Jackson Browne in Brooklyn

Discuss the band.

Jackson Browne in Brooklyn

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 am

With the weather holding off with just a slight mist now and then, Jackson and his band hit the Prospect Park stage at exactly 7:30 and went right into my favorite of his mid-period songs, I'm Alive, and although the sound wasn't quite right at the start with too much bass and a mushy blend, I'm a sucker for that song and enjoyed it anyway. The sound straightened out for the next one and he did Barricades Of Heaven just right and then he went into a solid I'll Do Anything.

Though I don't know the names of everybody in the band, it seemed to be the same one I've seen him with the last few times with Mark Goldenberg doing a lot of good work on the guitar (though yes, I still miss David Lindley) and featuring the keyboard guy Jeff Young and the two back up singers straight out of American Idol, all flash and bluster and no heart.

Jackson unstrapped his guitar and sat down to his keyboard-which is always a good sign because you have a good chance he's going deep into his catalogue-and we got a great Fountain Of Sorrow with the band handling the ebb and flow of that song perfectly. The rest of the first set was filled with newer material like Too Many Angels, Time The Conqueror, Naked Ride Home and Off Of Wonderland played really well and a beautiful Shape Of A Heart and he closed the set with an Eagles style Take It Easy with the woo whoos at the end instead of leading into the wonderful Our Lady Of The Well like it does on his For Everyman album.

At the break, a couple sat next to me and my friend and asked me what he had played and after giving the run down, he hoped he was saving the old songs for the second set. I said, I doubt it since he usually only played a handful from the good old days, but man was I wrong, happily so, as my friend kept going on and on how she couldn't believe how good Jackson looked.

He sat at the keyboard and sang a touching Jamaica Say You Will which I hadn't heard him do with a band since the 70s and I realized how much of a better singer he is now than back then. Next came a rousing Doctor My Eyes that turned into About My Imagination and those background singers stepped up and overwhelmed the song in a bad way-but everybody else seemed to love them. Next was one of the few well written political songs in the last 25 years, Lives in The Balance, which again featured the background singers who rendered the song less powerful than it is on record as they howled and moaned and shouted for attention instead of singing it simple and straight to let us focus on the words.

He did a few more from the new one, Going Down To Cuba and the one I like best, Just Say Yeah and then he brought out the masterpieces with the still sad and somehow hopeful, The Late Show, and its great closing image of the warm and windy day and the late (or is it early) model Chevrolet only to top that with the amazing surely top five death songs of all time, For A Dancer, that predictably and pathetically welled up my eyes. (Any NYers out there remember Pete Fornatale playing this when Belushi died after he had played an interview where Belushi said he always wanted to be a dancer?)

He closed with the usual one two punch of The Pretender (Still not my favorite song or my favorite arrangement) and a fun and rocking Running On Empty which I've never grown tired of and came back to do Little Steven's I Am A Patriot (and the river opens for the righteous) with a bridge of the Isley Bros It's Your Thing that had everybody standing and dancing along.

And then, there was one more surprise. He came back on stage, sat at the keyboard and did The Load Out and man, was I sick of this song back in the late 70s but after years of never playing it, I fell in love with it again as it built and exploded into Stay with the background singers finally fitting in perfectly and earning their pay.

Definitely the best Jackson show I've seen since The Pretender tour oh too many years ago.
TonyNYC

Re: Jackson Browne in Brooklyn

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 am

Not sure why, but this is the second time I started a thread and it was posted twice. Hasn't happened any time I've replied to a post. And I think I've pressed the same submit button once in every case....annoying.
TonyNYC

Postby Jimohara » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 am

Nice review Tony! Hope he comes this way, I have not seen Jackson with a band in sometime. I was kinda getting bored with his solo shows.
Jimohara

Postby dennis0226 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:28 am

i'm going to see poco 8/2 in orlando, and jackson browne on 8/7 in st. augustine , what a week. :oops:
dennis0226

Postby CurlyQfromLI » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:47 am

What a nice review..thanks!

I haven't seen him perform in YEARS...he even played at my college in NJ, "back in the day". Sorry I missed this one since I'm not that far from Brooklyn.

Follow your dreams, it's really all that you can do
Give it your best, and remember that life is what you choose
Follow your dreams, and do what you love to do
CurlyQfromLI

Postby Dar » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:33 pm

nice review,i love jackson brown
Dar

Postby sunsetkidd » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:26 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Not sure why, but this is the second time I started a thread and it was posted twice. Hasn't happened any time I've replied to a post. And I think I've pressed the same submit button once in every case....annoying.

And I thought I was just seeing double!

Well, I might as well tell you for the second time, that your review was great.
Saw that Jackson was playing in AC on Saturday night; sold out, but was willing to get scalped by stubhub. Won't work out with the JB fan I wanted to take; maybe next weekend in Camden.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Jim, Did you decide to check out Dylan or did he already play in your neighborhood?
TonyNYC

Postby sunsetkidd » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 am

It was an outdoor concert last night at First Energy Park where our Lakewood BlueClaws (minor league affiliate of the Phils) play; the rain and wind last night was tremendous, locally. That made up my mind for me. I can't see how the show even took place, but I don't know for sure what happened.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby davek » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:06 am

Great review, thanks. So good in fact i'll be popping in his Cd when I head out to play golf in this sauna i chose to live in. :|
davek

Return to Poco Discussion