Early Times & later too

Discuss the band.

Re: Early Times & later too

Postby MsUp » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:01 am

jonr wrote:Lawmsh: I grew up in the New York area, and I heard Poco on the radio a lot. But only on WNEW-FM. Never on WPLJ. Especially Pete Fornatale, but also Scott Muni, Jonathan Schwartz, Dennis Elsas, Dave Herman, and even Alison Steele. "What If I Should Say I Love You", "And Settlin' Down", "Restrain", "AGFTK", "Crazy Eyes", "Let's Dance Tonight" and a few others were heard quite often. When I went to college in Philly (1974), I hardly ever heard Poco on the radio there, but heard them when I got back home. I even made a tape of a few of the WNEW DJs announcing Poco songs to prove to my roommate (who I turned into a Poco fan) that I heard them a lot at home. I think I still have that tape somewhere. I even have Pete Fornatale playing "Bad Weather" into ISP's "PNS (When You Come Around). Scott Muni also played "Rose of Cimarron a lot. But the one I heard most was AGFTK. I was shocked later on to find out that it was not a huge monster hit everywhere! Claudia, Keith, Linda, Toni: do you agree? Or did you not hear them a lot either?

I hear you, Jon, and agree. As much as 'FM' radio played the heck out of Poco, that #1 hit was always 'just over there' (the top 40 stations did not play Poco, until the Legend LP - Crazy Love & Heart of The Night). That being said, certain songs were regional hits (that we never knew about), Paul mentioned that some of their songs did very well in Hawaii (I believe one of those songs was Please Wait For Me).
Having known Rusty & Paul (and, of course, Richie) for 4 decades, I can tell you that we all felt that A Good Feelin' To Know should have been #1 (it was such a disappointment to everyone, that it didn't make it big). The same is true for 'Keep on Tryin', 'Rose of Cimarron', 'Days Gone By', etc. There are very few bands, with such consistantly good music, releasing LPs and singles on a regular basis (each one better than the last), and touring the country along side all the top acts. Interesting that you never heard Poco on the radio in the Philly area, because they sold out The Tower Theater more than once. From Boston, to DC, Poco were the hottest 'live act' in the business, all through the 70s, and into the 80s and on to the new millennium.
Poco continue to be our favorite 'alive' band, ain't nothin' better.
MsUp

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion