What are you Reading?

Discuss the band.

Re: What are you Reading?

Postby stragler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:45 am

J.W. McKenna-slave planet
Last edited by stragler on Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stragler

Postby duffyb » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:51 pm

Nightwoods, Charles Frazier (also wrote Cold Mountain)
Last edited by duffyb on Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
duffyb

Postby stragler » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:34 pm

George MacDonald Fraser-"Flashman" (series)
Vince Flynn-"Executive Power"
stragler

Postby MA_nut » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:56 am

Still plodding through "Life" by Keith Richards. A lot of the book discusses his usage of smack. He goes into great detail about connections from town to town and his methods of getting the right equipment to take the drug. Oh yes.....he does actually discuss music once in a while (sarcasm implied)!!!
MA_nut

Postby kroney » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:17 pm

Currently reading Rosanne Cash, Composed,A Memoir.....
Very well written account of her life,strugles,and relationships both personal and in the music business...
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby Bogeyfire » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm heading out for a long 9hr. drive tomorrow. I just downloaded "Lone Survivor" audio version from the iTunes Store. My sister recommended it. All the reviews sound very good.

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Survivor-Eye ... 0316067598
This is the story of fire team leader Marcus Luttrell, the sole survivor of Operation Redwing, and the desperate battle in the mountains that led, ultimately, to the largest loss of life in Navy SEAL history. But it is also, more than anything, the story of his teammates, who fought ferociously beside him until he was the last one left-blasted unconscious by a rocket grenade, blown over a cliff, but still armed and still breathing. Over the next four days, badly injured and presumed dead, Luttrell fought off six al Qaeda assassins who were sent to finish him, then crawled for seven miles through the mountains before he was taken in by a Pashtun tribe, who risked everything to protect him from the encircling Taliban killers.
Navy Hymn- O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go.
Bogeyfire

Postby RedDirtRog » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:33 pm

Just finishing off Brisinger by Christopher Paolini, then it's on to the final instalment in the series, Inheritance.
Well the music pours out on the street
Just as clean and cool as a cotton sheet

Country Rock, it's timeless
it's song will never ever age
Country Rock, it's in my bones
and they'll be singing along in my grave
RedDirtRog

Postby Patm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:54 am

"Eric Carmen - Marathon Man" by Ken Sharp and Bernie Hogya

As an Eric Carmen fan, a very enjoyable read . I've always liked Ken Sharp's books and this one is no exception.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Postby high and dry in n.y. » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:42 pm

For what it's worth; the story of Buffalo Springfield copyright 1997 by John Einarson and Richie Furay.Poor Rich,trapped in between 2 talented but titanic egomaniacs!Furay partied alittle bit, but kept his head togetherwhile watching Stills and Young battle for supremacy of the band.A good read with plenty of sharp observations by Richie and keen insights as to why the band never did become as popular as they rightfully should have.Well at least we got Poco out of it anyway!
high and dry in n.y.

Postby Pocopag » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:57 pm

At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange. It is the definitive historical account of Pearl Harbor. It reads like a doctoral thesis but there is a reason to my madness - during the academic semester (I am a superannuated graduate student) I have to avoid getting distracted by good reads, so I sentence myself to something fairly mundane. Last good read was Silk Parachute by John McPhee. Have a few things lined up for next week, after my finals. A really great audiobook is Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson - story of a pair of recreational wreck divers who discover a WW II era U-boat - great story, great writing.
Pocopag

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion