The Mod Squad and Bones: A Poco Connection

Discuss the band.

The Mod Squad and Bones: A Poco Connection

Postby Jemrys7 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:25 am

The Mod Squad and Bones are my two all-time favorite shows. They both have a Poco Connection that I wanted to write you all about. I have been renting Season 1 and 2 of The Mod Squad from Netflix in Season 1 Volume 2 there is an episode of The Mod Squad called "The Death of Wild Bill Hannacheck" where Murray MacLeod(who played singer Bob Travis) performs "Picking Up The Pieces" by Poco. He mentions the Band Poco and their song. That is where I first heard of Poco back in 1969. I didn't start really listening to the Band until 1972 though. Murray was a friend of Jim Messina's and he is the young narrator on "Native Sons" and Barry Sullivan is the older narrator on that album also. The song was "It's Alright". Finding this episode was exciting to me!

In Season 3 of Bones in one of the episodes the one where Seeley Booth is kidnapped and tortured; Brennan and her father share an intimate moment where he tells her how much she used to love the song "Keep On Trying" by Poco The actual song by the Band is played in the Background. Throughout the show Poco gets mentioned. The final scene of the show after Booth is found by Brennan and her father; is Temperance Brennan and Seeley Booth sitting in the Diner talking about and singing the song and then Poco's rendition of the song ends that episode. I was so proud of our favorite Band, Poco!!
Jemrys7

Re: The Mod Squad and Bones: A Poco Connection

Postby studiogirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:31 am

Jemrys7 wrote: Murray was a friend of Jim Messina's and he is the young narrator on "Native Sons" and Barry Sullivan is the older narrator on that album also. The song was "It's Alright".

Barry Sullivan was Jimmy's first father-in-law. Jimmy married Jenny Sullivan in 1970 as I recall.
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Jemrys7 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:35 am

You are definitely right on that one,Studio Girl. I knew he was married to Jenny Sullivan but didn't know the year they got married. Thankyou for pointing that out.
Jemrys7

Postby studiogirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:41 am

Let's hear it for nepotism in Hollywood!!! Yay!!!! LOL
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Dar » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:28 pm

way cool
Dar

Postby Gretschwhitefalcon » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Jemrys7 wrote:The Mod Squad and Bones are my two all-time favorite shows. They both have a Poco Connection that I wanted to write you all about. I have been renting Season 1 and 2 of The Mod Squad from Netflix in Season 1 Volume 2 there is an episode of The Mod Squad called "The Death of Wild Bill Hannacheck" where Murray MacLeod(who played singer Bob Travis) performs "Picking Up The Pieces" by Poco. He mentions the Band Poco and their song. That is where I first heard of Poco back in 1969. I didn't start really listening to the Band until 1972 though. Murray was a friend of Jim Messina's and he is the young narrator on "Native Sons" and Barry Sullivan is the older narrator on that album also. The song was "It's Alright". Finding this episode was exciting to me!

In Season 3 of Bones in one of the episodes the one where Seeley Booth is kidnapped and tortured; Brennan and her father share an intimate moment where he tells her how much she used to love the song "Keep On Trying" by Poco The actual song by the Band is played in the Background. Throughout the show Poco gets mentioned. The final scene of the show after Booth is found by Brennan and her father; is Temperance Brennan and Seeley Booth sitting in the Diner talking about and singing the song and then Poco's rendition of the song ends that episode. I was so proud of our favorite Band, Poco!!

Do you know which episode of Bones 3rd season?
Gretschwhitefalcon

Postby studiogirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Mike: I Googled "Bones" keep on tryin' and found this: The episode is apparently entitled "The Killer in the Concrete" and was first aired Apr 4 2007. Here's the link to the website: http://heardontv.com/tvshow/Bones/Seaso ... e+Concrete
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Lonesomedave » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 pm

studiogirl wrote:Let's hear it for nepotism in Hollywood!!! Yay!!!! LOL

I didn't know they had Nepotists out yonder! Do they use the snakes and talk in tongues like ours do?

"And this I say to you-ah! Get yourself right with Nepo-ah! Can I have an amen?"
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby studiogirl » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Lonesomedave wrote:I didn't know they had Nepotists out yonder! Do they use the snakes and talk in tongues like ours do?

"And this I say to you-ah! Get yourself right with Nepo-ah! Can I have an amen?"

LOL...I thought nepotism was invented in Hollywood...? I think it replaced communism during all the black listings in the early 50s. Sadly, the snakes out here are human, and the speaking in tongues is called "double speak".

But I can give you an "AMEN"....Image
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby TonyNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 pm

Now I remember hearing Pickin' Up The Pieces on Mod Squad, but I don't remember anything about any male singer, just Julie singing background and shaking her tambourine in some fringed vest.
TonyNYC

Next

Return to Poco Discussion