Hello from a new forum member!

Discuss the band.

Hello from a new forum member!

Postby pocomann » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Hello everyone! Greetings from Salt Lake City, Utah. As a new member I wanted to introduce myself -- I'm Kelly, a Poco fan from the band's beginning in 1968. I recently purchased a used copy of "Keeping the Legend Alive" through Amazon.com and heard Rusty mentioned "The Web Site". "Web site"? I wondered, how did I miss that? Well, I suppose I was convinced that these band web sites were places where "groupies" hang out, so I'm looking forward to all of you proving to me that I was wrong!

I'm not normally a live concert fan, for the simple reason that as a fan I want to hear the music and see the band, and from my experience that is not the case for most audiences. So I truly enjoy watching and listening to concerts in my living room, like Keeping the legend alive. No frisbees, no lighters, no one standing up in front of me having a party -- and an added bonus, I can control the volume! That's right! I'm a "grumpy old man"! :D

In any case, I have attended three live Poco concerts, two in Germany in the mid 70s and one here in SLC -- I think that one was the Legend tour (my ear drums are still bleeding from that one ;) ). I don't think Poco has been back to Utah since them, at least not recently. BTW, One concert in Germany was in Mannheim and the other was a concert with "America" in Frankfurt.

I love all Poco music, but of course I have favorites: Cantamos (my very favorite) Pickin' up the Pieces and Deliverin'. But keeping the Legend Alive is working on me really hard -- may have to add it to this list. I really like Legacy, but some say it's not a true Poco album, but rather a reunion of the individual original members, all kind of doing their own thing. I'm not sure I agree with that -- what do you all think?

Favorite Tune? Again, I love them all, but it probably has to be "Kind Women", and yes I know Richy wrote and performed this first with those Buffalo Guys -- but hey, Rusty was on that recording, right?

Music background? Yes. I'm loved music all my life -- greatly influenced by my parents record collection: Louis Armstrong, Les Paul, Classical music, Burl Ives, Mario Lanza and my Dad's German Folk Music collection (Bier Tent Polka/March brass band). When my friends were listening the Beatles, I was a big fan of the Kingston Trio -- a huge fan of the late John Stewart (no, not the comedian -- he's still alive) . Maybe that's why I immediately loved Poco! Played the French Horn and Bass guitar. Studied music here in Utah, but not possessing the talents of my heroes, I made my career electronics.

I've been using the handle "Pocomann" for years. Most think I meant Pokeman! :lol: Over the years I named two of my Siamese cats, Poco in honor of my favorite band, but not my Malamutes -- they were a little bit too BIG to have that name! ;)

Hope to have the opportunity to post often here!

Thanks for reading,

Kelly
pocomann

Re: Hello from a new forum member!

Postby randall » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Welcome.. Great first post :D
randall

Postby Jimohara » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Welcome Kelly,

I found it interesting that you started with Poco from the beginning and Cantamos is your favorite album. You don't often hear someone say that, they most times say their favorite is one of the first three. I did not discover Poco until Crazy Eyes, so I like most of the stuff from GFTK up to Legend as my favorite Poco time. I like all of it, but prefer the mid early to mid 70's lineup.

I have always said if I found Poco early on, I would most likely not have been a fan. The early stuff, just never really grabbed me. I know I am in the minority when it comes to that though.

Hope you get a chance to post often.

JimO'
Jimohara

Postby hzryb » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:56 pm

Welcome to the NutHouse!

My personal favorite album is DeLIVErin, because it pretty much accurately captures their live performance from those days. I think it is one of the best live albums ever recorded, Poco or non-Poco related. It's that good~
hzryb

Postby pocomann » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Thanks Randall, and JimO and hzryb!

Cantamos! Ah yes, it is quite different from early Poco, but the first time I heard it I was simply "Floored"! Awesome! I've never heard any other album, from anyone that made such a first impression on me (not even Sgt. Pepper's) and I've never tired of it! But remember, I did say my favorite song is Kind Women from "Deliverin". I'd have to say, after KW, I'd pick just about any song from Cantamos, it's simply stunningly beautify -- and yet it doesn't seem to enjoy the popularity of others. I think it was one of the last to be finally released on CD. I had long before become "tired of waiting" and transcribed my LP to CD -- don't worry Mary and Rusty, I bought the CD when it was finally release! :D Though, I kind of like the Pops and clicks in my version! ;)
I have to admit to becoming a little emotional when listening to "What Every Happened to Your Smile", which reminds me of the love of my live (well, at that time anyway).

Deliverin' is really close to Cantamos for me, hzryb.

Kelly
Last edited by pocomann on Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pocomann

Postby RedDirtRog » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:20 pm

HI kelly, always great to welcome newcomers to the worldwide bunch of Poconuts, i'm from the North of England.
Rose Of Cimarron is, was, and always will be my favourite album and Poco song, perfection from start to finish imo.

Oh and welcome to the grumpy old mens club, and women's as well if truth be known ;) :lol:
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Postby RedDirtRog » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Jimohara wrote:Welcome Kelly,

I have always said if I found Poco early on, I would most likely not have been a fan. The early stuff, just never really grabbed me. I know I am in the minority when it comes to that though.

Hope you get a chance to post often.

JimO'

You may not be in that much of a minority as you think JimO, the first two have never been high on my list of favourites, loved everything from From the Inside up until Cowboy's and Englishmen though.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Postby TartanSkirt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Welcome to the nuthouse, we have some salted, some roasted and some, well, you'll see. :lol:
Pretending to be a normal person day-to-day is exhausting.
TartanSkirt

Postby pocomann » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 pm

RedDirtRog wrote:Oh and welcome to the grumpy old mens club, and women's as well if truth be known ;) :lol:

Thanks RedDirtRog,

Jack Lemon and Walter Mathau are my heroes! Well, next to Poco, that is! :D My wife tells me that my hero must be Ebeneezer Scrooge! ;)

Having essentially spend most of my formative years in West Germany, I've visited the South of England many times, both on Holiday and on Business occasions, but never had the pleasure of visiting the North. The climate here in Utah is nothing like Germany or the parts of England that I visited. It's very dry and we have mostly blue skies here in the Rockies.And we have lots and lots of Sagebrush -- go figure. I'm allergic to the stuff -- but I love the Song!. I gave my wife "Rose of Cimmeron for her birthday, when we first met, that was in Heidelberg. So that one has special meaning to me too!

Kelly
pocomann

Postby pocomann » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Thank you TartanSkirt!

Sometimes "I feel like a nut", so I should fit right in!

Kelly
pocomann

Next

Return to Poco Discussion