POCO at The SandPoint Music Festival 8/6

Discuss the band.

Re: POCO at The SandPoint Music Festival 8/6

Postby MsUp » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:41 am

doncat823 wrote:I was at the Sandpoint showThursday night. I only have one question: why isn't Poco in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

The sound quality continues to be an issue. The highlights of the show, as far as I'm concerned, were Paul's "Bad Weather", Jack's "Hard Country", and Rusty's unreleased "Rain" song. Those 3 songs were the highest quality audio of the evening.

But don't get me wrong; I wouldn't have missed the show for anything. Early in the evening the weather threatened thunderstorms. During the opening act, thunder could be heard booming off in the distance, as well visible lightning flashes. Thankfully, the storm passed us by.

I was smiling the entire evening, hearing some of my all-time favorite songs brought to life. I sat next to 5 young women, probably in their mid-20's, and enjoyed watching them singing along to "Crazy Love", amazed that they knew the words.

A very enjoyable evening.

Thanks for the review, doncat823, and welcome to the 'nuthouse'.
Your question regarding why Poco aren't in the RRHOF, is for another thread (it gets us all hot under the collar). Glad you had fun.
sockless Claudia
MsUp

Postby Dar » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:08 am

yep,thanx and welcome
Dar

Postby brothenb » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:27 am

doncat823 wrote:The sound quality continues to be an issue. The highlights of the show, as far as I'm concerned, were Paul's "Bad Weather", Jack's "Hard Country", and Rusty's unreleased "Rain" song. Those 3 songs were the highest quality audio of the evening.

I got back to the Seattle area after the show late yesterday. Having been in the recording and sound business for many years, I personally thought the sound was pretty darn good. Although I spent the majority of my time right at the stage, I did walk around the entire venue during both Firefall's and Poco's performance to check out the sound. The thunder and lightning nearby only added more "electricity" to everyone's performance.

I was there during the sound check for both bands as well and since everyone was somewhat late getting shuttled in from Spokane due to road construction, it was hot and humid at that point and sound checks were relatively short. When the show began, the weather took a turn with the thunder storms and the sound crew made very quick adjustments since everything can change during the change of humidity and weather conditions and the sound company did a great job of adjusting to those changes. The Sandpoint venue is a great place for shows. It is set in a small fairground setting right off part of the lake. The stage was covered and very large which gave the bands lots of room to move around during the perfomance. There was a set of grandstands where a lot of people sat, however there was a large grass area between the front of the stage and the grandstands where the majority of the people sat. The facility rented lawn chairs for those that wanted them, but most of the people on the grass area brought blankets and packed in the area. It was the first night of the Festival and there were many local vendors set up with local food and "spirits" including a beer garden and wine tasting.

I spent time visiting with the band before and after the show and between the event organizers, security, hospitality people and everyone else involved with the show, I've never met a bunch of nicer people running the operation. Like Doncat's comment, I was surprised to see as many "young" people singing along with so many of Poco's songs. I met one gal who brought an embroided jacket for the band to sign. It was a hand embroided jacket of the cover from the Very Best of Poco album (the one showing an embroided western shirt). She brought the jacket to last years show and had Richie sign it, and this year she was able to get the boys to sign it as well.

I brought up a bunch of smoked salmon from the Seattle area for the band to enjoy before the show with "orders" that some of it makes it back to Mary since she couldn't attend the event. Caroline was there and was a hoot to spend time with and it was sort of a kick off to Paul's and Caroline's anniversary weekend.........Happy Anniversary you two (8/08) :-)

All in all, I thought this was a great show, in a great venue, in a great part of the country. Now we just need to get them even closer to the Seattle area.

Studiogirl - Thanks for the tip on Ivano's Restaurant! Turns out that I had no problem finding it since the "condo" I stayed in was located on the top floor of the same building. The food was fantastic and between eating there the first night I was in town and their booth set up at the fair, I think I met all your cousins. What a wonderful bunch of people. They said to give you lots of hugs and kisses and hope you make it there again soon for a visit.

Ben
brothenb

Postby doncat823 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:19 pm

Ben,

This was my 3rd trip to Sandpoint. I love it there; it's only a 90 minute drive from where I live just outside of Spokane. Not the trek you had to make from Seattle. Sandpoint is a pretty idyllic place to see a show, under the stars with the lake in the background. Saw Richie there last year (and Sam Bush and Drew Emmitt 3 or 4 years ago), and after the show I had to ask myself why I stopped listening to his music. Living outside of Spokane, the drive anywhere to see that kind of music is well worth the trip. Spokane wants to be more like Seattle, but in actuality, they're not even in the same class as Missoula. Unless you're 20-something.

