Rinoceros Reunion

Discuss the band.

Rinoceros Reunion

Postby bassman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Anyone remember Rinocerous. They were billed as the first super group. Last night at Kitchener Blues Festival they did there first gig together since 1973. 5 of 7 orgianals were played and I must say they sound damn fine. Having never heard them live back in the day it was a real treat to see them play. Just to keep this within the POCO family (kind of a stretch) but orginal guitarist was Doug Hasting played in Buffallo Springfield with Ritchie.
bassman

Re: Rinoceros Reunion

Postby jimmym » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm

WOW!!!! Thanks for the info. I have not heard that name in a long time. They were great.

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby Here In GR » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:21 pm

I even had the record!Maybee I still do, but HOW could I loose a Rinocerous in my basement? I think that Billy Mundi who was the MOTHER's drummer was on it. One of the members was near here a few months ago as a solo singer for a concert.
Here In GR

Postby bassman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:16 am

Billy Mundi was indeed a member but he and Doug Hasting were not playing at this gig and the Bass player was going to be in the fist band but joined for their 2nd and3rd album.
bassman

Postby mpsasmith » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:38 am

I saw this band open for the Jeff Beck Group at Yale University back around 1969. If I remember correctly the lead guitarist for Rinoceros was playing a home made guitar.

They were pretty good that night but watching Jeff Beck play with Rod Stewart on vocals and Nicky Hopkins on keyboards overpowered the opening act.

Marc-
mpsasmith

Return to Poco Discussion