Woodstock

Discuss the band.

Woodstock

Postby LJH » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 am

Lonesomedave mentioned Woodstock in a post in the 60s music thread, and it got me to thinking. Seems most of us Nuts are 'of an age' - how many here were at Woodstock?

I spent one soggy night and headed out for drier territory. Had no idea it was history in the making, I just wanted to be somewhere with flush toilets. Who else?
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Re: Woodstock

Postby Dar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 am

not i :(
Dar

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:57 am

I posted on a thread years back about where I was but at the time of Woodstock, my ship was in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As we got our news via Armed Forces TWX's, we missed a lot of what was happening when we were out at sea. They restricted any anti-war news and I guess Woodstock was considered in that area so it had come and gone by the time we got back to the states. It wasn't until the album and movie were released that we found about how big an event it was, about a year after.
I was in the Bay area the day of Altamont and we headed off to see that but the traffic was backed up for miles and it was a wet, chilly day and we turned around. Just as well, considering.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 am

Had to work that weekend.

Dr. Galvin
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby pocoman54 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:01 am

I was in a hospital in Bronxville, NY recovering from ankle surgery. I broke my ankle Mar 17, 1969 that required two screws to hold the bones in place. Six months later I had another surgery to take them out. I didn't even know it was happening until I got back to school (sophmore HS) and talked about it in an English class!
Pocoin' In Lima, NY
Danny
pocoman54

Postby MsUp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:25 am

LJH wrote:Lonesomedave mentioned Woodstock in a post in the 60s music thread, and it got me to thinking. Seems most of us Nuts are 'of an age' - how many here were at Woodstock?

I spent one soggy night and headed out for drier territory. Had no idea it was history in the making, I just wanted to be somewhere with flush toilets. Who else?

I was there, knee deep in mud for days (and I was in a very protected area).
MsUp

Postby litlfeat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am

I was just a tad too young to go (14), but I remember well listening to the radio reports as the traffic jams got worse and the estimated #s of attendees grew. Wow did I wish I were there.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby wheland » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:14 am

It was the Summer between Junior and Senior year in high school and I planned on going with a cousin who lived in Albany, NY.

Unfortunately (or more realistically fortunately because I would have been miserable with the weather problems) my boss would not give me the time off because I had already asked for the following week off. He said I could only get one and I couldn't convince my Mother it was more important to go to Woodstock than on vacation with her.

Dennis
wheland

Postby Bonnie » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 am

That was the year I graduated from high school, and I was preparing for my first semester of college. I was busy buying coulottes (sp?) and notebooks and packing for college. I had heard about it but didn't really think it a possibility for me to go, although I was curious about it. I didn't think my parents would have allowed me to go and spend a weekend with thousands of "hippies."
I didn't get properly corrupted until I actually got to college. It didn't dawn on me till then that I could actually do things without my parents' permission.
Let your thoughts be kind...Have a little peace of mind.
Bonnie

Postby Patm » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:54 pm

MsUp wrote:
LJH wrote:Lonesomedave mentioned Woodstock in a post in the 60s music thread, and it got me to thinking. Seems most of us Nuts are 'of an age' - how many here were at Woodstock?

I was there, knee deep in mud for days (and I was in a very protected area).

Ms Up, Would enjoy hearing more details, especially about the musical acts you saw.

Never made it myself. Talked about the possibility but none of us had a car or knew anyone going. I have been enjoying the new 40th Aniversary DVD with additional footage. If I could have been there for just one act, it would have been to see The Who.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Next

Return to Poco Discussion