Walter Cronkite

Discuss the band.

Walter Cronkite

Postby jimmym » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I just read that Walter Cronkite passed away. This is a very sad day. It seems he was always around. He will be missed!

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Re: Walter Cronkite

Postby kroney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:24 pm

I remember when Walter came out and said that there was no way we would win the VietNam War...Pres.Johnson said something like...well I guess I've lost middle america...RIP Cronk....you had a great run.....
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby Bogeyfire » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:37 pm

He was 92 and lead a long active life. Its ironic that just today, the new Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter sent back its first photos. In it is debris left behind from the Lunar Landers of Apollo 11 & 15. Back when the Gemini and Apollo missions were taking off, you wouldn't dare watch any other channel than CBS with Walter Cronkite!

Today's lunar photos:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sciencefair/2 ... -moon.html
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby Straycat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Several years ago, I was walking to lunch in downtown Seattle and stopped for a streetlight. Suddenly I heard a familiar voice and glanced to my right- it was Walter Cronkite, standing right next to me. I thought about getting an autograph, but didn't have anything for him to sign. Then I thought- just shake his hand and tell him how much you've enjoyed him. I looked at him and had a Ralph Kramden moment- "hamana-hamana-hamana"

The light turned green. He was gone. Missed my chance. Still regret it....

RIP Uncle Walt...

Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby CurlyQfromLI » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:39 pm

very sad news to hear.
he was such a professional..he will be missed. :(

Follow your dreams, it's really all that you can do
Give it your best, and remember that life is what you choose
Follow your dreams, and do what you love to do
CurlyQfromLI

Postby Mystic » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:13 pm

I still get choked up when I see the video of him announcing JFK's death.

RIP, Uncle Walt. We will miss you.
Mystic

Postby Dar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:03 pm

:(
Dar

Postby robc » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:33 pm

One story I heard was that he had named his boat "Assignment". You might recall when someone was filling in for him they would say, "Walter Cronkite is on assignment." You would picture NASA or Viet Nam, but in reality he was fishing . You can't help but smile at a story like that. :lol:
robc

Postby svin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:08 am

Watched a tribute to Cronkite the other night...Interesting that he was named the most trusted man in the country during his time on the nightly news.
There is no way that would happen now, which is a comment both on Cronkite and the way times have changed.
Courage Wolf sez...
svin

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 am

svin wrote:Watched a tribute to Cronkite the other night...Interesting that he was named the most trusted man in the country during his time on the nightly news.
There is no way that would happen now, which is a comment both on Cronkite and the way times have changed.

Ahh yes! The unspoken truth. I never "got it" when I was a kid. My parents would watch Huntley Brinkly, then Walter Cronkite back to back every night religiously. I thought it was etched in stone every night when Walter decried, "and that's the way it is"!

My parents never uttered a contrary word, though they were conservative. Yet, I would on occasion hear their descent months later about things that were "not the way they were". It was matter of fact, and not angry. But they knew they were getting hosed by the media, even though they were constantly tuned into the media. They carried that on since the days of WWII, waiting to hear the latest official news. Walter was "official", but apparently not always as trusted as his reputation states by some such as my parents.

Where they got another opinion, I have no idea. I can only attribute it to the fact they had a hard and genuine view of the world.

My first askance view of Walter came when I heard him discredit "live action", or "live on the scene" news. He didn't like that reporters could take control of a story and broadcast live on location. He wanted the anchor, (himself), in control... always.

It was about this time he left his anchor seat. So yes, times have changed. Given the current times, I'm glad that more than one view can be expressed. Under the old guard, that would not ever be allowed.

Walter was king, and I doubt he wanted to hear any viewpoint beyond his own take, imho.
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Next

Return to Poco Discussion