Woodstock

Discuss the band.

Re: Woodstock

Postby swandy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:31 pm

We were about 20 or so miles away in Swan Lake (outside of Liberty) watching all the cars on the road outside the hotel/bungaloe colony try to make progress. A group of kids (we were all around 16/17 or so) wanted to hitch over but our parents :shock: sort of "convinced" us that it was not a good idea. Do remember driving up that Friday in the enormous traffic jams!!! (My dad thought that the Thruway Authority had run out of toll tickets - this was well before EZ-Pass remember - the backup to get on the NYS Thruway was so bad.
Still - nice memories.
Steve
swandy

Postby LJH » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:53 pm

Yeah, I remember all that traffic! My friends and I were on bikes; I was riding my brand-spanking-new 1969 HD Sportster so we just passed on the right (or left, or in between, or all of the above) both going and leaving. Must have really sucked to be in a car, except for the staying dry part.
Jorja

"Gittin' old ain't fer sissies."
LJH

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Patm wrote: If I could have been there for just one act, it would have been to see The Who.

Between the Who and Santana. I did see Santana before WS and Ten Years After, after WS so I say the Who as well.

Santana was not as good early on but TYA was just as good.
My older brother had a part time security job in the Norfolk area and saw the Who. He's from the Buddy Holly days and I had to laugh when he told me, "Ya' know, that guitar player they have is pretty good."

I think the Woodstock portion of, "The Kid's Alright" is ultra cool.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby litlfeat » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:32 am

As my previous post said, I was a little too young, but I have always had this strange desire just to see the site...maybe play a little Hendrix or Ten Years After real loud, just for fun.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby DooDa Dave » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:29 pm

I was 16, working as a waiter at a camp in Port Jervis, NY. On Sunday, nine of us decided to try to hitch-hike there. We split up. My friend and I were the only ones who made at 4 AM Monday AM after sleeping in the rain by the side of the road. It was a sea of mud and hippies and was truly a mind-blowing spectacle. I did not drink or take any drugs, but all I remember was wandering around, all the freaks, and Sha Na Na playing. We left prior to Hendrix (if we had only known). The next day I was very ill with the highest fever I ever had and spent the next few days in the camp infirmary. The rides we got there and back were very interesting, to say the least.
DooDa Dave

Postby Straycat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:54 pm

Straycat wrote:Nice story on NBC news tonight...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 1#32394611

Nice clip. I'm glad they made it. I'm glad they still are together.
"Talkin' 'bout my generation!"
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Straycat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:07 pm

Didn't make Woodstock, but did attend the Seattle Pop Festival three weeks PRIOR to Woodstock. Great weather, no traffic, and wonderful music (other than the Doors).

Here's a clip from Randy Bachman about the festival (and I've still got the handbill he's talking about.)

I need to call a few buddies and have a musical reunion this weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po58K0HN1qE
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby litlfeat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 pm

"By the time I got to Woodstock, they were already gone"
Haven't ever been there, but I sure would like to catch one of Levon's "Barn Dances", or whatever he calls 'em.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby panama1955nh » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 am

From when I was 13 - 19, each summer I spent the last two weeks of August at a campground in Maine called Papoose Pond. During the summer of 69, we were glued to the TV in the Rec Hall watching the news clips about what was happening a bit too far away on Max's farm. The following summer, we all had the film soundtrack and tried to relive in the Rec Hall with the record what we missed. I'll be there in Spirit on Saturday just like 40 years ago. Long Live Woodstock

panama
"I've got a good reason for loving you..."
panama1955nh

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion