what do we think of the new site

Discuss the band.

Re: what do we think of the new site

Postby aceinoc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:33 pm

i think this board is fine. I agree that the old emoticons were a little better but not a big deal. I was wondering about the increase in SPAM I have been receiving lately but it did not occur to me that the SPAMMERS found my email via the board. Interesting.

I guess my concern is that POCO is missing an opportunity to grow their following and the 'brand' but not having updated content on their main website and especially their homepage. The Stagecoach gig was by all accounts amazing and the reviews in the LA Times were so positive. Not having anything about this gig and the summer tours, other than that area itself is squandering an opportunity. It takes time to create content and everybody is busy. But updated history...press releases posted and then sent to local media around live performances could sell more seats...largest revenue generating activity for the band these days (I am speculating here)...merchandise sales could increase with better coverage and of course recordings sales.

I also wonder how much or how little POCO uses Facebook, MySpace and Twitter(I do not Tweet...)? There are plenty of young folks out there (I am 58...oy!) that are locked in to 'Classic Rock', and Country Rock is a close cousin. POCO's music stands the test of time...and gaining a wider audience is possible...not easily done for sure, but possible.

The band is first rate and the friends I have made via this board and the Hoedowns in Borrego are such a wonderful addition to my life. So thank you POCO and all the 'Nuts. This board is a beautiful thing...

8-)
'I don't know where we are going, but I'm on my way.'
aceinoc

Postby Straycat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:18 pm

aceinoc wrote:I guess my concern is that POCO is missing an opportunity to grow their following and the 'brand' but not having updated content on their main website and especially their homepage. The Stagecoach gig was by all accounts amazing and the reviews in the LA Times were so positive. Not having anything about this gig and the summer tours, other than that area itself is squandering an opportunity.

Ace,

You make a great point here. I've asked before about WHEN the homepage (now called "News") would be updated. Except for the story about the new site launching, all the rest of the stories are 3 years old (Merry Christmas 2006 ???). How hard can it be to delete those and add fresh content (links to Stagecoach videos, press reviews, upcoming shows, etc.)

Overall, I think the new site is great- especially the concert photo section. Surprised with all the shows this year that more people don't post their concert pics here, rather than a social networking site (Facebook, etc) that a lot of us don't belong to.
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby aceinoc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

thanks straycat,

maybe we should help the band out in a meaningful by submitting content to them? Why not? does POCO have a network of local fans to help them promote shows? that could be a positive use of our collective energies...just a thought...

Hey straycat, do you play an instrument? ever been to a hoedown? the borrego springs get togethers are a blast. many come who do not play just to heckle us pickers and enjoy each others friendship and share POCO stories...

Last weekend in March 2010...Hoedown VI...book your rooms early...be there or be square...

:D
'I don't know where we are going, but I'm on my way.'
aceinoc

Postby studiogirl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:34 pm

aceinoc wrote:Hey straycat, do you play an instrument? ever been to a hoedown? the borrego springs get togethers are a blast. many come who do not play just to heckle us pickers and enjoy each others friendship and share POCO stories...

Last weekend in March 2010...Hoedown VI...book your rooms early...be there or be square...

:D

I've been workin' on him for a couple of years now...I guess I'm not very persuasive. I believe he claims to play cowbell (never enough of those!) Anyhow, he sent me this photo with the caption "Here I am after my FIRST hoedown...." In an effort to convince him he'd fit right in, I sent him a photo of Zog after HIS first hoedown:

Whaddya think...am I right? Would he fit in???
"Do a little dance,
Take a little chance..."

--(Young & Young)
studiogirl

Postby Lonesomedave » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:38 pm

studiogirl wrote:
When you click the "quote" function and it displays above the typing area, you can use your mouse to select the text you want to DELETE, and then delete it. Theoretically, what remains is what you want to quote.

This was something that another site I was on for years used and so I found it old hat.
It's actually easier once you get used to the function.

As Rog is, "off the fence", he's right. We have lost several folks along the way. I think that's a matter of choice more than anything.
I was inactive for a while as I had life issues and there have been times when the site slows down. There's a lot of threads about the shows but the band hasn't been close to me in quite sometime and so I pass those threads over.
I do wish they'd wander down this way. I was at a party in Clemmons, NC the night they played there and they did a show in York (?) SC another time but I was unable to attend that one either. Maybe someday......
"Half a loaf is better than a kick in the head. You tell me what you mean and I'll tell you what said.
I sent you for jelly, you come back with jam. Who exactly do you think I am?"
R.Hunter
Lonesomedave

Postby Patm » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm

[quote="aceinoc"]i
I guess my concern is that POCO is missing an opportunity to grow their following and the 'brand' but not having updated content on their main website and especially their homepage.
[quote]

Excellent point. They really should put some info about that show.

I had problems in initially trying to log on, but when i tried a month later, it went smoothly. So far, I think the new site is fine.
"Don't Stop The Carnival." (You've got to play by Kinja rules.)
Patm

Postby Straycat » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:48 pm

studiogirl wrote:
I've been workin' on him for a couple of years now...I guess I'm not very persuasive. I believe he claims to play cowbell (never enough of those!) Anyhow, he sent me this photo with the caption "Here I am after my FIRST hoedown...." In an effort to convince him he'd fit right in, I sent him a photo of Zog after HIS first hoedown:

I can't believe you still have that pic (well, I guess I can).
Yep, still a master of the cowbell, and my bucket list includes a stay in room #8 at Joshua Tree and a side trip to the Hoedown. Maybe next year....
Life is too short to listen to sh!tty music
Straycat

Postby jimmym » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:16 pm

I'm starting to warm up to this place. At first I did not like it much, I really like it now! Hey, did I just sound like TOGBT? :P

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes
jimmym

Postby hzryb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm

So far, I like the new site... would like to see a little more input from the band itself in the news section, but that doesn't have anything to do with the new site - the old site had a scarcity of 'real' info from the band.
hzryb

Postby severalpieces » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 pm

It's a bit more of a process, however, I am adaptable .... reluctant at times, but, nevertheless adaptable. I mean, hey ... as Buddha would say... WTF, it is what it is !!
:lol: ;) :lol:
Bev!
"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream..."
severalpieces

PreviousNext

Return to Poco Discussion