New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Discuss the band.

Re: New Poco at Wolfgang's Vault

Postby pupilm » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:20 pm

One of the better recordings I've heard from that era. Steel guitars, mandolins....and great harmonies.
pupilm

Postby wheland » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm listening right now and it sounds just great to me.

Dennis
wheland

Postby MsUp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:50 pm

Dutch wrote:Touted as Wollman Memorial Skating Rink (New York, NY), Oct. 22, 1975. Very nice, very clear recording.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/p ... -5559.html

Thanks, Dutch ! Very nice, and, of course, me was there (remember when, Toni B ?).
Probably MsUp's 226th Poco gig, or, there abouts. Can you see me smiling, feel my foot tapping, and can you hear me singing my head off ???

:D :lol: 8-) :o ;) :roll: :) :D :lol: 8-) :o ;) :roll: :) :shock:
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:04 pm

kroney wrote:
plowhorse wrote:Listening to this concert as I'm typing. It brings back so many fantastic memories of their shows back in that era. I know I will probably get pilloried for saying this, but I think there is a vibrancy in the old shows we don't see now. Maybe it has to do with the tempo or instruments (Rusty was playing a lot of banjo back then and he was playing more lead on steel). By way of example (and this isn't meant to take anything away from Paul solo), I was struck by how great Bad Weather sounded when played by full band. I can't remember when I last heard it played like that.

There have been past posts discussing the pros and cons of updated set lists, and I for one, after hearing this show, hope Rusty and the band gives some consideration to fine tuning the set lists if possible. Now, before everyone gets their panties in a bunch, I want to say I still have the utmost respect for the guys and will continue to go to shows when I can (3 so far this year). I know the logistics as they are now make it extremely difficult to make changes, and maybe I'm living in the past, but, just ask yourself, "what if?".

Let the flogging begin...

I'll second the fullband Bad Weather idea......

I'll third the fullband Bad Weather idea....
As much as I adore Paul singing her by himself, I'd really love to hear it done, with Rusty on PSG & Jack adding bass and harmony, and GL tenderly giving her a heartbeat.
Listening to this recording (OMG), and now that I'm sure Paul has the words down pat, Poco must add Ride The Country to the set, sooner than later (Paul ripped into RTC at Boondocks).

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:13 pm

pupilm wrote:One of the better recordings I've heard from that era. Steel guitars, mandolins....and great harmonies.

I'm sure you'd have to agree, pupilm, that today's Poco are better than ever (PSG, lead guitar, mandolin, bass, dobro, powerful vocals, and the sweetest harmonies this side of the Pacific Ocean).....keeps me, still comin' back for more.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:17 pm

jonr wrote:This sounds great! I'll never forget listening to "Sagebrush Serenade" with the big city buildings on Central Park South behind them....
"Steel Guitar!!!!!!!"

What a goodie ! Tim nailed that vocal every night, and the steel is awesome.
There hasn't been one bad moment, in 40+ years.....

WALK TALL, POCO ! ! !
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm

jonr wrote:August 22, 1975.... I was there, my first Poco concert. Taped for King Biscuit

I love Tim's chatter before Railroad Days, telling everyone that they are all a part of The KIng Biscuit Flower Hour, and here we are, many of us, listening & together again, some 34 years later, almost to the day.
The sound is really good, all the instruments POP, Rusty's steel, Paul's crispy & deep fried licks, Tim's bass lines, George's drumming, all the vocals are so ON !
Poco should be filthy rich $$ today, but for right now (and always), they are rich with our love.
MsUp

Postby MsUp » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 pm

AGFTK just about blew me away, I'm totally spent. Oh right, and they still have enough left to slam dunk us with A Right Along.
MsUp

Postby Mystic » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:27 pm

Man, I hope Wolfgang puts this up for download. I'd gladly pay the $10 for this. I don't understand why they don't allow more downloads. They can make money off this!
Mystic

Postby guitarbro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:59 pm

Awesome. Boy they were on top of it wern't they. I remember seeing them as a quartet right after Richie left, and they kicked butt. Lots of energy, and great licks.
George Grantham has to be the best percussionist ever. Outstanding Vocals.
guitarbro

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion