CSN on Long Island

Discuss the band.

Re: CSN on Long Island

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:30 am

Not many people have the talent and or insight to write a decent review in the style that you have, Tony.

Example;
The Southside Johnny show we saw. I'd say it was good as hell, it blew me away and probably not much more. Okay, I may get in to the horn section a bit and as it was the first time I had seen them, it was all new to me and they put on a damned fine show.

Now, to take a major left turn, I'd like to mention the BoDeans, and Los Lobos as bands that put out great stuff with each new recording. The BoDeans do rely on their money stuff, simple chords, mid-America story telling but still pretty consistent in sounding fresh both from the studio and live.
Having said that, I'll agree with you that other members should try their hand at reviews of shows and CD's.
You work in the written media and you do that in the city that is known for it's precision and depth in writing and review so you have the edge.
Still, old dogs, new tricks. Worth a try. I may find something and give it a whirl.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby wini » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:52 pm

DrMichaelGalvin wrote:wini, it ain't apples & oranges. Ever hear or see the Eagles in concert. Electric segment is equally as tight as the acoustic segment. I'll go a step further. If you have seen Crosby & Nash perform this year or CPR the past couple of years and saw CSN&Y last year which band was tighter and sounded better? Your guess. And Crosby's voice gets better and better with age and Nash sounds the same as he always has.

Dr. Galvin

Well Doc, the Eagles are one of the rare exceptions where a band is like wine - they're a lot better now than they were in the 70s (I'd say). They can afford it, they put in the time and resources needed and required. Henley's voice is a lot stronger now, TBS has stayed the same pretty much, but Frey and Walsh have trouble with their vocals this time around. The instrument mix is fantastic though.
Crosby went through a long low and seems to have recovered now, Nash has pretty much stayed the same, Stills is getting worse every time around vocally. Young pretty much stays the same, with him it depends on whetehr he wants to sound 'clean and good' or 'rusty' ...
wini

Postby DrMichaelGalvin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:29 pm

Rust never sleeps.
" I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake." Ernest Hemingway
DrMichaelGalvin

Postby Lonesomedave » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:57 pm

Ha! My favorite Young album with my favorite Young song, Thrasher which I consider to be my life's story in a song.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby sunsetkidd » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:23 pm

TonyNYC wrote:Except for 2 or 3 cuts on Daylight Again (got to disagree with you on Daylight Again

Yeah; I'm on board with that. A few REALLY good cuts on that, (including - surprise - Crosby's 'Delta', which I really like...and quite a story in the box set booklet about how they had so much difficulty getting that song finished because Crosby's hashpipe fell off of the piano...)but I thought the rest of that album was just maybe the most lame CSN; esp. Nash's stuff.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby TonyNYC » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:15 pm

And oh yeah, Dave, Thrasher is completely amazing.
TonyNYC

Postby TonySTL » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 am

TonyNYC wrote:One of the things that this CSN thread made me realize is that so few of the people who have been playing for years-especially the more well known names-continue to put out new and good music that measures up close to their hey day.

So for me the only guys from the first wave of music I listened to who have done reasonably good stuff over the last decade are Dylan and maybe Van with Brian Wilson thrown in if I can count Smile (which I probably shouldn't be allowed to count).

For the second and third waves, I'd throw in Hiatt and Forbert (neither especially big names) and Springsteen, possibly Jackson.

Tony, I'd have to add Richie's I Am Sure and Heartbeat Of Love, both in the last five years. Calling Out Your Name is one of my favorite songs and it SHOULD have been on radio stations or in a movie soundtrack. And then to have such an excellent live release. Richie is definitely relevant in my mind and I am more than satisfied at what he's doing lately! There are times live and on his recordings that I would even say that he sounds better.

And, Tony, I know you'll never get your new Abba release but you'll get by on that *other* less danceable music!! =D Maybe even a dream come true and Brian and Bjorne would get together!
TonySTL

Postby TonyNYC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:37 am

Well Tony, I thought of incuding Richie, but no matter how much I like the live album-and I like it a lot and even though Richie's vocals are still just about all there I don't think any of the old songs sound better than they did back then often because the songs miss Rusty's pedal steel work almost as much as Poco misses Richie's vocals and Rusty's steel guitar-it's mostly older material except for one of the songs Jesse sings.

Still, I like the last few religious records a lot too and I probably should have included him in my list.
TonyNYC

Postby TonySTL » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:03 am

Hey older Tony, I'm calling a foul!! I said I threw in the Live release. I am Sure and HOL were new releases...I thought that was your point? Sure, some of the songs were written years earlier and a couple on HOL were from earlier albums but they were still fresh releases from someone who has been writing stuff for over 45 years. I loved the touch of having Neil Young on Kind Woman since he wasn't around much for the latter BS work. I have never asked Scott if he plays PSG but he does a good job on the LS. The steel on IAS and HOL is just right for me.

I hope you get the chance to see Crazy Eyes live with RFB.

I love that Rusty includes A Little Rain... in many of their sets.
TonySTL

Postby TonyNYC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Yes Tony, that's what happens when you get older like me and don't read things careful enough...But I guess basically I am agreeing with you about Richie who I am hoping to see with his band in Jersey if I could figure out how to get there and back. With Poco at Jones Beach isn't going to be nearly enough of MR Furay.
TonyNYC

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion