New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Discuss the band.

New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Postby Dutch » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:02 pm

Touted as Wollman Memorial Skating Rink (New York, NY), Oct. 22, 1975. Very nice, very clear recording.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/p ... -5559.html
Dutch

Re: New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Postby jonr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:37 pm

August 22, 1975.... I was there, my first Poco concert. Taped for King Biscuit
jonr

Postby jonr » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:48 pm

This sounds great! I'll never forget listening to "Sagebrush Serenade" with the big city buildings on Central Park South behind them....
"Steel Guitar!!!!!!!"
jonr

Postby flaco » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:27 pm

i was there also... i notice the set was only an hour... never could understand why they never played 2 sets... they had the crowd in the palm of their hands....
flaco

Location: Fresh Meadows N.Y. Palm Desert C.A. South Windsor C.T.

Postby TonyNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:36 pm

I was there also and every other time Poco played Schaeffer. I'm also pretty sure that they always played more than an hour-an hour was way too short and I would have held it against them forever-even though they often played two shows a night in the Park

I even remember the one time-probably the summer after Crazy Eyes was released-being on the subway and me and my friends were going on and on and this cute girl leaned over and informed me that Poco had cancelled and Laura Nyro was playing instead. Now I love Laura, her music and the way she looked, but she couldn't do what Poco was able to do on stage in those days.
TonyNYC

Postby plowhorse » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:02 pm

Listening to this concert as I'm typing. It brings back so many fantastic memories of their shows back in that era. I know I will probably get pilloried for saying this, but I think there is a vibrancy in the old shows we don't see now. Maybe it has to do with the tempo or instruments (Rusty was playing a lot of banjo back then and he was playing more lead on steel). By way of example (and this isn't meant to take anything away from Paul solo), I was struck by how great Bad Weather sounded when played by full band. I can't remember when I last heard it played like that.

There have been past posts discussing the pros and cons of updated set lists, and I for one, after hearing this show, hope Rusty and the band gives some consideration to fine tuning the set lists if possible. Now, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I want to say I still have the utmost respect for the guys and will continue to go to shows when I can (3 so far this year). I know the logistics as they are now make it extremely difficult for the band to make changes, and maybe I'm living in the past, but, just ask yourself, "what if?".

Let the flogging begin...
Last edited by plowhorse on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all here because we're not all there...
plowhorse

Postby darrelp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:35 pm

What a terrific sounding concert. Thanks.
darrelp

Postby kroney » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:29 pm

plowhorse wrote:Listening to this concert as I'm typing. It brings back so many fantastic memories of their shows back in that era. I know I will probably get pilloried for saying this, but I think there is a vibrancy in the old shows we don't see now. Maybe it has to do with the tempo or instruments (Rusty was playing a lot of banjo back then and he was playing more lead on steel). By way of example (and this isn't meant to take anything away from Paul solo), I was struck by how great Bad Weather sounded when played by full band. I can't remember when I last heard it played like that.

There have been past posts discussing the pros and cons of updated set lists, and I for one, after hearing this show, hope Rusty and the band gives some consideration to fine tuning the set lists if possible. Now, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I want to say I still have the utmost respect for the guys and will continue to go to shows when I can (3 so far this year). I know the logistics as they are now make it extremely difficult to make changes, and maybe I'm living in the past, but, just ask yourself, "what if?".

I'll second the fullband Bad Weather idea......
With courage, strength, faith and hope we will face one day at a time.
kroney

Postby TonyNYC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:30 pm

plowhorse wrote:Listening to this concert as I'm typing. It brings back so many fantastic memories of their shows back in that era. I know I will probably get pilloried for saying this, but I think there is a vibrancy in the old shows we don't see now. Maybe it has to do with the tempo or instruments (Rusty was playing a lot of banjo back then and he was playing more lead on steel). By way of example (and this isn't meant to take anything away from Paul solo), I was struck by how great Bad Weather sounded when played by full band. I can't remember when I last heard it played like that.

There have been past posts discussing the pros and cons of updated set lists, and I for one, after hearing this show, hope Rusty and the band gives some consideration to fine tuning the set lists if possible. Now, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I want to say I still have the utmost respect for the guys and will continue to go to shows when I can (3 so far this year). I know the logistics as they are now make it extremely difficult to make changes, and maybe I'm living in the past, but, just ask yourself, "what if?".

Well, I'm on your side.

Whether it's due to advancing age, a predictable set list filled with a whole bunch of mid tempo songs, lack of time together to rehearse, Rusty's spending too much time singing and playing rhythm guitar and not on pedal steel, banjo or god help me 'the bear' and missing Richie and Tim, their voices and energy (yes, I like George II too and Jack, especially his solo stuff, and will continue to see Poco once a year or so), the band from '68 to Tim's departure just put on a more high energy, kick butt show and damn I miss that.
TonyNYC

Postby CurlyQfromLI » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:46 pm

I was at that show...terrific...
was also at the Schaeffer Music Show..oh, to go back to a simpler time in my life !!

I think the tickets cost a whopping $2...!
I wonder what it would cost today with inflation !!

I, for one, consider myself lucky that I've been able to see them in person several times (maybe not as much as Claudia..LOL) and still able to see them today. They're aren't many bands that you can say that about..

<3
:D

Follow your dreams, it's really all that you can do
Give it your best, and remember that life is what you choose
Follow your dreams, and do what you love to do
CurlyQfromLI

Next

Return to Poco Discussion