Rose Of Cimmaron

Discuss the band.

Re: Rose Of Cimmaron

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm

guitarbro wrote:"Oh and lets not forget "The Great White Falcon" Lead Guitar part"

Actually the lead part was done with a Les Paul, not a White Falcon. Also the you tube video is not live. Sometimes certain publishing laws don't allow groups to do some songs live. Another video of Poco "Just for me and you" the vocals are live, but the music is not.

A great tune to be sure and one of the best they ever recorded. Harmony-wise only second to, Keep on Tryin'.I thought the lead was played on a Strat so I was way off. Where did you find that info?
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby joeyg7 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:34 pm

The vocal at the end of ROC is Tim by himself,at least the studio version.I believe when i saw them perform the song live on Don Kirshners rock concert circa 1976 Tim also sang that part alone.
joeyg7

Postby litlfeat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Few know that I, Bob (litlfeat) sang a tenor part during the recording of "Rose". However, someone noted that I had a voice like a "razor" and my part in history was erased. The nickname "razor throat" was mine originally, but since I wasn't famous, no one cared much. I gave the name to George (who DOES NOT sing like a razor voice), but I still do!!! The rest, as they say, is not history. Nor is what you just read.
And I AM NOT drinking!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby guitarbro » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 am

A great tune to be sure and one of the best they ever recorded. Harmony-wise only second to, Keep on Tryin'.I thought the lead was played on a Strat so I was way off. Where did you find that info?

I was on the writing staff at ABC records when they were recording that album, Paul always had his black Les Paul and his White Les Paul. Everytime I saw them and they played ROC he used a Les Paul, in fact everytime I have ever seen Poco Paul used a Les Paul. It doesn't have the White Falcon Sound nor does it have the strat sound.
guitarbro

Postby MsUp » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am

Speaking of this awesome Poco tune, it looks like the entire LP/CD will be part of their 'really big shoe' at Wildwood Springs Lodge, in ROCtober, with the current line up & George Grantham 'sittin' in' (as previously discussed here). I think we should find that thread and continue the countdown.

BTW, I'm always amazed at how much musical knowledge is out there in 'nutsville'. As much as I think I know, I always learn something from you guys. I recently found out, from the master himself (Cappy), that the guitar he was playing in Central Park 1971, was a Gretsch (I had always thought it to be a Les Paul because of it's size). My picture of Paul, with that guitar, was on 'his page' in the booklet that accompanied the A Good Feelin' To Know LP (for 37 years, I thought it was his Les Paul - what a silly girl !)...
MsUp

Postby AlexInRI » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm going home tonight and digging up my copy of that lp just to look at the booklet.
AlexInRI

Postby randall » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 pm

Just curious. Wonder why and correct me if i am wrong, But in the you tube video is that not a White Falcon? And if it is can anyone shed any light as to why during the production of this video Paul chose the Gretch in Lieu of the Les Paul that was utilized on the recording.
randall

Postby sunsetkidd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:38 pm

MsUp wrote:[b]Speaking of this awesome Poco tune, it looks like the entire LP/CD will be part of their 'really big shoe' at Wildwood Springs Lodge, in ROCtober, with the current line up & George Grantham 'sittin' in' (as previously discussed here). I think we should find that thread and continue the countdown.

I think that is VERY cool beyond words that George Grantham will be 'sittin in'.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby severalpieces » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:11 pm

(I had always thought it to be a Les Paul because of it's size). My picture of Paul, with that guitar, was on 'his page' in the booklet that accompanied the A Good Feelin' To Know LP (for 37 years, I thought it was his Les Paul - what a silly girl !)...[/b][/quote]

I am a bit surprised myself, since back in the day, a Les Paul was king finger platform.
Must have been a custom Gretch/no cut outs. Good to know!
B!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion