Walter Cronkite

Discuss the band.

Re: Walter Cronkite

Postby darrelp » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:52 am

[/quote]I'm glad that more than one view can be expressed. Under the old guard, that would not ever be allowed.[/quote]

I think in the current day and age, you are still limited to one viewpoint per station. You can listen to whichever one you want to hear what you want to hear. I'm sure that's very comforting.

I miss you, Walter.
darrelp

Postby MsUp » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:12 am

Mystic wrote:I still get choked up when I see the video of him announcing JFK's death.

RIP, Uncle Walt. We will miss you.

I guess that vision is burned into our 'collective memories' of the tumultuous 60s.
A true icon of the 20th century, he can leave here his head held high 'you did good, Walter, and that's the way it was'.... RIP
MsUp

Postby voycefm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:16 pm

I watched most of the tributes to walter the other day. brought back so many memories. kennedy assassinations (both), man on the moon, lots of stuff. it was fun watching those tapes and seeing the emotion and love the man had for his country and for his craft. but i didn't tear up until they played the tape of his final goodbye when he retired. that choked me up.

thanks, Mr. Cronkite. I sure wish there were more like him these days.
"God bless us, every one"
Tiny Tim
voycefm

Postby hzryb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:55 pm

My brush with Walter...

a few years ago, my wife I and I were heading to Las Vegas (me, for work, her for R&R). We were sitting the the Delta Crown Room at JFK, when my wife nudged me and said "Look, there's Walter Cronkite sitting over there. Go over and say Hello!"

He was with his executive assistant, who was speaking rather (no pun intended!) loudly. Walter was a little hard of hearing by this time. I hadn't seen him on the air anywhere for a long time, and he looked very old to me, but I was listening to his assistant tell him about his schedule (seemed like he had a speaking engagement at UNLV).

I walked over to him and introduced myself as a fellow CBS employee, and shook his hand and told him how much he meant to me when I was growing up; the Kennedy assassination, the Vietnam reporting, etc.

He was very gracious, and it was a real pleasure to meet him in person.

RIP Walter. He was one of a kind.
hzryb

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion