NEW JERSEY POLICE CAPTURE DYLAN!

Discuss the band.

Re: NEW JERSEY POLICE CAPTURE DYLAN!

Postby darrelp » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:12 am

litlfeat wrote:As far as Bob's singing, let's face it. He ain't never been a great singer

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Anyone who thinks Bob Dylan is not a great singer doesn't understand what great singing is. Bob was not originally signed as a songwriter, he was signed as a singer. A folksinger. A really original and good folksinger. He sang with Joan Baez for goodness sake. She thought he was great.

He is a chameleon. You cannot compare the voices in "The Times They Are A'Changin'" to "Highway 61 Revisited" to "Tangled Up In Blue" to "Time Out Of Mind". The voice is always perfect for the music being played. It is exceptional and beautiful.

Karen Carpenter is a great singer. Barbra Steisand is a great singer. Joe Cocker is a great singer. Michael McDonald is a great singer.

Bob Dylan is an exceptional singer.

Sorry to go off, this just hits me in my weak spot.
darrelp

Postby drmojave » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:43 am

darrelp wrote:
litlfeat wrote:As far as Bob's singing, let's face it. He ain't never been a great singer

Anyone who thinks Bob Dylan is not a great singer doesn't understand what great singing is. Bob was not originally signed as a songwriter, he was signed as a singer. A folksinger. A really original and good folksinger.

-
you are right on the money darrelp. i have often said that you don't have to have a great voice to be a great singer. there is more to it than just the pipes. phrasing is everything. dynamics play a huge role. the most important ability in a singer is to evoke feeling, create ambience. dylan did that as well as anyone. "new morning", "if not for you", "sign on the window", "lay lady", "she belongs to me" are just a few classics. dylan was a master vocalist. i won't bore you with my dylan/woodie guthrie story again.
-
"to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free. silhouetted by the sea". indeed!
out in the great mojave, there's a city that i know
with a truckstop, a dairy queen, and a recording studio.
-
if you drive all night in the pale moonlight, this road will take you home.
oh ludlow, i'm comin' home to you.
drmojave

Postby drmojave » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:46 am

litlfeat wrote:I can't even recognize myself anymore, let alone Bob Dylan!
I keep asking, "Who is that guy with the forehead that seems to go on forever and that white beard? Can't be me, can it?

As far as Bob's singing, let's face it. He ain't never been a great singer, but like John Prine, who else could sing those great songs? I love his voice 'cause it's Mr. Dylan.

For me, it's just proof that musical talent is deeper that the voice.

-
well said bob. i think they call it "soul".
-
drmojave

Postby drmojave » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:59 am

studiogirl wrote:
drmojave wrote:when i met shaqille o'neal in my friend's recording studio last dec., i recognized him. he is stil in his 30's. he didn't recognize me until after we had been proprerly introduced.

I didn't recognize you, either...until you had been properly introduced, though the blinking light hanging around your neck was a dead giveaway...even "the other Jimmy M" knew it was you.... :wink:

(I guess Shaq didn't know about blinkies...)

-
carolyn. i figured you and i would find each other. what was it? oct 2004 in solvang. i wore the mini strobe light blinkie for jimmym. being the light show/strobe light pioneer that he is, i figured he would enjoy it. he loves shiny and flashy things. as far as the messina thing, i was in the center isle seat about 7-9 rows back. messina was observing my strobe light blinkie from the stage. i figured i was about 1-2 minutes from being singled out from the crowd to be admonished about the light. i wisely extinguished it to pre-empt the impending admonishment.
-
you, jimmym, santa fe jay, saltman and justin, marianne(sp), what a great 2 nights of music. jimmym especially enjoyed "the one that got away" by kenny loggins. "angry eyes" was superb.
-
drmojave

Postby wini » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:53 am

drmojave wrote:i am a 61 year old guy. if i passed eddie vedder on the street, i doubt that i would recognize him. but, if he came over and told me he was eddie vedder, i would know it was he. same with coldplay guy.
-
to extend the analogy, tiger woods is internationally iconic. most people would recognize him on sight. he is in his early 30's. old/young people would recognize him.
-
dylan is historically signifigant as well as artistically important. dylan changed more than music, he changed history. people should know who he is from many perspectives.

To be quite honest: I couldn't tell Eddie Vedder from any other thirtysomething long haired due in the street, cause I never cared for Pearl Jam. I don't have the slightest clue how the Coldplay guy looks, or what his name is. But they're both huge with younger geneartions.

And to extend the analogy, as I never gave a dime for golf, I doubt I could pick Tiger Woods out of a 6-face collection.

And talking about faces, and as you have talked about history: Dylan today doesn't look like he did 45 years ago.

Or maybe their thoughts were completely different: "If he really were the famous Bob Dylan, would he strolling around a house all by himself? Wouldn't he have some kind of posse with him: a lawyer, a hairdresser, a chauffeur, groupie to the left, groupie to the right? Wouldn't that be how famous people appear in public?"
wini

Postby litlfeat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:34 am

darrelp wrote:

Anyone who thinks Bob Dylan is not a great singer doesn't understand what great singing is. Bob was not originally signed as a songwriter, he was signed as a singer. A folksinger. A really original and good folksinger. He sang with Joan Baez for goodness sake. She thought he was great.

He is a chameleon. You cannot compare the voices in "The Times They Are A'Changin'" to "Highway 61 Revisited" to "Tangled Up In Blue" to "Time Out Of Mind". The voice is always perfect for the music being played. It is exceptional and beautiful.

Karen Carpenter is a great singer. Barbra Steisand is a great singer. Joe Cocker is a great singer. Michael McDonald is a great singer.

Sorry to go off, this just hits me in my weak spot.

Sorry to have caused you any undue pain...I could have stated it a little better. I love Bob's singing. I also love Mr. Prine's, hence the comparison. I guess what I meant was his voice is "rough around the edges". We're on the same sheet, I think.
We are living in the future. I'll tell you how I know. I read it in the paper, 15 years ago.
litlfeat

Postby Lonesomedave » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:56 am

wini wrote:To be quite honest: I couldn't tell Eddie Vedder from any other thirtysomething long haired due in the street, cause I never cared for Pearl Jam. I don't have the slightest clue how the Coldplay guy looks, or what his name is. But they're both huge with younger geneartions.

This is starting to bother me. The, "Coldplay" guy has a name, Chris Martin. He's married to Gwyneth Paltrow, the actress. Coldplay is a fine band with a good lineup and a nice body of work. Rush of Blood to the Head is a great album. Chris has done a lot of charity work and had a part in Ricky Gervais', The Extra. He's a very funny guy and the exact opposite of what a rock star should be. He's a talented family guy.
Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam comprise one of the best bands to come along the last twenty years and I have all of their stuff including the soundtrack from, I Am Sam where Vedder does a great cover of, Hide Your Love Away.
Music didn't start with Dylan nor has it been placed on hold while he's alive. His voice? I've heard people say the exact same thing about Richard Thompson. I find that odd. Already mentioned here, Dylan tailor's his vocals to match his songs. Just like his touring partner, Willie Nelson.
I also agree, I would think a big celeb would have someone with her or him. Unless of course they were in NYC.
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Patm » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:27 am

Straycat wrote:This story would make for a good song....

Sounds strangely reminiscesent of an 80's song "Tweeter And The Monkee Man" by some obscure band called The Traveling Wilburys. It was sung by band member Lucky Wilbury who could have been a Bob Dylan soundalike.

Hmmm.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Postby wini » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:35 am

Patm wrote:
Straycat wrote:This story would make for a good song....

Sounds strangely reminiscesent of an 80's song "Tweeter And The Monkee Man" by some obscure band called The Traveling Wilburys. It was sung by band member Lucky Wilbury who could have been a Bob Dylan soundalike.

Hmmm.

The singers real name was Roberto Carpentero, he was from Northern Minnesota, but of Italian descent with a German name. He had been looking for a recording contract for ages before, nobody wanted another guy trying to sound like somebody who copied Springsteen copying Dylan. But then he found 4 similarly minded elderly musicians and linked up with them, one of them being Thomas Petting Rickenbacker ... the rest is history.
wini

Postby studiogirl » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:45 am

wini wrote:Or maybe their thoughts were completely different: "If he really were the famous Bob Dylan, would he strolling around a house all by himself? Wouldn't he have some kind of posse with him: a lawyer, a hairdresser, a chauffeur, groupie to the left, groupie to the right? Wouldn't that be how famous people appear in public?"

That's part of the fun with Bob Dylan...he is not what you expect. If you expect a posse, he'll be alone; if you expect him to be dressed up, he won't be. And thank goodness for that!
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion