Bad sound at the Ritz Tampa

Discuss the band.

Bad sound at the Ritz Tampa

Postby schewman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:25 am

Hi Poconuts
Me and my wife went to the show tonight at the Ritz in Tampa. Pure prairie League opened up and did a great job. I don't think anybody on stage had a clue how bad the sound was out in the hall. Like I said , great job by PPL. We sat in the second row. Nice to see a concert from the second row. The whole time we listened to the first act we noticed that there were no side fills so that anyone on stage could not really play to what they were hearing in relation to the mix out front. Both bands had to mix their sound from very small monitors at the front of the stage. Even though what I'm printing here on the web - site sounds like I'm complaining, That's not the case. We sat right up front and enjoyed the close prox. to the band. We have seen Poco many times in concert and they are one of our favorite bands. During the whole concert there was no definion on any of the bass notes. Anyone sitting up front could not make out what anyone was saying over the micophones while anyone was talking over them. O. K. that said, we want Poco to keep touring and playing for as long as they want to. When we saw Poco at the Lyric theater in Stewart Fla. there was a great mix , the meet and greet after the show was premo and everybody was happy. Don't let this happen to great musicians that other musicians look up to and even though most fans don't realize what Poco has to put up with when they go on the road , be away from there families, sleep in tight quarters and be inconvenienced. Other than that, it was great to see Poco and where is the new album.
Eddie James
I sat there all night and liked it
schewman

Re: Bad sound at the Ritz Tampa

Postby drmojave » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:11 am

i have seen/heard horrible sound at poco concerts. it's not really the the sound system that is defective, it is that they don't know how to mix. my common complaint that you can barely hear rusty's steel. rusty's steel is more than integral to the poco sound, it IS the poco sound. i have, on occasion, gone to the house mixer and told them to turn up rusty's steel. i don't want to meddle, but, if i go to a poco show, i freaking want to hear rusty's freaking steel!
-
i know how this music is supposed to sound. you can't expect a 20 something kid, however talented, to do a good house mix if he is not familiar with the music.
out in the great mojave, there's a city that i know
with a truckstop, a dairy queen, and a recording studio.
-
if you drive all night in the pale moonlight, this road will take you home.
oh ludlow, i'm comin' home to you.
drmojave

Postby Bogeyfire » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:52 am

Oh man, you're killing me! I hate when this happens.

How many years ago was it that the sound issue came up with the concert at Humphrey's in San Diego? The Poconuts were battling each other over that. Some were actually mad that Poco didn't have their own sound guy on tour to tell the venue what to do. It doesn't work that way. And the best news is, Poco likes to work!

I'd love to hear Poco's take. We haven't heard much from George L. lately, but he is our inside guy who tells it like it is. This is one of the best features of this site, that we frequently hear the band's insight and the industry standard.

Sound check almost seems like a religious ceremony. They have fun. They invite guests. They get it right. Sound is very important to them But at showtime, every few years it goes haywire from one band to the next.

I trust Poco. With this bias stipulated, I'm sorry the Ritz "F-ed it up"! If that is not the case, I suspect the band will fill us in with the details. I hope Tampa has another opportunity to see these guys shine!
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby gwwjk19 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:40 am

A few of my friends (including my gal, Mar) went to the show in Tampa last night...When i talked to her this morn (I live up on long Island) the first subject she brought up was the sh**ty sound mix. She did like the show...but the sound system was a problem. She loved each of the guys acoustic solo numbers; especially rusty's unrecorded tune (Rain?) Not sure...

She also was a tad miffed about being ID'ed 3 times to get two wristbands...but to be fair, we spend a fair amount of time in Tampa, and understand that the Ritz is in the midst of Ybor City and they are used to a much younger and rowdier crowd...especially on a Saturday night.

Think my next Poco sighting will be at Jones Beach w/Richie Furay showing up....opening for Log/Mess...

onward...geo
gwwjk19

Postby MsUp » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:37 am

So sorry to read about the poor sound, at The Ritz (with a name like that, you'd think it was a 'top of the crop' venue, with awesome sound). Knowing them, I'm sure that Poco were more upset, about this issue, than the audience, but gave it their all. I haven't seen a bad show, or heard a bad sound system, in well over a year (whether it's a small church like The Sanctuary, or a beautifully renovated theatre like Infinity Hall, these guys come over spot-on every night, and the venues all seem to care about the sound). I hope that the audience voiced their comments to last night's venue.

I can only remember one or two shows, in the past four years, where the sound issues got in the way of a picture perfect performance. Keep supporting this brand of live music, so we don't find ourselves talking about what 'use to be'.

Rock on, Poco !
MsUp

Postby musicclown » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:20 pm

If the sound was bad throughout the hall there's not excuse for that. The past few years I've been going to small outdoor shows, club shows and auditoriums. I've been impressed with the sound quality. I walk around to make sure there's not just one sweet spots. I've even see sound guys get out from behind the boards and walk around to adjust the sound. Some shows have been lower volume but you can't always complain about that. Just move up a little bit. Next time try buying the sound guys a beer and have a little chat with them.
musicclown

Postby bassman » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:39 pm

With the cost of tickets today and the endless supply of state of the art sound equipment there is NO excuse for bad sound in any venue. A good sound tech will have a full set list in front of him listing who is doing solo's and who is singing lead etc. Send a letter to the venue and if you know who put the show on, send one to them also. They not only want this feedback they need it, because without paying fans there is no audience and with no audience there ain't no show
bassman

Postby Markbot » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:22 pm

I was in 5th row dead center. The bass (drums and bass guitar) was thunderous for both bands. The mix for Poco was definitely better the PPL, but was not perfect. I've only seen Poco about 10 times and this was definitely not the worst sound I've heard. The main speaker stacks at the Ritz are spread too far apart so when you are close you hear more of what's coming off the stage than the main speakers. It should have sounded great closer to the FOB (front of soundboard) where the people doing sound tune it as best they can to their ears.

Poco sounded really tight like they had been touring every night for months. I was truly impressed. I've seen them before when they seemed rushed and a little disorganized, but not last night. It was a really enjoyable evening.

Right now I'm listening to Poco from 07/07/76 from Providence RI. Really nice recording and show.
Markbot

Postby Bogeyfire » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 am

Markbot wrote:I was in 5th row dead center. The bass (drums and bass guitar) was thunderous for both bands. The mix for Poco was definitely better the PPL, but was not perfect...

I've heard the complaint before that many of the soundboard people are typically 20-something who are weaned on rap or heavy metal. The "thump-thump, bang-bang" quality for their preferred genre distorts and mutilates the delicate and harmonious nature of americana and like bands.

I'm not saying this is what happened at the Ritz. I have no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby greggroyce » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 am

[quote="Bogeyfire"]
Markbot wrote:I was in 5th row dead center. The bass (drums and bass guitar) was thunderous for both bands.

I've heard the complaint before that many of the soundboard people are typically 20-something who are weaned on rap or heavy metal. The "thump-thump, bang-bang" quality for their preferred genre distorts and mutilates the delicate and harmonious nature of americana and like band
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It sounds like someone had one to many "Subwoofers" and couldn't handle their "Low-end".

There are alot of factors involved why the acoustics might change between the "sound check" and the show but the difference between "Art and Science" makes for a good FOH
soundman.
:roll:
"What, you get a free bowl of soup with that hat? Hey, looks good on you though."
greggroyce

Next

Return to Poco Discussion