Jack's Bass.....A Question?

Discuss the band.

Jack's Bass.....A Question?

Postby kroney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Has anyone had the opportunity or interest in asking Jack why he went back to playing a standard 4 string after using a 5 string for what seemed like a long while.....I know it's been a couple of years since he went back to the 4....but have always been curious...I forgot to ask at my last meet and greet....
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Re: Jack's Bass.....A Question?

Postby LJH » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:09 pm

Good question! I'm looking forward to the answer too.
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Postby pocomann » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 pm

kroney,

It is indeed a good question, hopefully someone can ask, Jack. I could venture a guess, that the lower B (standard tuning) sting just isn't needed for the music that Poco plays and that playing on a smaller neck is less tiring. Back when I still played, I played almost exclusively with the Jazz Bass when everyone else seemed to be playing the Precision. My hands are simply too small for the big neck of the P-bass. I understand Fender has changed that -- standard neck more like the J-bass. My Rickenbacker 4003 had a nice neck but I found it too narrow for standard finger plucking. I've never played a five string. Tim always played with the old large neck 4 string P-bass, if I remember correctly as did many of my favorites i.e. Bob Mosely, and Larry Taylor.

Kelly
pocomann

Postby hansonpups » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:24 am

Just a little information on Jack's bass. It is a Lakland Duck Dunn signature model.
It has a P bass style body and electronics with a Jazz bass style neck which is thinner than the standard P style neck. As for his preference for 4 vs 5 these days, I guess you would have to check with him. Styles and tastes change, as we all know.
Bo
hansonpups

Postby kroney » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:38 pm

hansonpups wrote:Just a little information on Jack's bass. It is a Lakland Duck Dunn signature model.
It has a P bass style body and electronics with a Jazz bass style neck which is thinner than the standard P style neck. As for his preference for 4 vs 5 these days, I guess you would have to check with him. Styles and tastes change, as we all know.
Bo

Thanks Bo....I meant to ask him at the last show I was at but it just slipped my mind....next time fo sure.....
kroney

Postby jack » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I played 4-string bass for almost 35 years before I got my first 5-string. It took me about a year to get really comfortable on the 5-string. The old brain didn't want to change.. But once I got it, I loved it. Especially with the Lakland 5. It's a beautiful instrument and I enjoy having the extra low notes.

Then when I picked up the Lakland "Duck Dunn" 4-string - it felt like going home. It's a great fit for me. I have kind of small hands for a bass player and the neck is scaled just right - very similar to the 1965 Fender Jazz Bass that I played for about 30 years (I traded a guy even-up for a 1965 Dodge). Also, the tone is remarkably reminiscent of all the funky old Fender basses I cut my teeth on. And best of all - for me, it's just more fun to play.

BTW, Bo - how was NAMM? All of you guitar players out there, check out hansonguitars.com. Great new guitar line from our friend Bo!
jack

Postby kroney » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks for the answer Jack....5 string or 4.....you are the man...Looking forward to your next solo project....
kroney

Postby randall » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:02 am

You just gotta love the members of Poco. Thanks jack
randall

Postby LJH » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36 am

randall wrote:You just gotta love the members of Poco. Thanks jack

No kidding - how many other band sites would get a forum question answered by the actual musician? Thanks Jack - four strings or five, you rock!
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Postby pocomann » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Right On, Jack!

Thanks very much for taking the time to personally answer kroney's question about your bass! That is so cool that you did that! That Lakland must be one sweet instrument!

Kelly
pocomann

Next

Return to Poco Discussion