Richard Thompson - Solo Princeton, NJ 2-17

Discuss the band.

Richard Thompson - Solo Princeton, NJ 2-17

Postby wheland » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Just got home from a great Richard Thompson show.

I've never been to a bad RT show- be it a solo, duo, trio or full band show richard has always done a great job entertaining the audience. Tonight was no exception.

He did a mix of his most well known- and loved - songs and tracks from his latest albums. He seemed to do about 2/3 of the songs from the requests yelled out by audience members.

I've been to shows by Richard in the past where he would subtly move people away from yelling out songs but tonight was different. I think it probably had something to do with his last 3 shows which were at the City Winery in NYC earlier this week. They were all all-request shows so he mentioned he thought he could control his show tonight but it seemed to have gotten away from him- and the audience loved it.

We got tracks like 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, Persuasion, Crawl Back (Under My Stone), Let It Blow, Easy There Steady Now , Shoot Out The Lights, Wall Of Death, Beeswing, When The Spell Is Broken, Valerie, Dimming Of the Day, Sidney Wells and a number of others. He did his Britney Spears number- Oops, I did It Again as well.

He did just under 2 hours basically without a break- he did stop after 1 hour 40 minutes and walk of stage and came back twice for encores .

Masterful guitar work and incredible word interplay both in the songs and in the conversation with the audience.

Dennis
wheland

Re: Richard Thompson - Solo Princeton, NJ 2-17

Postby TonyNYC » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:54 am

Thanks Dennis. Makes me wish I made those Winery Shows. Next time, for sure.
TonyNYC

Postby brinash » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 am

I listed in another section of this board live concerts I have seen that have stuck with me. I failed to mention the first time I saw RT, which was in Hopland California in 1997 (you can find this on sugarmegs.org, and I highly recommend you give it a listen). From the first chords I was dumbstruck. I sat in the summer solstic sun as he ran through an incredible set, including "Pharoh" and "Hamlet," two songs he usually does not include. I was knocked out by "Beeswing," in awe during "Ghost of You Walks." I've seen him three times since, once with a band, and he's never failed to deliver.
brinash

Postby TeukuTajuddin » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:42 am

I must appreciate your work. It’s fabulous. I like your wedding collections, the most. It’s really nice. Thanks, for sharing.
TeukuTajuddin

Return to Poco Discussion