We sat in the grass area, center stage, maybe 5 rows from the stage. It's impossible NOT to have a good time at the Festival. The social atmosphere just blows you away. Even sitting in line before the show (which we did for 4-plus hours), visiting with complete strangers, there's just something in the air.

"I remember the feeling, not so long ago
The kids came dancin', their hearts were romancin'
And the music was live Poco
Some called it country, some called it rock and roll
But whatever the sound, it was sure to be found
With a heart, rhythm and soul

Do you remember then, how it was when it all began
Do you remember then, how the music made you feel, when it all began

Summer nights in the park, and when the music would start
Ooh what a time and then some
We sang together, "a good feelin' to know"
Yeah we turned it up loud, gave our hearts to the crowd
But then came the end of the show"

I can't wait to see them again, someday.....
doncat823

Postby brothenb » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:59 pm

doncat823 wrote:Ben,

Spokane wants to be more like Seattle, but in actuality, they're not even in the same class as Missoula. Unless you're 20-something

LOL.......I can TOTALLY relate to your comment......I lived outside of Missoula for several years up by Salmon Lake and for a college town, Missoula is pretty impressive. I have a brother and his family that live in Post Falls so I tend spend as little time as I can in Spokane :-)
brothenb

Postby doncat823 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:41 pm

A couple of years ago (maybe 2) the Rolling Stones played in Missoula. Elton John also played there, and then at the end of the tour, by popular demand, another show was scheduled. Now I'm not a fan of Elton John, but playing 2 dates in Missoula and passing up a larger city like Spokane (only 3 hours away) speaks bunches. "Way back" in 1974 I happened to see Fleetwood Mac in Missoula at UM.

I read on Richie Furay's website that he was planning on playing a few dates on the west coast in the fall, and was trying to schedule Portland or Seattle. It'd be nice if he could squeeze a date in Spokane.
doncat823

Postby DukieBoy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Beautiful country up there, enhanced no doubt by the fine music.
I'm in MN, been up to NW Montana a couple summers, wished I could have caught a Poco show over in Sandpoint.
Thanks for sharing, it brought forth good memories.
DukieBoy

Postby jab » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:10 pm

My wife and I were at the concert last week in Sandpoint. It was really a wonderful evening with lightning flashes to the north and south of the stage but no rain; Ospreys flying overhead. Rusty's new song "I Can Stand a Little Rain" (I think that was the title) was really fun and fitting for the night. I hope more new material is coming.

After a bit of a shaky start it was a solid show. I've seen Poco three time in the last five years and I truly believe they are one of the most talented bands ever. It is a pure joy every time I get a chance to see them.

Paul looked a little tired; I hope he is well. Any news about him?
jab

Postby Timstiles1 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:36 pm

My wife and I drove up to Sandpoint from Boise..8 hour trip..big state. It was worth every minute and every cent spent. The last time we had seen them was in Montana when they recorded "Bareback".

I expected a good show, but what we got was a fantastic show. They just seem to be getting better all the time. I am a musician and play at many outdoor venues, where many times the sound is very difficult. I have to say that this was a a very favorable venue, and for the most part, I thought the sound guys did a terrific job.

Rusty and Paul both sounded great vocally, and their harmonies with Jack were much tighter than the last time we heard them, Rose of Cimarron was especially spot on. Jack did a wonderful job on "Hard Country" and Rusty's new tune was a big hit. Magnolia was outstanding. Also had never really seen George do his chops, since Bareback was pretty much an acoustic night..damn that boy can drum!

Great venue and a great night! Also stayed and saw Boz Scaggs on Saturday night..another great evening..the man still has it going.
Timstiles1

Postby MsUp » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:12 am

jab wrote:My wife and I were at the concert last week in Sandpoint. It was really a wonderful evening with lightning flashes to the north and south of the stage but no rain; Ospreys flying overhead. Rusty's new song "I Can Stand a Little Rain" (I think that was the title) was really fun and fitting for the night. I hope more new material is coming.

After a bit of a shaky start it was a solid show. I've seen Poco three time in the last five years and I truly believe they are one of the most talented bands ever. It is a pure joy every time I get a chance to see them.

Paul looked a little tired; I hope he is well. Any news about him?

Welcome to 'nutsville, jab. Sounds like you had a great time at Poco's recent show in Idaho. As for Paul looking tired, that's a long trip from Key West to Idaho (probably making a stop or two along the way), they had just done 2 shows back to back in Florida (Tampa & Orlando) where he got great reviews. I saw him with The Paul Cotton Band in The Keys on 7/25, and he was awesome. From the other reviews, right here, it sounded like Paul was smokin' in SandPoint, Idaho.
MsUp

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion