Oh no...Hurricane Bill On the Move !!

Discuss the band.

Oh no...Hurricane Bill On the Move !!

Postby CurlyQfromLI » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm now officially having an anxiety attack, as I watch the TV news and weather reports for this coming weekend..

Hurricane Bill may hit the east coast area Saturday and/or Sunday...

What about the PNC and Jones Beach concerts...????

Jones Beach especially, since it's on the water. Let's hope it blows out to sea.
I can deal with clouds and even a little drizzle, but not hurricane force winds.

I've been waiting 10 months to see POCO and I don't want anything to stand in my way !

Follow your dreams, it's really all that you can do
Give it your best, and remember that life is what you choose
Follow your dreams, and do what you love to do
CurlyQfromLI

Re: Oh no...Hurricane Bill On the Move !!

Postby sunsetkidd » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Present forecast has Bill missing east coast U.S. entirely, traveling north between the states and Bermuda. The only warnings being given (at present) concern huge swells and deadly rip currents, which will be generated by the storm from hundreds of miles away. I think concert goers should be fine; but Jones Beach folks might be better off ignoring the urge to cool off in the surf on Friday night.

Here's a link to the national weather service for the path of the hurricane during the next 5 days. These links for weather don't remain stable for long though:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphic ... l#contents
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Postby jerzeypocofan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Jones Beach will be in trouble on friday night according to tonights news
I'm A Wide Open Space Cowboy
I Got Lazy Ways I Got Some Hidden Joy

Fins Up!
jerzeypocofan

Postby Dar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm

this is awful,all be careful,and stay safe
Dar

Postby sunsetkidd » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:08 pm

Well, now, this gives just a bit of cause for concern. The National Hurricane Center still maintains a course for Bill to veer comfortably far enough away from the coast, as shown in the link above (the link is stable, and updated frequently).
But accuweather.com, which on occasion differs from the U.S. government weather services, in their latest update has shifted their track for Bill somewhat to the west. Check out the farthest west course for this major hurricane:
http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurric ... rmProducts
The good news, even as this shows a possible brush with our coast, is that as late as 11pm on Saturday the storm is still centered pretty far to the south, and the PNC show should be in the clear, if the times shown here are correct.

Well, four hours later, the updated graphic from the link above has shifted the blue zone well off the NJ coast...that's a relief. A few hours ago the Jersey shore was in the blue, on this same page. Great. Let's hope this trend continues. But you poconuts in New England, note how Cape Cod and Eastern Massachussetts are squarely within that blue zone.
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
- Bogart
sunsetkidd

Return to Poco Discussion