What are you Reading?

Discuss the band.

Re: What are you Reading?

Postby teddy77poconut » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham-----it's the first of a three part fantasy series,very good reading.
Peace,Love,POCO--i love the music and i love my Poconut Pals.
teddy77poconut

Postby cookie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:24 pm

The Help.......
cookie

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:59 pm

The Envoy: The Epic Rescue Of The Last Jews Of Europe by Alex Kershaw. Kershaw is a WWII historian and an excellent writer. Kershaw is the author of The Bedford Boys, The Few, The Longest Winter and Escape From The Deep. If you have an interest in WWII history I recommend any of Kershaw's books.

Dr. G
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby Quinn53 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:04 pm

Been reading the obits. Seriously, it's amazing to read about lives of people.
Quinn53

Postby kroney » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Quinn53 wrote:Been reading the obits. Seriously, it's amazing to read about lives of people.

I'm there with you Quinn,,,Call it strange but it is interesting.
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby nutsince69 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches. By S.C. Gwynne.

Great book on the history and culture of the Comanches. Any of you that are Texans will particularly enjoy it.
nutsince69

Postby crazylover » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:44 am

Shakey. Neil Young's bio (did you know he's NOT Rusty's brother? They hardly even know each other! Teehee.)
~*Alfie*~
crazylover

Postby welder » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:32 am

-the very strange?..."The Snows Of Olympus, A Garden On Mars" by Arthur C. Clarke

at one time i had and read this book about terraforming Mars for plantlife and finally conifers! amazingly Arthur states that pine trees on Mar's lesser gravity would probably be the 'height of skyscrapers' here on Earth! sure, i believe that's possible...he also mentioned this in a few short stories he was into, that future generations of earthlings born and raised there would be taller than on earth due to lesser gravity.

it's my belief now that this could be possible as a norm across the Universe, which this planet knows nothing about...., but? i have no belief in Buzz Aldren's (lunar astronuat) book "Encounter With Tiber" where he writes about an alien race of 'cat people'.......that i consider has no basis whatsoever cheifly because this planet has had enough time (5 billion years) that DNA has had every opportunity to throw every possiblity over time. i haven't seen the movie Avatar but i think their of the same group, with no bases in known reality (again cat people). what if? taller creatures are the norm across the whole universe, (that this is so because the majority of 'habitable zone earthtype planets' are 3/4 the size of our Earth planet!) if that's so you could expect the lesser gravity of such a planet to throw?...what i believe are..15 to 20 ft people clear across the universe! also i've come to believe that only Hominid Creatures can evolve brains....why? because this planet again, has had more than enough time to evolve 'all possibilties'.......i've also come not to believe in space travel...i have no belief whatsoever...because the general trend of this planet has been "plants & creatures of extreme size"....

i believe that the normal habital zone would throw a majority 3/4's Earthtype Size Planets With Huge Trees & Animals...this is an interesting thread to follow as there are other considerations with that size planet of lesser gravity? if? it is considered that lesser gravity in combination with a planet of 'zero axis' could throw?...weather patterns that are more hospitable to life: NO CYCLONES/HURRICANES/OR TORNADOES! TO IMAGINE A PLANET OF ZERO AXIS WITH SUMMER WEATHER, YEAR LONG. BY CONCLUDING THAT THIS PLANET IS 'NO GOOD'! TOO LARGE. FOLLOWING THAT THOUGHT IT'S LIKELY THAT 'SPACE TRAVEL' HAS NO MEANING IN THIS UNIVERSE....ALSO, IT'S KNOWN THAT THIS GALAXY IS A BARRED GALAXY & IMPOSSIBLE TO TRAVEL...WOULD THOSE RACES OF 20FT PEOPLE RIDE HORSES?...I DOUBT IT SERIOUSLY...AND THIS UNIVERSE COULD BE STRANGER THAN STRANGE....I FIND SPACE TRAVEL A ZERO PRIMARILY BECAUSE WHEN A STAR IS REACHED? YOU'VE REACHED 'NO VANTAGE POINT'....ALL OTHER STARS ARE AGAIN, SUNDOTS! I FIND THROUGH THIS THOUGHT PROCESS THAT I ARRIVE TIME AND AGAIN AT A 'DERELICT UNIVERSE'....

-"The Devil We Know: Dealing With The New Iranian Superpower"by Robert Baer '08, (ex-CIA) -- why Bush's removal of our Sunni Allies in Iraq has left it all Shia, both in the government & clerics too with Shia's...(?)that Iran quickly filled the vacuum in the country across the border immediately...that it now controls the whole country of Iraq! way to go Bush!
Last edited by welder on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
welder

Postby MartinG » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Has anybody read this ?

http://www.marchingpowder.com/

(note the author)
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse ? Bruce Springsteen
MartinG

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:12 pm

the facebook effect by David Kirkpatrick.Its the flip side to the movie the social network and offers different perspective on Zuckerbergs motive and reasons for starting up facebook. A fascinating read but yeah he still basically stole the idea embellished it wrote the codes for it, and called it his own.
high and dry in n.y.

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion