MICHAEL JACKSON VS THE EAGLES

Discuss the band.

MICHAEL JACKSON VS THE EAGLES

Postby Jeff Fin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Michael Jackson's Thriller is the top-selling album in the world, but it's No. 2 in the USA, behind the Eagles' Greatest Hits 1971-75. With a recent spike in Jackson album sales, surpassing the Eagles is "inevitable," says Billboard's Keith Caulfield.

The Eagles will be landing — in second place. That's how industry observers are calling the race between the band's Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975 and Michael Jackson's resurgent Thriller.
Already the world's top-selling album, 1982's Thriller has been trailing the Eagles' 1976 compilation in U.S. sales for the past decade. The recent rush for Jackson records seems to be tipping the scales, though a final accounting won't be available until the Recording Industry Association of America updates its rankings, which is usually done at the request of labels.

The record industry trade group measures sales based on shipments of albums. Thriller stands at 28 million, the Eagles at 29 million. Since Jackson's death June 25, Thriller has sold 666,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Surpassing the Eagles is "inevitable," says Keith Caulfield, Billboard's senior chart manager. "You figure a million units were just shipped. Add another million in the pipeline in the next month, and he could overtake the Eagles before the end of the year.
I hope CEO Henley can handle second place.....
Jeff Fin

Re: MICHAEL JACKSON VS THE EAGLES

Postby CurlyQfromLI » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:17 pm

I hope CEO Henley can handle second place.....[/quote]

LOL ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Follow your dreams, it's really all that you can do
Give it your best, and remember that life is what you choose
Follow your dreams, and do what you love to do
CurlyQfromLI

Postby jerzeypocofan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:28 pm

Awesome! Go Michael!...just got the dvd of Michael's #1's what a talent 8-)
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby wini » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:57 am

Death is always an option when discussing sales boost utilities (see Mozart, Beethoven et. al. who haven't sold a single record in their lifetime, but started selling like crazy hundreds of years later).

It was discussed heavily within the Eagles, but Henley replied it would contradict his solo work, esp. the song "I Will Not Go Quietly". Frey refused mentioning there were way too many golf touraments left to play for him. Joe Walsh shrugged off the offer with a classy "Been there, done that". The soft spoken bass player (the name escapes me right now, that left-over long-haired hippie type) will make up his mind as soon as the band has told him where the majority will go.
wini

Postby TonyNYC » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:50 am

Good one Wini...even with death, it's pretty impressive that Michael's album is a regular one and not a Greatest Hits.
TonyNYC

Postby Radley Bosworth » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:22 am

More distasteful anti Eagle posts from Poconots,this tends to get very boring
Radley Bosworth

Postby sunsetkidd » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:33 am

Radley Bosworth wrote:More distasteful anti Eagle posts from Poconots,this tends to get very boring

Yet here you are!
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby davek » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:52 am

Just joined this site. I have been a POCO fan since hearing them 1968..(yeah I'm OLD) I have been an Eagles Fan since I heard them for the 1st time. They both are the best. Get over it. I was born and raised in Gary Indiana. When Michael was rising to fame. He was a natural...I never bought his music, but you can't dismiss his talent. It's too bad money AND isolation sent him over the edge.
I live in Florida now and saw POCO at Ruth Eckard Hall a couple of years ago. Enjoyed it, met Paul Cotton. I hope to see them again soon.
davek

Postby MartinG » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:59 pm

Radley Bosworth wrote:More distasteful anti Eagle posts from Poconots,this tends to get very boring

I think you'd find you'd bee a lot more popular too if you were dead, Radley !
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse ? Bruce Springsteen
MartinG

Postby Radley Bosworth » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:11 pm

MartinG wrote:

I think you'd find you'd bee a lot more popular too if you were dead, Radley !

Tasteless sophomoric humor from the clueless Martin,I guess this is the norm over here.
Radley Bosworth

Next

Return to Poco Discussion