tried to make a living as a picker and singer in the 70's and then life got in the way...but 60's music is a lot of the soundtrack of my life...the lyrics, the spirit, and the vibe back then was amazing...we thought we could change the world.

WHY NOT PEACE? Hmmmmmmmmm?

So let's remember what we can...and live life the way we had dreamed back in the day. Music still has such positive influence in my life...my friends on this board are all because I was invited to Hoedown 4 by Tim McD's friend and my guitar playing buddy Arte. We get together and play and sing...it may not be great...it sure feels great...and the comraderie (sp?) that we share is Priceless...those of us that have gone to a Poconuts Hoedown know what I am describing here...

So Major (guitarbro), this is a wonderful thread and thanks for being a friend...

Peace my brother...
'I don't know where we are going, but I'm on my way.'
aceinoc

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion