Eagles take it very easy in Holland

Discuss the band.

Eagles take it very easy in Holland

Postby petervanleeuwen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:54 am

I am on holidays in Holland and went to see the Eagles last saturday. I was not alone, some 30.000 fans had payed many bucks to be there too. Well, the reviews in the newspapers told the story and I have to agree: Never before had I seen a show that was so uninspired, without a heart or a soul and without any respect for the fans of a country that helped make the Eagles big (they first played Holland in 1973, I was there and boy, what a show it was then). They hardly played 2 hours and only 3 songs from the "new"album. No pleasure on stage, just roll the show and let's go. No talking to the audience, and the lights went dim in between the songs to change gear. The people in the crowd gave them a polite applause, but went home dissapointed. Next time they won't be there anymore. Neither will I. These Eagles just Take it way too easy.
What a contrast with the Stagecoach show of Poco in april this year. It was there that I could see Timothy B. enjoying being on stage with friends and musicians who enjoy playing music. He might wanna do that again.
petervanleeuwen

Re: Eagles take it very easy in Holland

Postby wini » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 am

Strange enough, because most of the other shows of the Euro leg of that tour were about 3 hrs. I have bootlegs from Berlin and a US show in 2008 and 2009, and there 28 songs - I had heard that they dropped Busy Being Fabulous and Somebody, though.

Was there one of them that you had the feeling sang particularly few songs? Maybe somebody has a cold or something.

I don't want to defend them or argue with the 'uninspired' criticism. They run their shows like a well oiled machine with computer precision instead of heart & soul.

But they usually play long shows nonetheless.
wini

Postby petervanleeuwen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:19 am

The reason for the "short" show was that they had an opening act, which they usually don't have. The amazing Paul Carrack gave an inspired performance. Incredible voice and superb songs. His "How Long" surely made Eagles' opening song with the same title sound pale....
That's why the Eagles shortened their show with an hour, but it sure tells you something that they left off mostly their newer songs. They just took it way too easy this time. And like I said, Holland fans don't deserve a "treatment" like that.
petervanleeuwen

Postby wini » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:25 am

Even with an opening act they played long shows back in 1996. But that was then and this is now, I guess.

That's indeed the bad thing about the Eagles as well as a lot of other 'classic' acts that have a huge repertoire: With the exception of Bruce Springsteen they all tend to play it safe and give the audience what they think the audience wants: Greatest Hits.

That's why Bruce is THE BOSS: Nobody tells him what to play, not even his own hand-written setlist. You can ask, but you can't argue ...
wini

Postby MsUp » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:37 am

petervanleeuwen wrote:I am on holidays in Holland and went to see the Eagles last saturday. I was not alone, some 30.000 fans had payed many bucks to be there too. Well, the reviews in the newspapers told the story and I have to agree: Never before had I seen a show that was so uninspired, without a heart or a soul and without any respect for the fans of a country that helped make the Eagles big (they first played Holland in 1973, I was there and boy, what a show it was then). They hardly played 2 hours and only 3 songs from the "new"album. No pleasure on stage, just roll the show and let's go. No talking to the audience, and the lights went dim in between the songs to change gear. The people in the crowd gave them a polite applause, but went home dissapointed. Next time they won't be there anymore. Neither will I. These Eagles just Take it way too easy.
What a contrast with the Stagecoach show of Poco in april this year. It was there that I could see Timothy B. enjoying being on stage with friends and musicians who enjoy playing music. He might wanna do that again.

WOW, very interesting, Peter. I remember, you had said you were so looking forward to seeing this show. Sorry for your 'let down'. Sounds like it's becoming 'just a job' for those guys, but in all fairness to them, they could have been having an 'off' night (not a good thing when people are paying big bucks). I had heard, from others, who saw them, earlier on this tour, that they were very good. That being said, Paul Carrack 'is' a hard act to follow !

We can only hope that Tim will consider playing and singing for us again, what a sweet memory those boys left with us, at The Stagecoach.
MsUp

Postby hiro » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:53 pm

For many years, Eagles had been my #1 favorite band. But I won't go any more. HFO tour in Japan was still great, I was so much dissapointed Farewell tour. Exact same setlist and same credit card joke for Take It To The Limit every night everywhere. No Leadon, no Felder, I felt they seemed cover or karaoke band better than Eagles. I often wonder why I'm losing interest of Eagles, maybe due to without Leadon & Felder, I was a Glenn fan, for me, he coudln't write great songs (he could in 70s) after band broke up in 1980. Especially, no favorites in Long Road album. I thought he couldn't write nice tunes for that album, so he re-played JD's How Long. (How Long in Holland in 1973 is great!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJAHvB_wPag

In Japan, Long Road album was selled at the very expensice price about $38 (just one bonus track) and $48 (two bonus) by Universal Japan even if $12 in US. It's crazy. Of course, I bought from US friend. How many best albums after reunion? How few new songs after reunion? Timothy as backup musician? He can sing only I Can Tell You Why or Love will Keep Us Alive? ... many reasons to lose my interest.

MsUp wrote:We can only hope that Tim will consider playing and singing for us again, what a sweet memory those boys left with us, at The Stagecoach. [/b]

I believe so in a near future. I think he is a pure musician not a business man.
hiro

Postby petervanleeuwen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Another reason for being dissapointed might be that I have always been used to be sitting or standing (almost) front row. This time I was sitting a little bit further away at the side of the stage, so to really "see" the guys I had to watch the big screens (which I really don't like as it is like playing a DVD). It's hard to get involved in a show and I am sure this makes a big difference.
First time I saw the Eagles in 1973 it was in a small venue in Rotterdam (De Doelen, if anybody has a recording....) and I knew for certain that Randy was waving at me when he looked at me...;-) I still consider this the second best show I've ever seen: the best was when Poco played the Amsterdam Concert Gebouw in 1975 (again, if anybody ...)
So, once the Eagles will play a smaller venue again, I am the first to buy a ticket again. I will always be a big Eagles fan, let that be clear. But...no big stadiums for me anymore.
Last night Paul Carrack performed at a very small venue, some 300 people (full house) and I enjoyed every minute of this man and his band again. His version of "I don't want to hear any more" had much more soul than the version played by the Eagles the day before. Maybe because he wrote it... but also because I could almost touch the man with one of the best voices still around.
petervanleeuwen

Postby kroney » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:42 pm

petervanleeuwen wrote:Another reason for being dissapointed might be that I have always been used to be sitting or standing (almost) front row. This time I was sitting a little bit further away at the side of the stage, so to really "see" the guys I had to watch the big screens (which I really don't like as it is like playing a DVD). It's hard to get involved in a show and I am sure this makes a big difference.
First time I saw the Eagles in 1973 it was in a small venue in Rotterdam (De Doelen, if anybody has a recording....) and I knew for certain that Randy was waving at me when he looked at me...;-) I still consider this the second best show I've ever seen: the best was when Poco played the Amsterdam Concert Gebouw in 1975 (again, if anybody ...)
So, once the Eagles will play a smaller venue again, I am the first to buy a ticket again. I will always be a big Eagles fan, let that be clear. But...no big stadiums for me anymore.
Last night Paul Carrack performed at a very small venue, some 300 people (full house) and I enjoyed every minute of this man and his band again. His version of "I don't want to hear any more" had much more soul than the version played by the Eagles the day before. Maybe because he wrote it... but also because I could almost touch the man with one of the best voices still around.

Agree Peter....I will only pay to see them if it is in a Soundstage type venue..(Fat Chance)....They have certainly become too predictable and I really find it hard to watch Tim being used as a back up musician, even if he himself has no problem in doing so...

If I want perfection, I listen to studio recordings.....
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby ctlegend » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:11 pm

I have given up on the stadium concerts as well and I agree that if you have to watch a big screen to see the band, you might as well sit at home and watch a DVD.
Hope to see you soon Peter.
Chuck T
ctlegend

Postby Jeff Fin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:58 pm

If anyone wants to see a good Eagles show,they should come to my town...Marlboro N.J. July 26,free concert by the Eagles tribute band Hotel California at the municple township outdoor theatre....a little bit more energentic than the real Eagles.
Jeff Fin

Next

Return to Poco Discussion