New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Discuss the band.

Re: New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Postby hzryb » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:27 am

I'll 'third' the full band Bad Weather idea... it's still my favorite Poco song.

As for revamped set lists, I think it's a good idea... for a lot of us here, we see the band several times (or more!) a year, and a little variety and unpredictability wouldn't hurt.

I know there is limited time to rehearse, etc etc etc,

I'll have to dig in to Wolfgangs Vault and listen to this set... after I'm done with all the Woodstock tributes this weekend. (Listen to Pete Fornatele this afternoon at 4pm on wfuv.org)

Speaking of Pete, I'm really looking forward to the Richie Furay taping up at Bethel Woods next week, and of course the Poco/LM show that night.
hzryb

Postby petervanleeuwen » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:26 am

It was september 29 in the year 1975 that my heroes finally came to Holland to play an incredible sold out show at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. I had been a fan since 1972 and in those "digital prehistorical days" it was very hard to get any information about Poco in Holland, apart from some raving articles in "Muziekkrant Oor". And of course, I had all the albums that had come out, which I had played a thousand times with tears of joy in my eyes. And enjoyed the rich covers! So now I would finally see the band that made my life so rich musically alive. I was very excited and managed to climb behind the stage and meet George Grantham. He signed my T-shirt (selfmade with the faces of the guys) and I went back to sit and wait for the show to begin. It was in the break. America had opened the concert with a great performance, but the crowd was shouting for Poco. The lights dimmed and Poco entered the stage. For the first time in my life I could see Paul, Rusty, Tim and George alive. What followed has always been in my memory as the best show I've ever seen. Well, the Vault now gives me the chance to go back to that (almost same) show again (and again) after 34 years. And what a treat. What a great band.
I have always told anyone who would listen, and this show proves it again, that Rusty plays the steel like no one does or can. With great love and taste and so gentle and sweet. Bad Weather with Rusty on steel and Paul on guitar is the best country rock song and Ride the country with Paul on guitar and Rusty on steel is the best rock country song ever.
petervanleeuwen

Postby mcdtj » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:57 am

guitarbro wrote:Awesome. Boy they were on top of it wern't they. I remember seeing them as a quartet right after Richie left, and they kicked butt. Lots of energy, and great licks.
George Grantham has to be the best percussionist ever. Outstanding Vocals.

Amen. Kinda reminds me of how we sounded at our last hoedown in Borrego Springs. :D
mcdtj

Postby studiogirl » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:04 am

mcdtj wrote:
guitarbro wrote:Awesome. Boy they were on top of it wern't they. I remember seeing them as a quartet right after Richie left, and they kicked butt. Lots of energy, and great licks.
George Grantham has to be the best percussionist ever. Outstanding Vocals.

Amen. Kinda reminds me of how we sounded at our last hoedown in Borrego Springs. :D

"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby MsUp » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:04 pm

petervanleeuwen wrote:It was september 29 in the year 1975 that my heroes finally came to Holland to play an incredible sold out show at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. I had been a fan since 1972 and in those "digital prehistorical days" it was very hard to get any information about Poco in Holland, apart from some raving articles in "Muziekkrant Oor". And of course, I had all the albums that had come out, which I had played a thousand times with tears of joy in my eyes. And enjoyed the rich covers! So now I would finally see the band that made my life so rich musically alive. I was very excited and managed to climb behind the stage and meet George Grantham. He signed my T-shirt (selfmade with the faces of the guys) and I went back to sit and wait for the show to begin. It was in the break. America had opened the concert with a great performance, but the crowd was shouting for Poco. The lights dimmed and Poco entered the stage. For the first time in my life I could see Paul, Rusty, Tim and George alive. What followed has always been in my memory as the best show I've ever seen. Well, the Vault now gives me the chance to go back to that (almost same) show again (and again) after 34 years. And what a treat. What a great band.
I have always told anyone who would listen, and this show proves it again, that Rusty plays the steel like no one does or can. With great love and taste and so gentle and sweet. Bad Weather with Rusty on steel and Paul on guitar is the best country rock song and Ride the country with Paul on guitar and Rusty on steel is the best rock country song ever.

Well said, 'Poconut Petey'. You're not just a great husband, father, friend, environmentalist and record producer, you're a fan. So glad to know you.
MsUp

Postby pupilm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:41 am

Yes MsUp,

Today's lineup brings it night in and night out. Amazing the pace they are keeping forty years (plus) later. As long as they are bringing it, this nut will be along for the ride. Hope you enjoy the next couple weeks. Bring extra socks along. You'll be needing them.

MsUp wrote: I'm sure you'd have to agree, pupilm, that today's Poco are better than ever (PSG, lead guitar, mandolin, bass, dobro, powerful vocals, and the sweetest harmonies this side of the Pacific Ocean).....keeps me, still comin' back for more.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
pupilm

Postby MsUp » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:32 am

pupilm wrote:Yes MsUp,

Today's lineup brings it night in and night out. Amazing the pace they are keeping forty years (plus) later. As long as they are bringing it, this nut will be along for the ride. Hope you enjoy the next couple weeks. Bring extra socks along. You'll be needing them.

MsUp wrote: I'm sure you'd have to agree, pupilm, that today's Poco are better than ever (PSG, lead guitar, mandolin, bass, dobro, powerful vocals, and the sweetest harmonies this side of the Pacific Ocean).....keeps me, still comin' back for more.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I'm not sure if I'll be packin' socks (I'm running low), for these shows. It's gonna be one heck of a weekend in the great Northeast, and don't think for one minute, that we aren't eternally grateful, for all these opportunities. Thank you, Poco, (Richie, George and Jim & Kenny). Everyone will want to jump on board, to get close to your collective flame, just remember, we are always with you.
MsUp

Postby hzryb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:26 pm

I finally listened to the show today at work... good quality audio and a great performance. Rusty was en fuego on the PSG. That's one thing I kinda miss in the current performances... no rip-roaring PSG breaks.

It may be time to bring back the Leslie speakers!!
hzryb

Postby Jim_in_Arkansas » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks for posting this! Really great live recording. Boy, could George play the drums.
After listening to this concert, I listened to Richie at the Bottom Line 1978. Another great show. http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/r ... -5873.html
Jim_in_Arkansas

Previous

Return to Poco Discussion