The Pretenders

Discuss the band.

Re: The Pretenders

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Though women are better than men in most things...Don't you think that men have done more and better things than women when it comes to rock n roll so far, Carolyn? It seems fairly evident, no?

Well...I don't know about the first part, but I can't disagree that men have done "more" things than women in rock and roll...so far. But...putting it into a societal context, the first 30 or so years of rock and roll pretty much disallowed women altogether (except as decoration). The field has never been even. And I think that rather than saying "male or female rockers", what we're talking about here are male and female guitarists. As guitarists go, outside of Wanda Jackson, I can't think of another female guitarist who made any kind of a mark until the mid-to-late 70s...(but I might later).

Out of the chute and continuing even today, women guitarists seem always to get a gender qualifier, not unlike a golf handicap. In sheer numbers, yes, there have been more men so they have done more, but in terms of talent or skill, I don't see that they are better...just more numerous.

And of course, musical (and other) tastes/preferences(/fantasies) have a lot to do with it: perception is everything!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby severalpieces » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:46 pm

studiogirl wrote:
TonyNYC wrote:Although Rock N Roll is one of the places where women haven't proven to be as good as men as of yet, Chrissie Hynde is one of the rare exceptions. Hands down, the best Rock N Roll Woman.

Can't say I agree with the first part of your comment, but I certainly agree with you on the rest.

What's not to love about a woman with attitude and her Tele??? ;)

What's not to love about a woman who shared in creating a child with Ray Davies!
AHHH !
She's my hipster chick!!! Love her!
B!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby sunsetkidd » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:48 pm

litlfeat wrote:I didn't realize they were touring. I just happened to be in Asbury Park last weekend and saw they were coming to the Stone Pony. I would like to see them, never have, but can't make that show. I am heading back home to Maryland today. It would have been great to see the original line-up!

They're at the Pony on Sunday, Aug. 9.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby severalpieces » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 pm

sunsetkidd wrote:
litlfeat wrote:I didn't realize they were touring. I just happened to be in Asbury Park last weekend and saw they were coming to the Stone Pony. I would like to see them, never have, but can't make that show. I am heading back home to Maryland today. It would have been great to see the original line-up!

They're at the Pony on Sunday, Aug. 9.

With Chrissie >?
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

Postby TonyNYC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:35 pm

Well...I don't know about the first part, but I can't disagree that men have done "more" things than women in rock and roll...so far. But...putting it into a societal context, the first 30 or so years of rock and roll pretty much disallowed women altogether (except as decoration). The field has never been even. And I think that rather than saying "male or female rockers", what we're talking about here are male and female guitarists. As guitarists go, outside of Wanda Jackson, I can't think of another female guitarist who made any kind of a mark until the mid-to-late 70s...(but I might later).

Out of the chute and continuing even today, women guitarists seem always to get a gender qualifier, not unlike a golf handicap. In sheer numbers, yes, there have been more men so they have done more, but in terms of talent or skill, I don't see that they are better...just more numerous.

And of course, musical (and other) tastes/preferences(/fantasies) have a lot to do with it: perception is everything![/quote]

Not sure if I have this quote thing down correctly...though I realize that there never was and may never be 'even ground' when it comes to rock n roll and men and women, it just seems that that the acknowledged bests in rock n roll are dominated by men except for maybe vocalists because you have to put Aretha-can she sneak into the rock category-up there with anyone.

By the way, any one would want to name their best or favorite 10 women in rock or even popular music?

I'd start with Chrissie, Joni, Aretha, Carole King...and there would be at least ten guys or bands I'd put above them all.

I'm not just trying to be argumentative...I'd like to know if other folks see it the same way.
TonyNYC

Postby studiogirl » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:24 pm

TonyNYC wrote:...I realize that there never was and may never be 'even ground' when it comes to rock n roll and men and women, it just seems that that the acknowledged bests in rock n roll are dominated by men except for maybe vocalists because you have to put Aretha-can she sneak into the rock category-up there with anyone.

By the way, any one would want to name their best or favorite 10 women in rock or even popular music?

I'd start with Chrissie, Joni, Aretha, Carole King...and there would be at least ten guys or bands I'd put above them all.

I'm not just trying to be argumentative...I'd like to know if other folks see it the same way.

Tony, you're right -- I pretty much see it your way, but again, I think there's the element of society (and how things were/are). It's that the category is "favorite 10 women in rock" not "favorite 10 people in rock".

To add to your list, though, there's Carla Olson, Jackie de Shannon, Dusty Springfield, Darlene Love, Annie and Nancy Wilson, Joan Armatrading, Patti Smith, Deborah Harry...and more but I'll spare you. :roll:
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby thatguybackthere » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am

i really like female guitarists!!
thatguybackthere

Postby keefsdad99 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:27 pm

TonyNYC wrote:I'm a big Pretenders fan too and I do love that acoustic live album, especially Sense Of Purpose, Hymn To Her and Revolution.

Although Rock N Roll is one of the places where women haven't proven to be as good as men as of yet, Chrissie Hynde is one of the rare exceptions. Hands down, the best Rock N Roll Woman.

Chicks don't rock? Check out The Donnas, among many others. No offense, but I must disagree :D
keefsdad99

Postby keefsdad99 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:29 pm

severalpieces wrote:

With Chrissie ?? Does she still perform ? I need to look into this !

She's never really stopped, to my knowledge. The new album is essential :D
keefsdad99

Postby keefsdad99 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 pm

studiogirl wrote:
TonyNYC wrote:Though women are better than men in most things...Don't you think that men have done more and better things than women when it comes to rock n roll so far, Carolyn? It seems fairly evident, no?

And of course, musical (and other) tastes/preferences(/fantasies) have a lot to do with it: perception is everything!

Exactly. Very well put, Studiogirl.
keefsdad99

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion