The Flatlanders/Rodney Crowell

Discuss the band.

The Flatlanders/Rodney Crowell

Postby RedDirtRog » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:07 pm

How's about that for a double bill, I get to see Joe Ely, whom i've wanted to see for years along with Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore, AND on the same bill Rodney Crowell with Will Kimbrough, and i think Jed Hughes as well, last time i saw that line up they tore the place apart, can't wait for this Sunday.

Martin are you still going to this i have got you a ticket, will give you a buzz tomorrow night.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Re: The Flatlanders/Rodney Crowell

Postby sunsetkidd » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Now, THAT'S truly a great double bill.
Although, the Flatlanders have been an oddity to me, over the years. The individual parts are better than the sum...
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby woogie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:43 am

How did I guess that you started this thread Rog?, it had to be you buddy.You always surprise me with your knowledge of these bands etc. :)
woogie

Postby RedDirtRog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm

sunsetkidd wrote:Although, the Flatlanders have been an oddity to me, over the years. The individual parts are better than the sum...

I kinda thought that when they first got together, but they do seem to work well together and i prefer Jimmie Dale Gilmore's work with the band more than his solo work. The new album Hills and Valleys is a fine album and probably their best so far.

Jimmie's son Colin Gilmore had an excellent album out "The Day The Earth Stopped and Turned the Other Way" a few years back but does'nt seem to have done much since.

RedDirtRog

Postby mason » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:40 pm

i saw ...r c ..with will kimbrough a few years ago in santa cruz, ca. i am hoping he will come back sooner or later. i don't know who else will writes for, but he has written some songs for jimmy buffett in the recent past.
mason

Postby sunsetkidd » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:45 am

mason wrote:i saw ...r c ..with will kimbrough a few years ago in santa cruz, ca. i am hoping he will come back sooner or later. i don't know who else will writes for, but he has written some songs for jimmy buffett in the recent past.

A few samples of Crowell songs covered by others would be American Dream, (Nitty Gritty Dirt Band), Shame on the Moon, (Bob Seger), and Queen of Hearts, (Juice Newton, and I think Emmylou Harris). All of those were big selling radio hits for those folks (except again, I might be just hearing Emmylou sing this in my head, but it was the one hit for 'one-hit wonder' Newton).
Other than Stars on the Water, I don't know of any other Buffett covers of Crowell (and I prefer Rodney's original version of that by far)...can you tell me any others?

okay, I need to correct myself. Looking this stuff up, he did NOT write Queen of Hearts, but covered it himself (a nice version!)...but was the chief songwriter for Emmylou when he was in her 'Hot Band'.
He also wrote Long Hard Road for the Dirt Band, and some no. 1 country hits for the Oak Ridge Boys and Highway 101.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby TonyNYC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:53 am

Be sure to let us know how the show was Rog
TonyNYC

Postby featster » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:03 pm

sunsetkidd wrote:
mason wrote:i saw ...r c ..with will kimbrough a few years ago in santa cruz, ca. i am hoping he will come back sooner or later. i don't know who else will writes for, but he has written some songs for jimmy buffett in the recent past.

Queen of Hearts, (Juice Newton, and I think Emmylou Harris).

okay, I need to correct myself. Looking this stuff up, he did NOT write Queen of Hearts, but covered it himself (a nice version!)...but was the chief songwriter for Emmylou when he was in her 'Hot Band'.

Dave Edmunds did a great job with that song also. I think it's on "Repeat When Necessary".
featster

Postby litlfeat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:34 pm

I was just sittin around, minding my own business, when a little voice said to me "Elvis Costello wrote "Queen..."". No he didn't, says I, so I went to the ol' reliable internet and found that Hank DeVito, former Hot Band member, wrote the song. Mr. Edmunds recorded it first on his "Repeat When Necessary" lp in 1979 and the song hit #11 in the UK. Juice's version hit #2 in the US.
But, another little voice says to me that Elvis is mixed up in this sordid tale of songwriting/recording somewhere, somehow...
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby RedDirtRog » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:34 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Be sure to let us know how the show was Rog

Well it turned out to be one of the finest and most enjoyable perfomances from a band that i've been witness to, but more about that in a mo. There were live acts on the outdoor stage from midday until 7,0 clock, and i arrived in time to catch Jon Allen and his band, (not sure if anyones familiar with his music), his debut album Dead Man's Suit has gone down well over here, and his single In Your Light has had extensive airplay, it was a nice set.
Next up was a Bluegrass Band from the Blue Ridge Mountains, The Midnight Ramblers, who put on a lively set with some nice harmonies, but oh those suits, they came on wearing matching dull greyish green suits with matching shirt and Tie, YUK.
Then it was another brit who's been around for a long time, (i have some of his earlier stuff on vinyl) Hank Wangford with his band the Lost Cowboys containing britains finest Steel guitarist B.J Cole. This was the first time i'd seen him live and he certainly entertains with his wry sense of homour and wit, he makes misery sound fun.

Then it was into the Hall for Rodney Crowell, who did have the excellent Will
Kimbrough and Jed Hughes backing him, but this time it was an accoustic set, and although it was a pretty good set containing a mix of old songs and songs from his
current album with one new song "Jesus Talk To Mamma". Will took lead on one song
from his new Daddy album, and Jed sang lead on a couple of songs. I much prefered the
rocking show these guys put on when i last saw them.

Then it was time for The Flatlanders and i was'nt sure what to expect but boy did they put on a show, Sunset Kidd mentioned about them being an oddity, well they maybe look a little odd when they are lined up together, but the oddity stops there, because this was a wonderful performance one of the best i've seen, they had an excellent band backing them with Rob Gjersoe playing some blistering lead guitar and Pat Manske on Drums. Way too many highlights to mention, but they closed with a wonderful sequence of songs, Dallas from A DC9 at night followed by a song which is destined to become a
classic and the best song on the new album "Sowing On The Mountain" followed by an encore of Butch Hancocks wonderful "If You were a Bluebird and Terry Allens, awesome Gimme A Ride To Heaven Boy. They recieved 2 standing ovations which was more than well deserved. Joe Ely is the man he walked on stage grinning from ear to ear, and that grin never left his face.
After the difficult times of late this was a much needed tonic.

Cheers Rog.

RedDirtRog

Next

Return to Poco Discussion