John Batdorf

Discuss the band.

John Batdorf

Postby hzryb » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:22 pm

Anyone a fan?

He is a tremendously talented guitar player/singer/writer who has a self-financed new album out (I think his website is batdorfmusic.com) It's pretty good.

He was half of Batdorf & Rodney in the 70s, and they had a few turntable hits in the heyday of FM rock radio. ("Home Again" is a super fantastic song, and Pete Fornatele plays it every year on his Thanksgiving show)
hzryb

Re: John Batdorf

Postby jimmym » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:36 pm

Those are two names I have not heard in a long time. I was a big fan back in the day...I saw them a couple of times. I think their first album was called "Off the Shelf", but I could be wrong. Thanks for the info, I'll check it out!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby guitarbro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Yeah he has always reminded me of a very young Jimmym, when Jimmy had the duo with Edith Strand, they were called EdithM

hzryb wrote:Anyone a fan?

He is a tremendously talented guitar player/singer/writer who has a self-financed new album out (I think his website is batdorfmusic.com) It's pretty good.

He was half of Batdorf & Rodney in the 70s, and they had a few turntable hits in the heyday of FM rock radio. ("Home Again" is a super fantastic song, and Pete Fornatele plays it every year on his Thanksgiving show)
guitarbro

Postby hiro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:56 pm

I'm a fan of Batdorf & Rodney and Silver too!
One of a member of Silver, Greg Collier is now a member of The Bowstring Soldiers. And he told me they will release new album soon.
http://www.myspace.com/gregcollier
Silver was a tragical band like Four Wheel Drive/The Sky Kings.
hiro

Postby Jemrys7 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi All,
I was a fan of Batdorf and Rodney too. They were so good! I really enjoyed listening to them. It sure is interesting to remember the 1970's bands.
Jemrys7

Postby hzryb » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:29 pm

There's a tune on the new album, "Don't Tell Me Goodbye" that would make a stupendous Poco song... the first time I heard it, I "heard" Rusty's voice and and PSG, and with the patented Poco harmonies, it would easily become a Poco classic... check out the song!
hzryb

Postby robc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm a HUGE Batdorf fan. The new Cd is GREAT! There is also a recent reunion CD with Rodney that was an XM concert, the only time XM has allowed one if it's concerts to be released. Also check out a CD he did with James Lee Stanley called All Wood and Stones (acoustic reworkings of early Stones tunes). In the last 2-3 years I've seen Batdorf twice with Stanley, 3 times solo, once with Rodney and he'll return to Ohio in September. Gotta check this music out, friends! Any fan of early acoustic rock ala CSN will like it! :D
robc

Postby robc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:05 pm

I forgot to mention Batdorf is also related to Richie...a 2nd cousin, I think. He told me once that Richie's mom used to babysit them.
robc

Postby severalpieces » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Oh man! Batdorf and Rodney!!! Makes me long for all the great lps I left behind when I left California! What was I thinking ??!! Another story for another time. I have no archival joy ! :(
B.
btw>>> you speak of him as "was" >>>>> does this mean ???? huh?
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby hzryb » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:36 am

I had no idea that Batdorf was related to Furay! See what I learn here!

I remember listening to that XM broadcast, and I have that album, as well as All Wood and Stones (which you can describe as "what if the Rolling Stones collided with Crosby Stills & Nash"

I did get to see Batdorf (playing with Rex Fowler of Aztec Two Step) last year in NYC (first time he played NYC in 30-odd years).
hzryb

Next

Return to Poco Discussion