For Musicians Only--What was the first song you learned

Discuss the band.

For Musicians Only--What was the first song you learned

Postby guitarbro » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:14 am

The first song I learned was "Red River Rock" by Johnny and the Hurricaines. Though it was primary a Organ song, It had that wild guitar solo in the middle. Still a great song today.
guitarbro

Re: For Musicians Only--What was the first song you learned

Postby darrelp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 am

The first for me was "Love Minus Zero, No Limit" by Bob Dylan. It was only D and G. It took awhile to get down that F chord, so I started easy. Also, a Dylan songbook was the first one I had. To me, guitar playing was always for singing. I never got particularly good at leads.
darrelp

Postby wini » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:45 am

"Venus" by the Dutch band "Shocking Blue" (Em/A). Then some Dylan (Blowing In The Wind) and Eve Of Destruction. No more than 3 chords at a time for a song ...
wini

Postby lumpyryder » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:00 am

Moonshadow by cat stevens but its been so long since i played it i forget the chords. I also learned henry by NRPS and a couple of eagle tunes I bought the song books for these artists and still have them somewhere Im going to have to dig them out and see if i still remember how to play some of them I sure wish i could find a song book with some of Poco's tunes in it . Does anyone know if they ever released one. Maybe they still could , Pocos greatest hits would be a good one if they could put it together.
lumpyryder

Postby randall » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:03 am

Wipeout!
randall

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:02 am

I'm hardly a musician but what guitar I do play I taught myself. The first song I figured out and played from start to finish was, The World Turns Around Her a great Gene Clark tune by the Byrds.
A few weeks ago, I came across the paper I used to fit the chords to the lyrics. I was really proud about figuring it out and have kept it all this time!
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Bonnie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:43 am

G-l-o-r-i-a.
And some old cowboy tune, I forget what it is called but it goes, "Whoopie ti-i-o, get along little doggies..." I still remember the chords to that one. I thought it was so cool to play that alternating bass in 3/4 time.
I also fooled around with a harmonica back in high school, and could play "Oh Suzannah" and "Red River Valley."
The first Poco song I learned was Kind Woman, but that was only a couple years ago.
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby AlexInRI » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 am

I spirited my grandmother's guitar up to my bedroom with my sister's piano book The Golden Beatles and spent two weeks learning how to play chords. My first song was Not A Second Time. It boasted the lovely C chord, the ever useful Am chord, the necessary G chord, the tricky Dm7 and the oh so useful Em. After learning that I only had the oh so difficult F to master and I could play almost everything the original Fab 4 had to offer. I still have that Beatles book (sans cover). I do remember the cover. It was a grotesque (to me) rendering of the boys in gold colored clay. I found a picture of it online:

http://www.rarebeatles.com/sheetmu/books/sb1stgld.jpg
AlexInRI

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:16 am

Bamboo by Peter, Paul & Mary

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby litlfeat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 am

While not currently a musician, I did play the guitar a lot in my teens. The first tune I tackled was "House of the Rising Sun", Animal's version. After that it was "I Got A Line On You", Spirit and then a bunch of Creedence. Those were the days.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Next

Return to Poco Discussion