The Pretenders

Discuss the band.

Re: The Pretenders

Postby keefsdad99 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:33 pm

severalpieces wrote:
sunsetkidd wrote:
litlfeat wrote:I didn't realize they were touring. I just happened to be in Asbury Park last weekend and saw they were coming to the Stone Pony. I would like to see them, never have, but can't make that show. I am heading back home to Maryland today. It would have been great to see the original line-up!

They're at the Pony on Sunday, Aug. 9.

With Chrissie >?

The Pretenders IS Chrissy :D
keefsdad99

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:38 pm

With Chrissie >?[/quote]
The Pretenders IS Chrissy :D[/quote]

This be true
TonyNYC

Postby keefsdad99 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:52 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Well...I don't know about the first part, but I can't disagree that men have done "more" things than women in rock and roll...so far. But...putting it into a societal context, the first 30 or so years of rock and roll pretty much disallowed women altogether (except as decoration). The field has never been even. And I think that rather than saying "male or female rockers", what we're talking about here are male and female guitarists. As guitarists go, outside of Wanda Jackson, I can't think of another female guitarist who made any kind of a mark until the mid-to-late 70s...(but I might later).

Out of the chute and continuing even today, women guitarists seem always to get a gender qualifier, not unlike a golf handicap. In sheer numbers, yes, there have been more men so they have done more, but in terms of talent or skill, I don't see that they are better...just more numerous.

And of course, musical (and other) tastes/preferences(/fantasies) have a lot to do with it: perception is everything!

Not sure if I have this quote thing down correctly...though I realize that there never was and may never be 'even ground' when it comes to rock n roll and men and women, it just seems that that the acknowledged bests in rock n roll are dominated by men except for maybe vocalists because you have to put Aretha-can she sneak into the rock category-up there with anyone.

By the way, any one would want to name their best or favorite 10 women in rock or even popular music?

I'd start with Chrissie, Joni, Aretha, Carole King...and there would be at least ten guys or bands I'd put above them all.

I'm not just trying to be argumentative...I'd like to know if other folks see it the same way.[/quote]

Chrissy
Joni mitchell
Joan Jett
Donnas
Melissa Etheridge
Janis Joplin
Rory Block
Liona Boyd
Jennifer Batten
Rickie Lee Jones
Bonni Raitt
Lou Anne Barton
And I could go on and on.........
I have always listened to lot of female artists and never found them in the least inferior.
keefsdad99

Postby studiogirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 pm

TonyNYC wrote:The Pretenders IS Chrissy :D

This be true

Holy freaking cow...Tony, you used an emoticon??? LOL Image
ImageImageImage
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 pm

I've always listened to a lot of female artists too and like a lot of them a whole lot (give me Chrissie, Joni, Rickie Lee, Ronnie Spector, Lucinda Williams & Neko Case, Melanie, Aretha as my favorites) and don't consider them inferior, but most people would have men dominating the top tier of rock n roll and its related forms... I know that's how it looks to me.
TonyNYC

Postby studiogirl » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:08 pm

studiogirl wrote:Holy freaking cow...Tony, you used an emoticon??? LOL Image
ImageImageImage

Okay...I looked at it again, and Keefsdad's post...and I think you're off the hook this time. The quote and emoticon functions are kinda wacky here.

At my age I don't need a scare like that! LOL
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Yeah, Carolyn, quoting on this site can be confusing, but I swear I had nothing to do with those emoticons. I'd probably even get a cell phone or use an ATM card before I use one of those things....
TonyNYC

Postby ErnstPepping » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:31 am

ErnstPepping wrote:Although i've never bought any of her stuff i did hear her on the radio and t.v. and liked 'brass in pocket'... another hit song by the Marmalade i liked too, called 'rainbow' back in the 70's...but, i don't generally buy into pop music...:D

i'm a fan of the 'Grass Roots' though
Last edited by ErnstPepping on Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ErnstPepping

Postby keefsdad99 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:22 pm

TonyNYC wrote:I've always listened to a lot of female artists too and like a lot of them a whole lot (give me Chrissie, Joni, Rickie Lee, Ronnie Spector, Lucinda Williams & Neko Case, Melanie, Aretha as my favorites) and don't consider them inferior, but most people would have men dominating the top tier of rock n roll and its related forms... I know that's how it looks to me.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "dominating". I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make.
But that's ok :D
keefsdad99

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion