The Pretenders

Discuss the band.

The Pretenders

Postby ErnstPepping » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:14 pm

Although i've never bought any of her stuff i did hear her on the radio and t.v. and liked 'brass in pocket'... another hit song by the Marmalade i liked too, called 'rainbow' back in the 70's...but, i don't generally buy into pop music...:D
Last edited by ErnstPepping on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstPepping

Re: The Pretenders

Postby TonyNYC » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm

From their debut self titled album and it came out in, I'm pretty sure, 1980
TonyNYC

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 am

"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby waldo » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 am

I was a big fan from Stop Your Sobbing (their first single). Saw one of their earliest US appearances. It was in Portchester NY, I forget the name of the place. Dakota or Detroit or something like that. The Replacements opened, the Pretenders were great, and Chrissie wore a "My way or the highway" T-shirt.
waldo

Postby litlfeat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:46 am

I didn't realize they were touring. I just happened to be in Asbury Park last weekend and saw they were coming to the Stone Pony. I would like to see them, never have, but can't make that show. I am heading back home to Maryland today. It would have been great to see the original line-up!
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby AlexInRI » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:59 am

Saw them in Boston last year and they were fabulous. I should say Chrissy was fabulous as she really is The Pretenders. Only Martin the drummer is left from the original group as the others have left this earth. The amazing thing was she had a pedal steel player in the band and she played some great country stuff in addition to all the old proto-punk and new wave from the distant past. Love her acoustic live CD from the Isle of View. Here's a review of that CD:

Tim Brough "author and music buff" (Springfield, PA United States)
This little gem snuck into The Pretenders' discography after Chrissie took a latter day incarnation of The Pretenders on an A&E concert TV special. (That show is available as "The Isle Of View" DVD.) The surprise is just how effective and intimate Chrissie sounds in the "Unplugged" setting. She split the set between obvious songs and crowd pleasers ("Brass In Pocket," "Back On The Chain Gang") a surprise or two (I always thought "Sense Of Purpose," the best song on "Packed," was unjustly ignored -- and here it's the show opener), and some delightful reworks. In particular, the string laden version of "Kid" here takes on a greater sense of maturity some twenty years down the line. While I'd have a hard time recommending "The Isle Of View" as the most potent of Pretenders albums, it remains a personal fave of mine for more relaxing moments. If you're just getting into 80's or The Pretenders' music, start with their debut, "Learning to Crawl" or the updated (and import only, come on Warners) greatest hits. But if you're already a fan and this one slipped under your radar, "The Isle Of View" is a serious contender for your listening dollars.
AlexInRI

Postby TonyNYC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 pm

I'm a big Pretenders fan too and I do love that acoustic live album, especially Sense Of Purpose, Hymn To Her and Revolution.

Although Rock N Roll is one of the places where women haven't proven to be as good as men as of yet, Chrissie Hynde is one of the rare exceptions. Hands down, the best Rock N Roll Woman.
TonyNYC

Postby severalpieces » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 pm

litlfeat wrote:I didn't realize they were touring. I just happened to be in Asbury Park last weekend and saw they were coming to the Stone Pony. I would like to see them, never have, but can't make that show. I am heading back home to Maryland today. It would have been great to see the original line-up!

With Chrissie ?? Does she still perform ? I need to look into this !
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:22 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Although Rock N Roll is one of the places where women haven't proven to be as good as men as of yet, Chrissie Hynde is one of the rare exceptions. Hands down, the best Rock N Roll Woman.

Can't say I agree with the first part of your comment, but I certainly agree with you on the rest.

What's not to love about a woman with attitude and her Tele??? ;)
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby TonyNYC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Though women are better than men in most things...Don't you think that men have done more and better things than women when it comes to rock n roll so far, Carolyn? It seems fairly evident, no?
TonyNYC

Next

Return to Poco Discussion